Any EDC AA lights out there that just have high, medium, low, and firefly/moonlight?

beamis

Newly Enlightened
I'm not really into disco or regularly getting myself trapped in life-threatening situations where I'm so physically incapacitated that I need a flashlight to signal SOS for me. I really would just like a light that has a high, medium, low, and a firefly/moonlight mode. Preferably the light would remember the last mode.

Does anyone make such a beast? Is there a way to modify a Quark AA to get rid of the disco lights?

Thanks.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it shouldn't use PWM.

Last edited:

tbenedict

Enlightened
Not sure how many modes you need readily at hand. If 2, the Quark Tactical line might work. I think most programmable ones use PMW.

Personally, I am looking at the V10A/V20A series. They use PMW, but not at a noticeable level. I like the idea of a forward clicky with tailstanding and the ability to set the level (roughly) before turning it on.

beamis

Newly Enlightened
Not sure how many modes you need readily at hand. If 2, the Quark Tactical line might work. I think most programmable ones use PMW.

Personally, I am looking at the V10A/V20A series. They use PMW, but not at a noticeable level. I like the idea of a forward clicky with tailstanding and the ability to set the level (roughly) before turning it on.

I'm very sensitive to PWM, so I'm pretty loathe to buy a light I know has PWM and run the risk of having to return it.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to find a multimode light that does not have PWM in it. I am not sure if I am right but my understanding is that it won't be easy (read cheap and affordable) designing a multimode light without incorporating PWM. More R&D would be needed to run a light based solely on constant current. PWM is a compromise in allowing a light to go from high power all the way down to moon mode or firefly mode.

One light I know that uses solely constant current would be the 4Sevens Preon ReVO. Very nice pocket light but it runs AAA and is not extremely bright. Bright enough for most task up to about 5 or maybe 10 yards but don't expect it to be a thrower because it is not. It does not have moon mode but the low is low enough not to be a screaming distraction to others who may be sleeping.

The other light, or rather brand of lights, would be the HDS systems line of clickies and rotaries. No PWM, totally over-engineered. The main drawback would be the price, followed by battery type. If it may interest you, get yourself a couple of RCR 123 batteries and charger, and you would be running guilt-free lumens. I highly recommend AW brand rechargeables. They are extremely stable and some of mine has been in use for more than two years and they are still running strong just like day one.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark regulars, tacticals, and most big fenixes use current control.

That is not correct. Quarks all has PWM on certain levels, in most cases low and medium. My turbo warm white has PWM on low, medium and high. I see them at work by shining onto a spinning fan.

wingspar

Newly Enlightened
I believe the Fenix TK15 and TK21 will remember the last mode used, and to get to the strobe feature, you have to hold down a button for more than two seconds, so you don't have to scroll thru the strobe mode. To me, the strobe feature is a toy, but I can see where it could be useful, so nice to have.

I have absolutely no idea what PWM, or PMW (spelled both ways in this thread) is. Can someone clue me in on that?

beamis

Newly Enlightened
I have absolutely no idea what PWM, or PMW (spelled both ways in this thread) is. Can someone clue me in on that?

Instead of turning the power down to get lower output, some lights flash the LED very rapidly to simulate lower output. For example, to get 25% brightness the LED flashes on for 1ms and off for 3 ms. If the frequency is very high it's not perceptible under normal conditions, but if it's not high enough it's very annoying to some people. If you've ever noticed that the LED tail lights on Cadillac are flashing constantly and it bothers you, you're sensitive to PWM.

Warp

Enlightened
I believe the Fenix TK15 and TK21 will remember the last mode used, and to get to the strobe feature, you have to hold down a button for more than two seconds, so you don't have to scroll thru the strobe mode. To me, the strobe feature is a toy, but I can see where it could be useful, so nice to have.

PWM = Pulse Width Modulation. Instead of reducing the drive current to dim the output the light actually strobes very fast, in essence. So fast that, in theory, we cannot see it except under certain (rare) circumstances. Most of the time most people do not notice it during use.

wingspar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks beamis and Warp for the explanation. I don't think I've noticed that, but if I did, it would drive me nuts, and the light would earn a permanent place in a drawer.

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
Quark and PWM seems to be a controversial topic. 4sevens says no, others say yes, especially with the higher voltage heads..? Here are a couple links. I only skimmed them... maybe they contain an actual answer :) I don't have one right now to check. If it is only a problem with 6volt heads, then the AA would be safe.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?258811-Question-on-Quark-Tactical-and-PWM
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...arely-visible)-when-turned-on-to-lowlow-level

The Xeno E03 is a 3-mode 1-AA light with no PWM, but it has no moonlight. 3 well spaced modes.

-John

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight SC51 I think would be close to what you are looking for.

You sure there's no PWM on a Zebralight? C'mon guys, wake up! The OP specifically mentioned that he is sensitive to PWM and does not want a light with PWM. Please recommend responsibly.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Quark AA (Q3-5A emitter) that I've put an O-ring in between the bezel and the battery tube so that I can screw the bezel down tight and still have moon-L-M-H-SOS-Beacon modes. I hate having loose bezel and it's not like Max and High are visually different when I'm running on eneloops.

If I could get rid of SOS and Beacon, I'd be even happier with it, but since it doesn't have mode memory, I'm not ever forced to see the remaining blinky modes.

I'm not sure if newer Quarks started using PWM, but my Quark doesn't appear to use it (I'm pretty good at detecting it).

I'm sympathetic to your search for the perfect AA EDC light, but I finally gave up and got myself a high CRI HDS Clicky. I still refuse to use CR123 cells, but for EDC, RCR123 is acceptable if it's the only way to get the light I want.

--flatline

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's my understanding that he PWM used by the SC50 and SC50+ is at a much higher frequency than that of the SC51.

Search for selfbuilt's review for the details.

--flatline

aivn

Newly Enlightened
Nobody mentions iTP A2: just Lo>Med>Hi and super compact too :whistle:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Please recommend responsibly.

Yeah, it's always helpful to the OP if we try to stay within the stated parameters. With that stated, we don't really know what the OP's level of experience is because he never mentioned any of the PWM lights he owned before, that bothered him. He could have been experiencing the rather slow PWM on some of the earlier AA lights and just assumed that they're all that way.

Beamis, there is a reasonable percentage here that are just as sensitive to PWM as you are but these multi-mode AA's remain one of the most popular categories of LED lights on the forum despite that fact. Many of these models include the fastest PWM rates which are virtually undetectable except by oscilloscope. If you can tell us which PWM lights have bothered you in the past we'll be able to recommend a light with 4x or even 8x the frequency. As others have stated, in the AA multi-mode class, almost all use PWM.

Warp

Enlightened
Nobody mentions iTP A2: just Lo>Med>Hi and super compact too :whistle:

Super compact? It is 2.97" long and 0.69" diameter. That is pretty small. That is even smaller, and shorter, than the ZL SC51. hmmm

I forgot how nice and small that thing is.