CPF IS DOWN for a bunch of people.

Tomas

Banned
It 'twitched' here a few times and didn't respond to a hearty kick, but came back up within minutes (2.6Mb/s Comcast/Earthlink).

T_sig6.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been down for me as well (West Coast)... Just got back on, but it definately does look like an ISP twitching, as I couldn't log on at my friend's place as well, with SBC...

Greta

Flashaholic
CPF did go down for some. Seems that some of the major routers on the internet took some hits from hackers this weekend. Our server has been re-routing routers all weekend and ours got done this afternoon. Some of the major ISP (and some smaller ones) had thrown up "protection" and they were refusing the new routers from our server. SOOOOOOOO... our server has been busily contacting the ones they knew about and telling them to get with the freakin' program. A bunch of us have been over at Darksbane and I told them how to do a traceroute and email that to our server so they knew which ISP'w to contact.

Looks like everything is working itself out now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
It was down for me for a few hours but obviously now I can reach it again. I checked at Strategos and didn't see any mention of the downtime, so I figured it was an ISP problem.

MicroE

Enlightened
I'm starting to think that hackers can bring down parts of the internet because it is just so EASY. Easy, that is, because the internet has become too complex.

The more complex a system, the more vulnerable it is to failure.

I'm not a programmer. Maybe one of you computer gurus can explain (in small words, please) what stabilizes the internet and prevents it from crashing due to its own complexity.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
CPF wasn't down for me, unless it was down secretly between around 1:30pm and 2:00pm today - at which time I was out of the house and away from the computer, or from around 5:00pm to around 7:00pm today - at which time I was at home but not on CPF that much.

I did read a little blurb in the paper the day before yesterday that a hacker attack on the internet was "iminent" but they didn't mention exactly *when* the attack would be. Servers running Windows XP were said to be particularly vulnerable. Maybe a few of those servers got hosed.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
for the past week or so i haven't been able to access cpf with my regular ISP...so i figured it was a DNS problem with my ISP. i've had to use a spare dialup account i have (and still am). hopefully this gets resolved quickly...using dialup is so slow when i've gotten used to adsl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like we're both having the same problem Chamenos, my ADSL connection has been refusing to get me connected to CPF for some reason, so I'm also on dialup. And I truly understand what you mean when you say dialup is slow... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Looks like it could be a DNS problem with some of the ISPs over this side of the world, cos I think Hotbeam was having some problems as well on this thread here..

Hope it gets sorted out soon... I've sent an email to Digitalprinceton with the trace route results from my side, and hopefully its something they can inform my ISP about to get it fixed... I'll let you know if it gets resolved..

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey stanley, i just tried accessing cpf with my adsl account, and its back to normal!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif give your isp a few more days....hopefully they would have fixed the problem by then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif good luck!

Greta

Flashaholic
I did mention that you all had been having problems all week when I spoke to DP yesterday and they said they knew. It had to do with all of the hacking and re-routing that was happening all over the net for the past week. Hopefully, things will level out now.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
hey stanley, i just tried accessing cpf with my adsl account, and its back to normal!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif give your isp a few more days....hopefully they would have fixed the problem by then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yippee!! Guess what too, Chamenos? I just got back home, and thought I'd give it a go on my ADSL...and voila! I'm (or rather the flashlight makers) back in business!! Glad to hear its worked out for you too Cham... Thanks to the guys at Digital Princeton, whatever they did... great job and thanks!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif Oh, and thanks for the tips too on sending the trace route reports to DigiPrinceton, Sasha!