Hello from Iraq - Need help deciding. Olight vs. Surefire?

BaileyMoto

Newly Enlightened
First time poster, so...:wave:

Well, I have recently been bitten by the bug, so I am now looking for a decent light. I'll admit, I don't know much about lights other than what I have been researching lately. I usually just carry whatever is issued to me. The newer/cheaper Surefire 6xp Tactical lights are what actually turned me onto this and now I'm considering spending more and getting something with more options.

So, here's what I am looking for:

* Right around $100 or less

* EDC light, but must be tactical First. In regards to that, I need the brightest setting to be activated first, as well as the ability for momentary on. I could care less about all the fancy modes, strobes, and communicating with beings from outer space. All I need is a REALLY bright and a not so bright (for maps, patient assessment, general use, etc)

* 1 or 2 cr123 powered (I have about 200 of these silly little batteries on hand - You're jealous, I know :nana: )

* A clip would be nice, but it's not mandatory.

* Relatively pocketable. Generally, it will go either in the side cargo pocket or on my belt, but it'd be nice if I could carry it in a back pocket or the likes if needed.

* Possibly mount to an m4 or shotgun sometime int he future when I return to the states.

I know Surefire is generally the go-to light for tactical/ultra reliable, but surely some of these other brands are as nearly reliable?

So, here are some of the lights I have narrowed it down to, let me know what you think. If you have any other suggestions, then awesome.

- Olight m20s - Low, Medium, High, and Strobe (simple side button mode switch) - 320 lumens -

- Surefire E2DL - 200 lumens

- Streamlight PT2L - 180 Lumens

- Surefire 6P LED - 120 Lumens (Can the Cree R5 be dropped into this?)

- 4Sevens Quark - 230 Lumens

If it helps to say what I do, I am a flight medic with a private company out here in Iraq and I will be going to Afghanistan soon. Back in the states I work as a firefighter/medic. It needs to withstand the elements out here in the sandpit, as well as the somewhat extreme conditions of going in my turnout/bunker gear while crawling around in a structure fire, getting wet, muddy, etc.

Hmm, I think I've rambled on enough and you guys probably have an idea of about what I am looking for. I am leaning towards the Olight, simply cause its unbelievably bright, or at least they claim it is. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
Hello Baileymoto,

For mode ( brightness ) changing UI, which one do you prefer? one hand or two hand will be ok?

Have you checked on Flashlight Checklist thread? maybe you should check that thread first so we could help you the right flashlight for you.

:welcome:

BaileyMoto

Newly Enlightened
Hello Baileymoto,

For mode ( brightness ) changing UI, which one do you prefer? one hand or two hand will be ok?

Have you checked on Flashlight Checklist thread? maybe you should check that thread first so we could help you the right flashlight for you.

:welcome:

Nope, I have not...will do.

I think I would prefer a 1 handed approach, so long as it's a simple click through process of selecting a few different brightness settings, without having to worry about strobes, etc. If it's required to use a second hand to activate the fancy modes, then so be it. If at all possible, I'd prefer to simply not have all those modes. I subscribe to the theory of 'keep it simple, stupid' - Less doodads often times equates to more reliable with most gadgets...at least with my experiences outside flashlights.

Last edited:

BaileyMoto

Newly Enlightened
Here is my response to that list, thanks for the suggestion.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
Online - ship to APO address

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Less than $150, prefer less than $100

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:
____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
Doesn't matter - Just needs to be reliable/tough.

7) What battery type do you want to use?
CR123 - I have oodles of these on hand.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
Multiple modes are ok, so long as they stay out of the way.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
Alum or high strength poly.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.
A belt clip would be a decent addition

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
You will get other knods for the same thing so I'll just be the first to suggest a high CRI Clicky from HDS.

BaileyMoto

Newly Enlightened
I don't mean to get off topic, but what's the deal with these 300+ lumen small flashlights? Is this the real deal, as in practical application, or more of a gimmick? If so, do they provide substantial more throw? I know that 200 lumens is plenty in a close quarters tactical situation where one needs temporarily blind a target.

So, in regards to throw and spill, any idea what I'd be looking at in terms of the Surefire E2DL (200 lumens) vs. the Olight m20 (320 lumens)?

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
If throw is important, I would stay away from lights that use the Cree XP-G R5 emitter (very popular now) unless the light has a large reflector like the 4sevens Maelstrom. The Olight M20, for example, now uses the XP-G, but there is an older version that uses the XR-E R2 and will have more throw.

The Surefire E2DL is a great light, but be aware that people have reported it switching modes when firearm mounted. If it will stay a handheld light, then there should be no problem.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like ElectronGuru said, the high CRI Clicky pretty much fits all that you're looking for except for the 150+ yards of throw. Also, the mountable thing on a gun, I'm not sure about.

Be sure to look at the Tactical version over the Executive version - especially as a first time HDS owner. With the Tactical version, you get the highest setting right away and then from there, you can press and hold for strobe, or double click for a much lower setting.

You can get the same settings with the Executive version, but you have to program it to be that way. Not difficult once you get the hang of it, but why bother from the get go if you can get something the way you want it anyway?! :)

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
I don't mean to get off topic, but what's the deal with these 300+ lumen small flashlights? Is this the real deal, as in practical application, or more of a gimmick? If so, do they provide substantial more throw?

More lumen rating does not means more throw capable, the are some factors affect the throw capability on flashlight. First is LED type, second in reflector design / optics design.

As for the light i would suggest 4sevens G5 Maelstrom. It is also have One-inch weapon mountable body. Plus it offer multi fuel option 2XCR123 or Li-Ion 18650 ( for extended runtime ). I think G5 will be covered most of your requirement.

If you don't really have any idea about this light, check selfbuilt review for 4Sevens Maelstrom G5 *SHIPPING VERSION* Review (XP-G R5) - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +, for UI you could watch at youtube.

jellydonut

Enlightened
There are some lights that are as reliable as a Surefire. I would only rate Malkoff and HDS on the same level - Malkoff from my own experience, and HDS from the tests and sheer number of people abusing them that I've noticed.

If you only want two modes I would take a long, hard look at Surefire's two-stage momentary/twist tail switch. For me it is the best way to implement a two-mode light, hands down, no contest. The A2L, LX2, AZ2 and maybe some other lights in their present lineup has this type of tail switch.

BaileyMoto

Newly Enlightened
I really like the idea of the control ring, like featured on the Jetbeam lights. Any opinions about Jetbeam themselves or suggestions of other lights that use a ring in order to select brightness?

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't think Jetbeam are built as robust as Surefire, from the models I have examined. I would try to get a Surefire U2. Since you are in the military you will get a substantial discount by ordering from them directly. It will go a bit over your budget but I think you will find it well worth it.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would lean towards the E2DL, best quality and a lifetime warranty to back it up. If anything happens, they'll cover it.

A note about lumens...be careful when comparing. Not all manufacturers use the same standards, only those that use ANSI FL1 standards can be trusted for actual output. Most American ones adhere, such as SureFire and Streamlight, but the same can't be said for all imported lights.

chanjyj

Enlightened
I really like the idea of the control ring, like featured on the Jetbeam lights. Any opinions about Jetbeam themselves or suggestions of other lights that use a ring in order to select brightness?

I would not recommend Jetbeam.

My Jetbeam, while lovable, had failed me many times when I was in the military. I bit of water submergence and :poof:

Same goes for Olight. I do not have the latest Olights, but those which I have used have failed (water ingress on M30, lithium battery leak on SR90). That makes me really wary, YMMV.

If you intend to go the "ring" mode I might suggest the Fenix TA21. Alternatively, if you need a 'hard stop' at the end of the turn, the Fenix TA20. And since you have tons of CR123s the TA20's lack of 18650 support isn't going to bother you much so it's a non-issue. It might even be a better light.

If you decide not to go the Fenix route, I would suggest the HDS Tactical 170 (aka Ra Clicky 170T). A Surefire LX2 would also be another suggestion (E2DL, perhaps not. I've read about leaking tailcaps. The LX2, is waterproof to 1m).

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the answers you give on the questionnaire, I really think you need two different lights.

If you want something that throws a lot of light down range, and is weapon mountable, I will echo other's recommendations of the Maelstrom. Don't have one myself yet, but from the beamshots I've seen of it, it has an excellent beam with a lot of throw but still has a good usable spill.

For working as a medic, you're going to need your hands free and something that will give you better color rendition is also going to be helpful, so a Zebralight H31w is what I would recommend.

A high CRI Ra would be an excellent choice, but it's really going to still be a compromise; sort of like using just a Leatherman when a screwdriver and a crescent wrench, respectively, would be better tools for each job. The Maelstrom will give you the throw and weapon mountability you want, the H31w will give you the utility you need for your close-up work.

jcalvert

Enlightened
BaileyMoto,

Based on your list, I can recommend the Olight M20S w/ XPG-R5 without hesitation as it strikes a nice balance of flood and throw with plenty of total output and with the side switch, you can operate it one-handedly. I've set the belt clip in such a way so that I'm able to grab the light blindly and still be able to find the side switch with my thumb every time. As others have agreed, I have absolutely no issue with PWM flicker.

Also, since a selector ring light is a consideration as mentioned by chanjyj, my first high-end tactical light was the Fenix TA21 and it's still my favorite. A couple of complaints by others about the TA21 have been that the selector ring is too difficult to turn one-handedly and that there are too many modes. Personally, I have no difficulty turning the ring one-handedly w/o worry that the modes will change accidentally and with 12 modes, whatever you don't need you don't use, k.i.s.s. as you like. Also, it's so solidly built, I think it could literally be run over by a tank and survive and it's a very good thrower.

Best wishes to you for a successful mission and safe return.

All the best,
John

Last edited:

JDest

Newly Enlightened
I would say for anyone in the medical profession, especially one in a combat zone (thanks for helping out over there btw, I was part of OEF IX last year:thumbsup:) should have a High CRI HDS Clicky as their go to light. Its durability is top notch, which is major, but as much as I don't really care about CRI for my normal use lights, I would say it is almost critical to have for a medic. I have no experience in the medical field, but I would certainly think the ability to properly distinguish colors when dealing with patients would be of the utmost importance. I'm not questioning your skills by any means sir, I just want you to be as well equipped as possible with what I think is the best tool for the job.

entoptics

Enlightened
The EagleTac P20C2 MKII is another option that is considerably cheaper than those suggested so far. By almost all reports it's very tough, and it's probably the brightest thing mentioned in this thread so far (maybe the M20 and TA20-21 are roughly the same).

It has disco modes, but it can be programmed to hide them. The UI is very simple and useful.

Tight head = max bright (300 lm)
Loose head = med (60 lm)
A quick tight-loose-tight or loose-tight-loose motion accesses low mode (5 lm).
Has momentary on and forward clicky.

I've had a fair bit of experience with it's 2xAA sibling, and it's a superb light with an awesome beam (smooth artifact free shape and a great combo of throw and flood).

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
for your needs, stick with Surefire or HDS systems.
I have an E2DL and it seems to fit very well. has a high/low. always comes on high first. forward clicky has a nice feel, and is responsive. not that pocket friendly though, but its possible without many problems. The A2 or A2L might be even better for your high/low needs.

I also have a HDS high CRI clicky and its one of my favorites. highly recommended.

get both:thumbsup: