In search of a twist only 18650 light

Djonah Inc.

Newly Enlightened
The tittle says it all.
I'm searching for a 18650 powered light that is operated by twisting the head.
Head dimensions as small as possible.
Total size of the light as small as possible.
I can't seam to find any 18650 lights. I found CR123 based twisties (fenix pd10,...)

Thanks for all the info!

BTW: I'm so anxious about my tk35 that will be delivered soon!!

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's an interesting request, the only 18650 light that's even remotely a twistie that I can think of would be a bored 6p with stock tailcap.
I think the reason why there aren't any (that I know of) 18650 twisties is that the mechanism is designed to save in length, So it's Handy in small light construction. Once you get to the 18650 size battery type your over the 4 inch length anyway so why try and save a 1/4 inch at that point.
I'm sure there are modders that can make you a twistie tailcap for a light you like.
Good luck in your search

Djonah Inc.

Newly Enlightened
That's an interesting request, the only 18650 light that's even remotely a twistie that I can think of would be a bored 6p with stock tailcap.
I think the reason why there aren't any (that I know of) 18650 twisties is that the mechanism is designed to save in length, So it's Handy in small light construction. Once you get to the 18650 size battery type your over the 4 inch length anyway so why try and save a 1/4 inch at that point.
I'm sure there are modders that can make you a twistie tailcap for a light you like.
Good luck in your search
Look at it this way: no clicky = no problem with water --> diveproof! (like a fenix ld10 that is capable of depths of >60 meters)
so a 18650 twisty would give a lot of lumens in an smallish package so that would make it perfect for a backup.
As a primary I'll stick with my magmodded canlight ;)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I could build one out of parts. It would be very short and even head actuated but twistys add moving joints. Sliding a joint under water can break the seal.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
The tittle says it all.
I'm searching for a 18650 powered light that is operated by twisting the head.
Head dimensions as small as possible.
Total size of the light as small as possible.
I can't seam to find any 18650 lights. I found CR123 based twisties (fenix pd10,...)

Thanks for all the info!

BTW: I'm so anxious about my tk35 that will be delivered soon!!

Here's a thought! An early body E2E. S/F My serial # A210334 takes an AW17670 and very good runtime using a Malkoff M61L in a VME Head which is purpose built 'E' series compatable: One of several tailcaps can be used and you may want to match your body color with the Z57 HA that comes with the HA body. It seems, to me, that the older Twisty is a more reliable option (and a black HA will/should be a good match for the VME. head.

With your Twisty up tight you activate the light - Then switch on /off using the front section of the VME. head as Malkoff intended for this Twisty.

With your 'light clicked on (Z57, Z68 etc.) once again use the front section of the VME. This set-up also allows for several options - With the VME. uptight, your choice of tail-switch can be either Clicked on & off or twisted on & off (the stealthy option) at the tail.

It may be noteworthy that the earlier twisty, while being ultra reliable, does not offer a lock-out function; of course, a small turn of the VME head clockwise achieves this. My VME head, (I have three) came lubed & quite smooth. After about a week or so and a thorough clean, the action is as smooth as silk and one handed activation is a 'cinch'. Important, use the front section of the VME. for activation and not the whole head: Keep the rear section locked down rather firmly!

Cheers and Good Luck!:twothumbs

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not thrust a non divelight as a backup under water. It's supposed to be life saving if your primary light goes down. Being underwater in pitch darkness is no joke. Barbolight comes to mind if you want a dive rated 18650 twisty. The U04 and U04 zoom both run with a 18650. They are not cheap, but life is precious.

purelite

Enlightened
There was a run of an affordable cutom light awhile back. I cant remember exactly who did them but it was more of a DIY kit you could buy and build it to your own liking. Something like the Sargeant light ? It was short and could take any type of LED

Djonah Inc.

Newly Enlightened
I would not thrust a non divelight as a backup under water. It's supposed to be life saving if your primary light goes down. Being underwater in pitch darkness is no joke. Barbolight comes to mind if you want a dive rated 18650 twisty. The U04 and U04 zoom both run with a 18650. They are not cheap, but life is precious.

I know, I know, but....
http://www.tauchfunzel.de/fenix.htm

and this: (check latest post)
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...cd=1&hl=nl&ct=clnk&gl=be&source=www.google.be

Djonah Inc.

Newly Enlightened
I could build one out of parts. It would be very short and even head actuated but twistys add moving joints. Sliding a joint under water can break the seal.

In fact it doesn't need to be that short...
Head actuated is fine too. I just thought that since a magmod is "only" 200€ for 900-ish lm, why pay 100€ for only 200-ish lm

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh for a dive light, no wonder I don't know jack about it, I swim badly but sink great :thumbsup:

Novae lights sold by TacticalHID in the cpf marketplace Dealers Corner sells a dive light, I think it's 900ish lumens but I think it's a clicky.
Sorry I'm not more help. If I were you I'd take electronguru up on his offer to make you one, his build quality is excellent

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just because someone managed to take a tiny fenix to 65 m depth without flooding it, don't make it a safe backup light.
I can probably drive my car for 200 km/h on snow and survive. That don't make my car (or the ride) any safer :thinking:
If you can afford all the scubagear, you should be able to afford a quality light.

There is close to no air gaps inside surch a tiny light as the fenix mentioned. There will be little air to create a vacum. Scale it up to a 18650 and you will have more air inside it = more vacum. Combine this with a single o-ring, and it might be a recipe for disaster when you start twisting. You might NEED your backup to work someday.

Lets say you buy a cheap 18650 twisty and find out that the head or tube is slightly oval at arrival. It would be money down the drain. It would be even worse to find out if you REALLY need your light 60 meters deep.

Djonah Inc.

Newly Enlightened
Oh for a dive light, no wonder I don't know jack about it, I swim badly but sink great :thumbsup:

haha :D here we call people who sink rather well: people preforming brickstroke (or "baksteenslag" in dutch)

jorn said:
There is close to no air gaps inside surch a tiny light as the fenix mentioned. There will be little air to create a vacum. Scale it up to a 18650 and you will have more air inside it = more vacum. Combine this with a single o-ring, and it might be a recipe for disaster when you start twisting. You might NEED your backup to work someday.

You're probably right about pretty much everything, but hey, I'm willing to give it a try ;) If it works, that would be a real nice solution for the student that don't have the big $ to spend, not for buying their own gear, nor for buying multi $ lights... that is untill they do have the $ to spend.

BTW I'm not doing any dives at those depths...not untill now that is...future will tell

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand that you want to go the cheap route for a 18650 dive light. But it might be dangerous. I dont know how a flooded 18650 will react to salt water. It might be a "hand granate" waitng to go poof when shorted. Who knows:shrug: Just stay on the safe side when you go diving with your new light, if you find one that suits you :twothumbs

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
UK make this model Super Q, UK has been in the dive light business for a long time an make some decent lights

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS Twisty is superb! It's one of my all time favorites and my current belt EDC. For less $$$ check out the SGT Burkett

Djonah Inc.

Newly Enlightened
I understand that you want to go the cheap route for a 18650 dive light. But it might be dangerous. I dont know how a flooded 18650 will react to salt water. It might be a "hand granate" waitng to go poof when shorted. Who knows:shrug: Just stay on the safe side when you go diving with your new light, if you find one that suits you :twothumbs
It goes blubblub :D
It's like making magic smoke ;)