Surefire UB3T/M3LT vs M6LT

schurtjl

Newly Enlightened
The UB3T and M3LT are now rated at 800 lumens with a stated run time of 1.75 hours. The specs listed for the M6LT is also 800 lumens, but with a stated run time of 1.33 hours (1 hour and 20 minutes). How is it that a 3 primary cell light has a longer run time than a 6 primary cell light, at the same lumen output? Are they utilizing a different led in the M6LT than the XM-L that's in the UB3T/M3LT?

Z-Tab

Enlightened
From when they announced the UB3T to when they released it, they doubled the rated lumens from 400 to 800. The specs for the M6LT are likely based on whatever they were planning to build it with six months or a year ago, which has little bearing on whatever they actually end up producing.

The answer to your question is that the M6LT would have the same lumen output with lower run time, despite using twice as many batteries, if it was using a less efficient emitter or driver. If they release it with those specs, the obvious solution will be to not buy it.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Actual product specs = apples
Proposed product specs = nothing

You can't compare apples with nothing; all you have is apples!

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
i posted in another thread that the shorter runtime of the M6LT may be caused by better regulation. the UB3T run time of 1.75 hours is timed down to when actual output reaches 50 lumens, or around 8% output.

yliu

Enlightened
I expected over 1000 lumens from the M6LT, but I guess 800 is enough for most tasks...

The shorter runtime also bothers me, and I also wished it to take 3 18650 cells although it's pretty unlikely for surefire to do that.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tactical Efficiency Rechargeable Reinvention Discovery Squad (T.E.R.R.D.S.)

Lately i've been figuring once it happened, whatever the led m6 turned out to be it would be more similar to their invictus type lineup- where everything s.f. seems to be headed lately- all black, & with innovative features (not gimmicks) like tactical strobes, tactical selector rings, & tactical battery level indicators. So far though, it's my understanding the m6lt will be in natural type-iii, only single mode, & not too updated a design- they allowed the m6 to remain itself in its led iteration! :rock:
293u9p0.jpg
2an4ox.png
:drool:

Last edited:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Tactical Efficiency Rechargeable Reinvention Discovery Squad (T.E.R.R.D.S.)

i have allways found the looks of the M6 very appealing. and there is something to be admired about an unashamed single mode all out flashlight. then again my pride and joy is my polarion X-1. pending some sort of unforseen financial problem im sure i will have one of these when it comes out.

after that, thats it; im done with the flashlight obsession.

quad088

Newly Enlightened
I wonder why Surefire M3LT ( 800 lumens ) do not take 18650 but 3 x CR 123. Can anyone here explain please - thanks.

The reasons of my asking is tomorrow I will go over to our local dealer to see the new M3LT ( 800 Lumens ) but was told it will not work on 18650.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
A: 18650's are too long, you would need 18500's.

B: 18500's have too large a diameter, you need 17500's.

C: 17500's are not a guaranteed fit, CR123's are 16mm in diameter

quad088

Newly Enlightened
A: 18650's are too long, you would need 18500's.

B: 18500's have too large a diameter, you need 17500's.

C: 17500's are not a guaranteed fit, CR123's are 16mm in diameter

Many thanks mate, Look like when I collect my long waiting M3lT tomorrow I have to buy a 2 boxes of Surefire 123 x 10pcs.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem. Best bet is to get a couple of AW 17500's. I have used my AW 17500's in both my M3LT and UB3T, so they should fit.

Patriot

Flashaholic
It would be great if the head were available separately at some point. Some of us have spare M6 bodies, which appear to be the same as the M6LT body.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad to see they are keeping the names "Dominator" and "Commander" with their new rechargeables. Pays homage to the classic 10X, 8AX/NX and 9AN. It good not to forget about your roots, and thankfully surefire realised this when naming the new lights.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i just got around to preordering the M6LT. i was hoping some more info would be out about the release of the 4seven's S18 before having to decide, but last night at work i put a new cell into my quark 123. as i watched it flicker and act randomly while trying to use the UI i decided that maybe surefire is the way to go anyways.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i just got around to preordering the M6LT. i was hoping some more info would be out about the release of the 4seven's S18 before having to decide, but last night at work i put a new cell into my quark 123. as i watched it flicker and act randomly while trying to use the UI i decided that maybe surefire is the way to go anyways.

Flickering could be caused by dirty contact points hindering the proper flow of current. Try cleaning the contact points and thread.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
surefire ub3t vs m3lt vs m6lt

m6lt is actually shorter than the m3lt, despite having a battery carrier in there. Only 2 cells long. I've always liked that proportion. Would anuone rather have a m3lt than an m6lt, for the low mode?

Last edited:

Deanster

Enlightened
I have an M6 that I'd love to be able to upgrade to the LT version... anyone heard when/whether a head-only option might be available?