Beam from Dorcy 4 led 2 AA?

pilot4x4

Enlightened
I've got one of the new Dorcy 2AA 4 LED lights and I really like it except for one thing. The beam is ringy because of the lens. Does anyone else have this problem with their light or is it just mine? The light shines through slightly between the plastic wall on the outside of the lens and the metal part of the head. Other than that it's a nice light, and I've run it for about 7 hours now on a set of batteries and it's still almost as bright as it was with fresh batteries. John

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've got one of these flashlights, and I'm not seeing what you're seeing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Any distance beyond a few inches, and all I really see is the main beam, which is circular, white, and with a slightly bluish center - characteristic of Nichia white LEDs.

pilot4x4

Enlightened
Maybe I got a bad light. I don't notice it up close. When I notice the problem is when I'm using it outside at any distance over say 8 - 10' it becomes very noticeable. I've got a large hot spot and then a large dark area and lastly a small outer light rin. What's causing it is light coming through the thicker part of the lens (the part between the head of the light and the recessed flat area of the lens) and some light that appears to be coming from between that area and the head itself. With the light on if I put my thumb across the lens where it's completely blocking the LEDs I can see the light still coming through that thicker part and from between it and the head. If you do that with your light can you see the light spilling through those areas? John

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I tried your suggestion, and did not see any significant amound of light coming from any place other than the LEDs.
The only "ring" I get (and it's pretty faint) comes directly from the LEDs themselves; not from any reflection or refraction elsewhere in the flashlight head.

pilot4x4

Enlightened
I think I'll take this one back and see if I can trade it for another one. I tried holding it a few inches from a wall and the rings that it makes then (light area, dark area, light area) are basically what's repeated out at a greater distance with mine. Did you ever come across your Opalec to compare brightness and throw between the two? John

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
pilot4x4 said:
... Did you ever come across your Opalec to compare brightness and throw between the two? John

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know where my Opalec is right at the moment... let me go check a couple of places for it...BRB...nope, still didn't find it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
But it'll turn up, eventually - if the cleaners didn't get it last fall or winter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pilot4x4

Enlightened
Orchard Supply in Rancho Cucamonga Calif, they had the 4 LED 2AA and the 1 LED 1AAA. The 4 LED light was about $16.00.
John

pilot4x4

Enlightened
Last night I returned my Dorcy 2AA light and exchanged it for another one. This new one doesn't have the rings in the beam like the first one and when I hold my thumb across the LEDs I see little or no light coming through the side area between where the thick part of the lens is and the body of the head. With the other light I could see quite a bit of light there. I wanted a black bodied light and they had half a dozen in stock. I looked at all of them and in each one the lens looked light it was set in slightly different, also most had scratches in different parts of the reflector / cover piece that covers the LEDs. It looks like there are probably some quality control issues concering the final assembly / fitting of the pieces. This one has a nice beam though, although it's fairly tight compared to the beam of my ultras and some of my other LED lights. I don't have a way to measure the output but it appears to be a little brighter than two of my Ultra-Gs combined, so maybe some place in the 55 - 60 lux range?
John