Fenix Tk30. 630 Lumens?

Acid87

Enlightened
Hi my name is Steven and im a flashaholic.......:devil:

This is my first real post so please be gentle.

Basically I have a few issues which I was wondering if one of you may be able to explain or help explain to me.

I recently purchased a Fenix Tk30 as this post suggests. At first I was impressed with the overall finish and quality of my first Fenix light (Just a side note im more a Nitecore kinda guy although surfires are definatly addictive) but on further testing of the light my opinion is somewhat altered.

I was recently up in the north of Scotland in Aviemore for a bit of hiking. With me I had among other lights my new Fenix Tk30 and a Surefire E1Backup my current EDC. Although I had not planned on a comparison of any kind I found the E1B gave nearly the same throw compared to that of the high mode on the Tk30 (With fresh lithium batteries).

This has left me questioning

a) why I paid so much (Being from the UK lights are quite a bit more expensive around the £110 mark).

b) was I stupid to choose this over the Tk40

c) why didnt I spend the same money on some the new IFE-1 from Nitecore.

So basically was I a victim of the Lumen fairy, Are me standards too high for an LED light or does someone have any user time with this light or insight into why this might be?

Hope this post hasn't put anybody to bored anybody.
Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.
Steven

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
You were comparing lux (the concentration of light) not lumens (the total output).

Also, these two lights have very different A) LED's, and B) focusing systems.

A) The TK30 has a 4 die MC-E /P7 LED (I forget which, at the moment). The 4 dies allow for much greater overall output, and much higher drive levels than an XR-E. However, these dies take up quite a bit of space, and focusing them takes a much larger reflector to achieve similar throw to an XR-E based light. They also have a lower "surface brightness" than an XR-E, which, along with the space between the 4 dies, can cause problems when trying to create a light that throws far.

B) The TK30 uses a large, textured reflector. This gives you your normal hotspot and spill beam pattern. The texturing, called "orange-peel" (guess why), cleans up the MC-E/P7's tendency to have a donut-hole dark spot in the middle of the hotspot with a smooth reflector. Texturing cleans up the beam, reducing the donut-hole effect, but it does reduce the effective throw of the light.

The E1B uses a Cree XR-E LED, combined with a very efficient TIR-optic ("Total Internal Reflection") which channels most of the light into a very narrow beam. This means that you have more lux than a similar set up using a reflector.

So, your TK30 is a great general purpose "illuminate a field all at the same time" light, whereas you E1B is great for spot-lighting what's happening on the other side of the field.

yowzer

Enlightened
Surefire tends to understate light output, and Fenix, like most companies, tends to overstate. Also, the E1B's optics lend themselves to throw, putting almost all of the light in the hotspot, so it can appear brighter over a standard reflector'ed light even if it's putting out less total lumens.

What battery configuration did you use with the TK30? It won't be as bright with just 2 CR123s compared to 2x18650...

JHCANDLEPOWER

Newly Enlightened
Hi Acid87,
I too just picked up a TK30 from another member over at CPFMarketplace. My first LED was a $20 Home Depot 2D Husky light. Very impessive light for the minimal cost. The jump to a ~$100 light was not blindingly significant if you look at it from a raw throw/spill perspective. I believe the rule about 4 times the lumen to see double the brightness is true. My Husky at ~120 OTF is not as far away from the TK30 ~550 OTF as I would have expected.

The TK30 beam is smoother and brighter from close to mid distance compare to the Husky 2D. It does beg the question how the Husky would look if I replaced the LED with a current design XPG or MCE or the anticipated XM. The slightly longer throw of the Husky gives too much of a tunnel vision. I find I have to pan the light around more with the Husky to see the details of the landscape when compared to the TK30. As with anything, small increments of improvement comes with substantial increase in cost.

As for comparing to TK40. I read other threads where they share the same head. The package of the TK30 shows a max of 300 meters. I think TK40 noted as 250 meters. The TK40 has a insignificant (but still exists) parasitic battery drain that the TK30 does not. Lastly, easier to pack the TK30 and two 18650 back up as opposed to a larger TK40 and 8 AA. Wouldn't want to fumble with 8 AA in the dark.

The only downside for my TK30, to be nit picky, is the fact the color is quite green on low (though less on high).

The only other light I was considering is TK45 for the broader flood as that is a distance I really use...mega throws are more specialized uses or for marketing pitch. Olight M31 or making the jump to an HID was my other consideration. I'll have to look into the IFE-1.

Enjoy your light, it's a solid design with great regulation for a long runtime.

Cheers!!!

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the TK40, different batteries but same light for the most part.
The TK30 and TK40 are more flood than throw. It'll own a space like a car headlight.
I have smaller lights that throw further but none that own an abandoned house or cave like they do

You bought a great light. Now you know were it's strong

chanjyj

Enlightened
The Fenix TK30 and E1B comparison is flawed.

Sure, the E1B and TK30 "reached" the same distance. But did the cover the same "width"? (layman terms).

You are comparing lux and not lumens (flashaholic terms)

Bascially you have to re-examine your needs. Do you want a "wall of light" or a "spotlight"? And since you say the TK30 and E1B reach the same distance, the TK30 is providing you with a wall of light+spotlight. :)

snala

Newly Enlightened
Sounds a bit obvious to ask but are you using the extension tube on the TK30 with 18650's? You need at least 6 volts to get the full max output.
Fair enough about throw in the middle of the beam but overall the TK30 should blow it away with light output from close to middle and still reasonably far. The reflector used in the Tk30/40 is one of the most praised on CPF it seems for the best compromise of spill and throw so depends on what you really are expecting.
If you wanted a bit more throw out of one of these big lumen outputters a Catapult V2, Tiablo A10 are more focused options.

Last edited:

BBL

Enlightened
I never experienced an E1B, but i can not image the E1B outhrew the TK30.

My TK30 has more throw than any of my single-die leds, including a fenix TK11 (225lm).

Is the TK30 possibly set to a lower output configuration?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I own and love the E1B (it's my favorite EDC) and the TK40 and I can't quite believe the TK30 would not produce as hot a spot. The Cree MC-E emitters have a bigger die and are harder to focus but the huge reflector compensates for it.

As I am aware, the TK30 is basically the 2x18650 cousin of the TK40 and the reflectors are very similar if not identical. The TK40 blows away the E1B, even measuring peak illumination in the hotspot. The sheer amounts of lumens makes up for that.

The only reason I can think of the TK30 falling short is that it might be in 100-lumen mode (where it and the E1B would have similar output power, perhaps a bit more on the E1B's part). As I said I love the E1B but there is simply no way it can take on the phenomenal MC-E producing more than 4X the lumens.

You'd definitely want the extension tube for the TK30, and to run two quality 18650 batteries (not the generic stuff).

Acid87

Enlightened
Thanks for everyones input into this thread the feedback is much appreciated.

The configuration I was using was 4 primarys CR123's with the extension tube of course.

I did have the light on the highest output of 630 lumens.

I don't mean to sound overly defensive but I never meant this to be a direct comparison in any way shape or form the reason I mentioned the E1B was purely the fact it was my current EDC (If I had been bothered to I may have also taken my nitecore D20 out of my bag).
I also said that the E1B nearly provided more throw not more or the same amount of throw. I think my point was somewhat lost in my ramblings. I had just simply expected the moon on a stick.

I had thought originally that the Tk30 would provide me with a much greater throw compared to smaller single or double cell lights. The Tk30 did provide me with a greater lit area overall of that there was no doubt I just imagined a larger throw altough I understand a trade of is to be had here.

I may just need time to play with my new toy and appreciate the things that it excels in. I am in no way putting down the Tk30 at all I still love the light.

Would I be better using a set of decent 18650's rather than CR123 primary cells and if so can anyone recommend any available in the UK.

Thanks again for the responses from everyone without the knowledge you guys pass on people like me would not learn so much.

Steven

chanjyj

Enlightened
Thanks for everyones input into this thread the feedback is much appreciated.

The configuration I was using was 4 primarys CR123's with the extension tube of course.

I did have the light on the highest output of 630 lumens.

I don't mean to sound overly defensive but I never meant this to be a direct comparison in any way shape or form the reason I mentioned the E1B was purely the fact it was my current EDC (If I had been bothered to I may have also taken my nitecore D20 out of my bag).
I also said that the E1B nearly provided more throw not more or the same amount of throw. I think my point was somewhat lost in my ramblings. I had just simply expected the moon on a stick.

I had thought originally that the Tk30 would provide me with a much greater throw compared to smaller single or double cell lights. The Tk30 did provide me with a greater lit area overall of that there was no doubt I just imagined a larger throw altough I understand a trade of is to be had here.

I may just need time to play with my new toy and appreciate the things that it excels in. I am in no way putting down the Tk30 at all I still love the light.

Would I be better using a set of decent 18650's rather than CR123 primary cells and if so can anyone recommend any available in the UK.

Thanks again for the responses from everyone without the knowledge you guys pass on people like me would not learn so much.

Steven

Steven, the MC-E and P7 lights are "flooders". The only MC-E light I know that has been designed for the purpose of throw is the Jetbeam M1X.

For throws you want to look at single-die LEDs.

I suggest you buy the batteries online - they might be cheaper. Go look for AW in the CPFMarketplace. His batteries are the cream of the crop.

snala

Newly Enlightened
Just in my experiance with the TK30 I can't believe you wouldn't see a fairly discernable differance in throw against the 110 lumen Surefire though?
We've got TK11 Q5's and R2's as well and the TK30 completely dominates them and I would have thought the 11's with 200+ lumens and smooth reflectors would beat an E1B easy just in overall output let alone throw too. That's why I was questioning the number of cells or power setting on yours. You can compare using selfbuilts 100 yard beamshot tests as well to see what these do compared to the smaller torches.
Just with 1x18650, so no extension, mine still destroys a TK11 on the 370 lumen high setting as well so....
One thing you do notice is these are quite bright at close range and it does make it harder to see what they are doing further out though. Easiest way is to point them in an open area then stand back a bit and you get a better idea of the total area and maximum range that is lit up.
Maybe yours is not putting out it's full potential too?

oh P.S yes use 18650's just for the runtime if not any other reason

Last edited:

petersmith6

Enlightened
think you need to check what mode your in and make shure you have the extender on and either 4 cr123 or 2 18650. iand cheak what mode its on. but compairing a tight spot with a broader TK 30 isnt realy fair. also a dimer tighter spot will look brighter. i use my TK 30 for night works on the rail way and find the broader beam far more usfull than a tight spot.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Acid87,

I have TK30 and it's an impressive flashlight. Though it's not a thrower the high output still makes the wide hotspot pretty bright so it will throw pretty good. The spill is wide and very bright, and these factors together will make TK30 totally outperforming for example a 225lumens light like TK10.
Therefore I also was wondering if you didn't by mistake compare your TK30 in the 175lumens mode. Try to shine it unto the ceiling (if you have a white ceiling) and see how bright the room will be; TK30 at 630lumens puts out nearly the same total brightness as a 60W home light bulb. At 175lumens it's less than a 25W.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

chanjyj

Enlightened
TK30 on extreme left. Compared to the other lights, while it may seem dimmer, note the WIDTH of the beam.

60.jpg

chanjyj

Enlightened
What exactly is each light - from left to right? I really like the second from the left...

Fenix TK30
Olight M30
Jetbeam RRT2
Fenix TA21
Fenix TK10

I do not recommend the Olight M30. The UI allows water ingress, despite the IPX8 rating (simply put, it's bullshit).

The M30 also appears to be brighter compared to the other lights. Its rather deceiving in this picture. It's the colour balance I believe. When I set WB for this photo, the Olight appears cooler than the other lights, thus looking brighter. Also, the beam is against a dark background (black) compared to the TK30 (orange leaves) accounting for further differences.

Look at the beams at the distance. You will start to notice the M30 dropping off in intensity while the TK30 still holds up. That said, the M30 is more of a flooder than the TK30 and its compact size on 18500s makes it rather appealing so don't let me stop you from getting one :grin2:

Last edited:

Acid87

Enlightened
TK30 on extreme left. Compared to the other lights, while it may seem dimmer, note the WIDTH of the beam.

60.jpg

Thanks for the visual aid chanjyj, I think possibly I was too close to the light to realise the overall area that was covered along with the distance.

Again I want to clarify this WAS NOT a comparison I was just asking did anyone own this light and have any opinions on it. My overall impressions of this light are very high. For my first larger light I have been impressed. Yes I understand the technologies of LEDs are different and that each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Yet I have little to no knowledge of each led and their specific strengths and weaknesses which is maybe where I expected the further throw from as opposed to the mix of both. Please dont be offended if you think im being rude about the comments as this is not the case. I appreciate all the feedback. :twothumbs

Last edited: