Goodbye OLD CPF Friend From An Old CPF Friend! A Tribute To Greta And History Of A Great Forum!

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny how the soap opera stuff that goes on here is so much easier to let go than in real life?

Well I admit sometimes I still get a little pissed thinking about that, but that's more of a personal fault on my part!

:yellowlaugh:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Huh, well I got banned over Surefire once, and I wasn't even criticizing them directly.

When I signed on it was SureFire worship and Maglite hate (ironically, Maglite was hated for suing a small company, Arc)

The Maglite bashing grated on me at times, just petty pointlessness that would turn a thread into a dogpile on Maglite.

Anyway, in such a thread, somebody posted something negative about SureFire and ended up banned. I pointed out the hypocrisy that the whole thread was dumping on Maglight but that guy got banned for saying something bad about SureFire. I was promptly banned.

That was a long time ago (like 2008) so it's ancient history now, and that particular mod who I despised eventually left so it's all gravy.
I definitely recall some Maglite bashing.... Then again, it was justified. I'm sorry, but it was. How are you going to sue a company for having words printed around the bezel of their single-AAA light that looks literally nothing like your single-AAA offering. Claiming you created that. Created what? Printing on a bezel?? That's beyond ridiculous! Even more ridiculous, he actually won that lawsuit.

To say that the owner and CEO of Maglite is sue-happy would be a massive understatement, in my humble opinion. Granted, over the years there have been some lawsuits which he initiated that were 100% deserved. But the one against Arc sure as heck wasn't. He deserved to be treated like garbage for that one. But Karma bit him on the backside....

Single largest Palimony award in U.S. history. Yeah, if you want to leave your two lazy biological sons part of your company in your will who have done literally nothing to help you make it a success and whom you haven't seen in countless years; that's one thing. When your Life partner of many years whom you treat as a wife but never actually married, asks you why you're doing that. Don't treat her and your two step-sons (all of whom have helped you make your company a success) like garbage. He actually called all three of them good "employees."

As far as those who complained over getting banned due to criticizing SureFire back in the day, I'd sometimes check out their posts after they complained. More often than not, they made themselves out to be completely innocent. Just criticizing the brand. Well, no; there was usually more to it than that. Folks try to paint themselves in the best light possible. Yeah, that doesn't work if the moderators or admins. leave their offending posts up for others to read. Other times, individuals were trolling. Warned numerous times. Kept at it. Eventually got banned. Complained it was over nothing, or for being critical of SureFire. Well, that's not true. That last post they left before getting banned might seem like a very minor rule violation. But it doesn't shows the numerous other ones that came before it.

To be clear, not saying I don't believe you when you say you were banned for criticizing SureFire. Am saying that if such a hush-hush policy existed back in the day, how in the world was I never banned for my countless posts criticizing SureFire? Seems bizarre to me that the single biggest "offender" on all of CPF was never banned for criticizing SureFire. Just seems bizarre. That's all I'm saying.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the seemingly capricious nature of banning, thread locking, and so on was part of what aggravated me. Some would get banned and some wouldn't. There was one member (long gone now) who was pretty much an a-hole and known for it, but that guy never got banned, though there were others who acted the same way and did get banned.

I mean, it's an internet forum, not a court of law; can't expect too much after all! :LOL:

Greta

Flashaholic
Thank you everyone, especially Gene, for this thread. GREAT to see @Sigman ! It has been forever!

Life does go on but for too many now, it has ended. I just found out the other day about BullzeyeBill. I always looked forward to seeing him and Patty at SHOT Show.

It was time for me to move on. I had been at this for 20 years. Honey had retired and it was time for me to do the same. Mr.Ed and I discussed how CPF would move forward and that my primary concern was the members and maintaining the integrity of CPF. That is what created and maintained the success of CPF. When I was satisfied Mr. Ed had the same concerns and would continue on with that integrity, I made the decision to sell to him. (sidenote: I'd had many offers in the past but rejected them).

There were way too many changes once Mr. Ed took over that I just simply could not embrace. It has been almost two years now and in some ways, I still grieve as if I've lost a child. I met so many amazing people and made some lifelong friends that I still care very much about and keep in touch with.

I'm glad many of you are still around and enjoying the forum. As with everything else, things evolve. If you all are happy with it.... (and with me and my moderation staff gone)... then I guess that is all that matters.

Godspeed, my friends... and always be well.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thank you Gene for all your posts and knowledge. And thank you Greta for keeping this place in line. I really had no idea there were assorted controversies going on. Always just stayed on the surface. No deep dives. It's still been great. Hope the forum and I can make it for twenty more years.

Geoff

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like the like button.

I used to lurk a vape forum filled with grouchy x-smokers who puff puff puff'd on vapes all day to no avail. They had various like type buttons but it kept a running score of which type of "reaction" another member gave your post. I used to enjoy getting the Oscar's all whipped into a frenzy just by not agreeing with many of their rants. There were 2 camps there. The cloud makers and those who hit a vape like a cigarette. The cloud makers hated the ones who "took a drag" from their vape. And boy those people would retaliate with the "mad" button.
I dropped out of the place when they started a marijuana section and ads for pot seeds, and other illegal in my state items bombarded my screen when I posted there. It was a free for all place with anything goes except profanity. When I left I had like 75 likes and like 375 "mad" reactions. lol.

It's always been refeshing to hang out at CPF as there are really no Oscar's here.
IMG_9905.jpeg

^^ an Oscar

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The cameraderie of the members is what kept me here for quite a while. Greta was nice as pie! to me anyway lol.
I remember a work trip I had to Mesa, AZ and I made a post about being in the area about a week before I was to visit....Darned if it didn't turn into a great afternoon/evening with an impromptu CPF gathering!

View attachment 45186
Dawg gonnit Roger. Never knew you were Andre the Giant's younger brother.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh photobucket, how many many threads have you ruined?
Oh, PHOTOBUCKET,
I used to have a PAID subscription for my posted reviews. I now pronounce it F'itbucket.
They have ruined many thousands of thread here on CPF.
They went south under new ownership. They 5X'ed the prices for hosting photos, and now
have their right to superimpose their LOGO on the those that relied upon the system they have ruined.
I still have all originally hosted photos on local storage, but find it taxing to have to go
and edit all the content that I have shared here that is no longer viewable. My current is Dropbox.
If we'd have only known what was coming back then.
Very happy to see Greta is still around, I miss the older days.
GL

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
...Guy from Match Box Instruments...
Guy With No Name was a really great guy and such a responsive and innovative thinker. He and Henry (HDS) are the only two light makers I ever met, probably three or four times each, and I'd definitely like to meet up with them again, not to mention the legendary get together gatherings, where I ended up getting my LS20 in exchange for an 007. Think one of my titanium Clicky's came from that same meeting, in Canada even!

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't want to go off topic, but I think in response I would also like to add "Guy" onto the list.
He was a wonderful innovative person whom I and "kaichu dento" have been graced with his personal interaction.
Miss You Guy. I have tried to reconnect with him. Unfortunately I have not been able too since him leaving Japan
and closing MBI.
GL