Surefire E2DL/LX2 now using XP series LED's?

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
So I was just taking a peek at my 200 lumen version E2DL head and noticed the led didn't have the xre ring surrounding the dome. In fact, in relation to the dome the die fills up the space a lot like an xpg does.

If I remember correctly, SF used the xre led in these lights with tirs.

If in fact they switched to the xp series led, does it mean I have less throw more flood/output compared to the earlier version? Or does the collaminator take care of the wider angle of projected light from the led.

Take a look into your e2dl/lx2 and let me know what you see. Also if your model is the first or second version.

Maybe this explains the upgrade in the lumens rating?

Last edited:

MR.A

Newly Enlightened
it sounds interesting

but, Here XR-E

new version.

stallion2

Enlightened
it's still the XR-E. my LX2 clearly shows an XR-E but with the optic i can't see the ring around it.

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
My LX2 has an XR-E. I think the XR and XP series have a different footprint, so switching would require a new PCB layout - which doesn't seem like the type of thing Surefire would do, although I guess it's possible.

Could you post a picture?

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
Also, there's good close-ups of both these LEDs here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/270419

Since it's hard to see the LED very well through the optic, you could just look to see how much green PCB you can see around the LED. The XP-E shows green PCB all around the outside of the LED while with the XR-E very little green will be visible. You can also look at the bond wires coming off the die, or the solder points visible around the package.

As I said above, I'm betting it's still an XR-E. It's just hard to see the LED clearly through the TIR.

XR-E in my LX2:
img3130l.jpg

Last edited:

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
PeaceOfMind,

I feel kind of stupid now..that pic of yours is exactly what I see in my e2dl. But honestly I can't see the metal ring going around the led.

That silver around the led isn't the ring and around that I see green.

One thing to note is that the XP-E/G do not have a dark stripe next to the die. In the XRs, that separates the anode from the cathode. The XP-E appears surrounded by metal, with dots on three sides, and the lead wires going off in to "nowhere". With the XP-G, you can barely see anything but die under the dome.

The picture that PieceOfMind posted is definitely an XR-E. You couldn't see the metal ring around the dome because it's outside of the optic cutout, and there is a ring of green PCB outside the metal circle.