Once in a lifetime view of Mars in August!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Perhaps you've seen this info?
-------------------------------

This month Earth is catching up with Mars, an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history.

The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.

Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide.

At a modest 75-power magnification Mars will look as large as the full moon to he naked eye.

Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August Mars will rise in the east at 10 p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

But by the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30 a.m.

That's pretty convenient when it comes to seeing something that no human has seen in recorded history.

So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

Share this! No one alive today will ever see this again.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if "they" could see my SNII from here. Martians would definately attribute the tight-bright-whiteness to a higher life form

We should all agree on a time in which to flash Mars. Hopefully they won't see it as an attack.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Jason

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I ought to get my 50mW green laser and shoot it through the butt-end of my best telescope - around 25x or 28x.
Aimed at Mars, of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Of course, my windows all face north/northwest, so I'd probably have to wait until 4 or 5am. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
But at magnitude -2.9, I ought to be able to find it even with all the light pollution here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I just went outside and damn, it is bright.

It's a full moon and that's also bright but you can clearly see Mars. No mistaking the candy bar in the sky.

Does anyone remember the 4 planets that "lined up" about 4 years ago. They were all in an arc. That was pretty cool too.

Luminocity

Newly Enlightened
I was out at one of my astronomy club's star parties last weekend and observed Mars at midnight throuh my 8" Meade LX90. You could actually see the polar ice cap along with some surface texture! Truly amazing!

JOshooter

Enlightened
I hate you all, I have a housing complex obstructing my view. I guess I will just have to settle with staring into my flashlights one-by-one.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw Mars Sunday A.M. Sure was bright. I was also looking for the meteor shower and I didn't see a one. It'll peak Wed or Thur. This A.M. it was clouded up and I couldn't see s*it. I'll look again tomorrow.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a nice sight. Pretty similar info as DavidW's link with some other interesting stuff:

*edited to give correct URL*

Space Weather

Here's a real favorite...a little off topic:

Satelite Tracking

Try the J-Track 3D. Once it loads, left click/hold and manipulate the world.

lightnix

Enlightened
I may even get my 8" telescope out for the first time in years...

But don't forget that old annual favourite, the Perseid meteor shower, which peaks from August 12th-13th. Always worth a sleepless night. Shame I'm stuck here in London for it this year, rather than down in Devon like the last two years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Happens everytime here in Anchorage!! A week of rain & cloudy skies forecasted! Though the Mars display is supposed to be for the month peaking on the 27th, so maybe, just maybe...