Anyone hate the new thrunite V2 UI/Design

king2penn

Enlightened
I think they should have placed a strobe mode via a secondary button ala Olight M20s or something

And they should have added support for 1x18650... Otherwise whats the extension tube for? Saving on shipping costs?

Tobbe79a

Newly Enlightened
I love the light but I also missing these features! 1x18650 should have bin great!

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
I don't think strobe should be implemented in a spot light so to me the UI is perfect.

There was a reason for the light no longer being able to run a single 18650 like the V1. I believe the driver puts out more amperage to led, because of the different driver, more input voltage is needed. Too bad it is too much draw for 2 cr123's on high.

Overall it is a great light. Just think of the single tube as a way to run the light on low with cr123's in a compact format.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I think they should have placed a strobe mode via a secondary button ala Olight M20s or something

And they should have added support for 1x18650... Otherwise whats the extension tube for? Saving on shipping costs?

I love the UI on the Version 2, I can use the switch for fast flashes of light without any risk of changing levels and I have no use for a fast strobe mode.

If I really want to run it in a short configuration I can alwaus load it with 2x16340 IMR cells, but the light uses way to much current for any real use in the short configuration. It is not even a good idea to CR123, the light is definitely designed for 2x18650 cells.

I would have lowed that the low was a bit lower, but that is a very minor quibble.

Tobbe79a

Newly Enlightened
The light is wonderful is all I can say! Really bright with excellent throw!
It could be even better with 3x18650 config in a magazine. Or what do you think?

Ilikelite

Newly Enlightened
I have the rrt-3 with the 3 18650 mag and it makes the light too bulky to me. In all reality I use my catapult v2 a lot more than the rrt-3. It fits my hand well and I'm glad they got rid of the useless strobe. I do wish they made it so 1 18650 would work in it though.

king2penn

Enlightened
I have tried loading my V1 with 3x18650, it works great but its generally not recommended. I got the extra battery tube from a damaged thrunite V1.

Also, i think taking out support for 1x18650 is a dumb thing to do. :thumbsdow

W.Y.N.I

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if there was a technical reason to cut out 1x18650 support, does seem a strange decision if not. As far as the UI goes though, a strobe is supposedly a 'tactical' feature, and this a search/spot light. So for someone who actually uses it in a work environment for that purpose, strobe would just get in the way of what you want it to do, I.e. light that field up over there, now.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once you look at voltage sag under the high current, and throw in some voltage loss in the circuit (especially at high amperage) you are best case getting limited regulated runtime. Worst case with some cells you aren't able to get the full 3A current unless the circuit boosts. I'm sure there would be a lot of unhappy people here over not pushing the spec'd current.

Of course they could use a boost or buck/boost circuit. Building the light around a buck boost would not only be less efficient, it generally comes at the cost of not supporting 2xLi-ion voltages. Throw in the fact that boosting takes you to or above the limit for some lower capacity 18650's sustained max current and a single 18650 just doesn't seem like a wise design choice for this light.

Last edited:

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
Once you look at voltage sag under the high current, and throw in some voltage loss in the circuit (especially at high amperage) you are best case getting limited regulated runtime. Worst case with some cells you aren't able to get the full 3A current unless the circuit boosts. I'm sure there would be a lot of unhappy people here over not pushing the spec'd current.

Of course they could use a boost or buck/boost circuit. Building the light around a buck boost would not only be less efficient, it generally comes at the cost of not supporting 2xLi-ion voltages. Throw in the fact that boosting takes you to or above the limit for some lower capacity 18650's sustained max current and a single 18650 just doesn't seem like a wise design choice for this light.

Thanks for this post. Makes perfect sense to me now :twothumbs

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't think strobe should be implemented in a spot light so to me the UI is perfect.

There was a reason for the light no longer being able to run a single 18650 like the V1. I believe the driver puts out more amperage to led, because of the different driver, more input voltage is needed. Too bad it is too much draw for 2 cr123's on high.

Overall it is a great light. Just think of the single tube as a way to run the light on low with cr123's in a compact format.

DO two IMR16340's work on high?

Xak

Enlightened
Aren't the new AW's with 2600mah and the 3 buttons on the bottom made for a high currant draw? Perhaps one of those would be OK?