Streamlight nano vs Coast nano

cheeky

Newly Enlightened
Hello, just had a question on a couple purchases. I picked up a Streamlight Nano light at Academy yesterday, and then got a Coast Nano Tac Torch at Office Depot right after. I'm wondering which one is going to be more worthwhile. I have read about the Streamlights coming apart in the pocket because it has to be left loose to turn off the light, and I have also read that Coasts have no water resistance and are deceptive with their advertising of lumens and runtime.

I'm not really into flashlights (knives are my thing), and am actually fairly satisfied with a couple of 'Xenolite' photon lookalikes I got at Harbor Freight. But, I would like to know which of these would be worth keeping - I already have 10 other cheapie flashlights I have no use for. The Streamlight is smaller, and maybe a little better made. But there is the fact that it twists to power up, and has to be left loose in the pocket. Plus it is a little harder to turn on/off one-handed. The Coast is bigger, but it has a tail button that does momentary and click on/off. The packaging says 8 lumens & 60 hours. I know the 60 is ridiculous, but does anyone know what kind of usable life a set of batteries will get me? The Streamlight says 10 lumens and up to 8 hours. Is that more accurate?

Here is a pic of the Coast, this model number isn't on their site. I don't know if it's because of a different lumens rating. **I didn't resize the pic, the actual image is quite large.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

KLowD9x

Banned
I have the Streamlight Nano. I have had it for over a year now and while it looks beat up, it still works and has never fallen apart. I have also never changed the batteries.

My biggest beef with the nano is the light. It is a horrible purple color.

Keep both on different key chains, you never know when you might need a light.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Streamlight Nano,nice light but to be honest would not trust it on a key chain or loose in my pocket,have heard of them working loose and dropping the batteries out.I wear mine on a chain or lanyard and never have an issue with it that way,it really is a very nice light.

For a key chain or loose in the pocket the Streamlight Keymate is really a fantastic light,like mine very much and it comes with a clip so you can pop it in a shirt pocket.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Coast Nano's aren't horribly purple. If you intend to put the light in your pocket, the Nano might not be the perfect choice either because it's forward clicky could activate in your pocket. But at least it won't come apart. I think Coast rates their runtimes based upon how long until the light level approaches that of a firefly, but I've had one of my Nano's by my bed for brief night time use for over a year now, and it still is more than adequate light output for night-adjusted eyes.

elumen8

Enlightened
I have several Streamlight Nanos and I give them as gifts. Very very useful as a keychain light. I've only had them come apart twice, but its my fault, I play with them all the time.

I also got the Coast Nano Tac Torch for fun. The tailcap switch broke after about three weeks.

JB

don.gwapo

Enlightened
I got the coast nano for sometime now and it never fails me since. I prefer clickies over twisty that's why I went to the coast over streamlight.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
With those two choices, the Streamlight version is going to better; overall.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
my wife has the coast light in your pic (hers is the eddie bauer re-brand version). The tailcap came unscrewed once in her purse, so just because its a click switch I dont think its completely immune to this. Other than that it has worked fine over the year shes owned it. IMHO the streamlight is a better made light though. Its machined better and has a more robust feel.