CAT100 - a cat food can thrower (100kcd)

Dr.Jones

Newly Enlightened
Hi... I feel like posting my ...uhm... 'special' design thrower here, the CAT100, a cat food can thrower with 100kcd.

Inspired by aspheric lens based throwers I decided to try something like that on my own, but with sort of minimal workmanship since I don't have a hardware workshop. I took the biggest lens on DX, the 66mm lens, with an effective diameter of 61mm, focal distance of 44mm from the plane side, 67° aperture angle (full width), NA 0.55, and tried to find a housing for it. I ended up with a can from some cat food, adjusted with some pliers.

2ens0np.jpg

The battery compartment (14500) is rolled paper with a 1.0A linear driver taped on top and a left over tail cap clicky as switch. I'm clearly not happy with it's sloppy attachment to the body, but I just wanted it to work. The LED is thermo-glued onto a 2mm copper plate which is thermo-glued into the can.

I measured 104kcd (measured at 6m and 11m, with suspiciously consistent results).

Mounted on a tripod with clamp with one of my cats that somehow wanted to be in that picture, too:
x22fpf.jpg

Finally, some beam shots:
WPG

As you can see, "throw" depends on the brightness of the target.

It even lights up the stars:
ddgpah.jpg

(just kidding :)

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a great idea !!! I also happened to have a cat ! I'll look into that.

This is what CPF is all about.. And I sure like it..

All the best,

Ra.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who says Germans don't have a sense of humor!

I think you have the worlds longest throwing cat food can!

ICUDoc

Enlightened
GREAT project- the dichotomy between the ghetto-quality construction and the astounding ghetto-lighting beamshots is magnificent!!!!

pepko

Newly Enlightened
this is the ugliest homemade project I have seen here ... but it is the most throw cat food can !!!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is hilarious. You even have a built in anti-roll feature. I also noticed you are using the EZ900 version XR-E. :naughty: I finally after all this time got my hands on a few.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely Class!

obviously 8 out of 10 flashaholics said their cats preferred it!

Imagine what you could do with a nice tin of Chum!!!!!! :devil:

lovecpf

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi... I feel like posting my ...uhm... 'special' design thrower here, the CAT100, a cat food can thrower with 100kcd.

Inspired by aspheric lens based throwers I decided to try something like that on my own, but with sort of minimal workmanship since I don't have a hardware workshop. I took the biggest lens on DX, the 66mm lens, with an effective diameter of 61mm, focal distance of 44mm from the plane side, 67° aperture angle (full width), NA 0.55, and tried to find a housing for it. I ended up with a can from some cat food, adjusted with some pliers.

LOL,

There is a host for this lens, it's an inexpensive DX shower head flashlight,
the lens will fit in with minor grinding on the edge, no need for a hardware workshop:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/264722

Can't wait to see your next Mod: CAT500, using 12 inch round Cat food bucket :crackup:

saabgoblin

Enlightened
So does the light smell like Friskies once it starts to heat up and are you now being followed by hoards of stray cats as of late?:grin2: Nice Job!