Streamlight LED Task-Light

emann

Newly Enlightened
I was looking for a decent affordable LED flashlight for work today and ended up with a Streamlight LED Task-light. I wanted something with a little size to it as I already have an L4 for my EDC light. It's rated at 35 lumens and only ran me about $30. Does anyone else own one of these or have any opinions on them? By the way those little TL series Streamlight's looked really nice and seemed to be a good light for someone unable to afford an L4 at about $80 less.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one, and I love it, great quality, good feel, and an excellent beam, and throw.

I just returned from a night trip around the property; carried my TL SL Luxeon, PT Surge, SL4AA Xenon Propolymer, TL-2 LED, and the TL-3 LED.

The 3AA SL Lux is great in throw, good side spill, less white (this will vary as always) than the TL-2 LED, but wonderful performance for the $$$.

Hard to beat horsepower, the Surge blows everything away, in throw, spill, just lots of LUMENS. The 4AA Propolymer has great throw, no side spill, just a narrow beam.

The STAR is the SL TL-2 LED, good throw, GREAT side spill, bright as can be considering it's just one watt. The TL-3 LED is bright, doesn't focus NEAR as tightly, so the throw is really not greater than the TL-2, but more lumens in the side spill. A much larger hot spot, both very uniform. The center hot spot does not appear to be brighter than the TL-2. Just wider. Both my TL's are white, the TL-2 being perfectly white, the TL-3 just a little, uh, not sure, just not as white.

I love the flood focus on both TLs, very useful if you are not burning holes in walls from 6 inches.

emann

Newly Enlightened
Mine seem's to be pretty white in the hotspot but a little green on the outerbeam. Is this normal? I did notice that if I shine this one against a wall and then shine my L4 at the wall at the same time the TL's beam is totally overwhelmed by the L4. My L4 is also much whiter. I guess with the price difference this is to be expected.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are comparing a one watt (TL 3AA Lux) with a five watt (L4). Of course the L4 would be brighter.

Every Luxeon is a crap game in color, tint, and output, regardless of the brand name. Surefire, Streamlight, and others don't make the blasted things.

chumley

Enlightened
I killed my SL 3AA Luxeon Tasklight last night by accidentaly dropping it head first on the sidewalk. It is on its way back to Streamlight to be fixed. They probably dropped prototypes during testing and almost never broke one. I drop it once and manage to break it! It is a very usefull light, I'll have to make do with my Arc LS until my Luxeon Tasklight returns.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am very interested in the streamlight TL-2 LED and the TT 2L.

anyone have actual runtime experience with these?

i can see the TL-2 led running close to claims, but i wonder about how long the xenon in the TT2L will really run. would you get perhaps an hour of bright light, then 1.5 hrs of dim yellow blob?

Bob

oops: i did mean the TT 2L!

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
TL 2L ? If you mean the Twin-Task 2L; I have had the original batteries in my two TT 1L's, and in my TT 2L, for several months. I have used them a LOT. No dimming yet, probably because you use the 3LEDs a lot, and it would take a LONG time to run it down that way.

I think SL rates the 1L at 1 1/2 hrs. on the Xenon, the 2L at 2 1/2 hrs. I think that would be fairly accurate. They are NICE lights.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
bob,

I have a TL-2 LED and LOVE it. It is very bright and white with suprising throw. It completely replaced my E2 w/ 25 lumen MN02 bulb, and mostly replaced my green L1. I am still on the original batteries that were in it when I got it about a month ago, and it is still going strong. The longest that I have run it at a stretch was about 20 minutes, and it gets just a touch warm, but by no strecth of the imagination hot. The only complaint that I have is that the pocket clip came with a lot of sharp edges, and was a bit dangerous to chair arms and shirt tails, but that was fixed easily enough.

steinie

Newly Enlightened
I have two of the Streamlight 3AA LED tasklights. Nice size, build, and beam. Love that it uses standard AA cells instead of expensive lithium cells......

Mine seem to be brigther than the Streamlight TL-2's that I have. One does have a slight green tinge around the beam, but that's the Luxeon Lottery for you. It's not bad enuff to send back, just noticeable compared to the others.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the excellent comments.

im somewhat interested in the 3AA luxeon, but i think it would be too big for my need.

however, i think it would make an EXCELLENT house light. i may buy some and give them out as christmas/b-day gifts.

Bob

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
I have had the Streamlight 3AA Luxeon (not sure what the official name is) since about the first of June, and I agree. This is the best kept secret out there. As I said before, it makes my LW3000 seem really dim. Has enough throw to light up the woods on a dark night. Also uses AAs, and I have had the same set of Energizer rechargeables in mine for about a month - using it for walking the dog, etc. Definitely a bargain.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone comment on how the SL 3AA Luxeon is compared to the CMG Reactor 3? Quality and output, as always beam shots would be a bonus. --Thanks