Best Current AAA Lights?

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been so active recently, and am out of the loop. I would appreciate suggestions as to a few of the best AAA lights currently available, and maybe a sentence or two as to their pros & cons. Price matters to me, so bang-for-the buck is a plus.

Thanks very much from a lapsed brother.

Andrew

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a lot of recent good threads floating around. I like simple 1 mode twisty for AAA lights.
Fenix E01 has a crappy tint but its bomb proof and has a fantastic runtime. Fenix E05 is much newer, has a much better tint and a great floody beam, but its runtime is shorter and it might not be as durable. I have both on my keys.

brunt_sp

Enlightened
For years I was using the old Fenix L0D-CE. When I wanted something new I considered its replacement which is the LD01, but many members recommended the Preon Revo. I bought the Revo from 4Sevens and found it to be superb.

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
I would have to recommend the Peak LED Matterhorn. It is available as a single LED or 3 LED, in type III HA alum, brass, or stainless, can choose b/t 2 output levels and several LED colors. Made in USA, and quality that is much higher than what they are priced at. They are nothing new, and not as bright as many of the current new lights, but imho nothing in their price range can touch them as far as quality and value goes.

Check them out- http://www.peakledsolutions.net/Products/Matterhorn.html

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's awsome HKJ. AAA is my favorite EDC size. My current favorite is the stainless steel Revo.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the best bang-for-your-buck AAA light available right now is the ITP A3 Upgraded, or it's newer version, the Olight i3.

3 modes, low - med - high, 96 lumen max

On the A3, the clip is movable, on the i3 the clip is stationary. The i3 can tailstand, but will hang at a funny angle on your keychain. The A3 cannot tailstand, but will hang straight off a keychain.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I would have to recommend the Peak LED Matterhorn. It is available as a single LED or 3 LED, in type III HA alum, brass, or stainless, can choose b/t 2 output levels and several LED colors. Made in USA, and quality that is much higher than what they are priced at. They are nothing new, and not as bright as many of the current new lights, but imho nothing in their price range can touch them as far as quality and value goes.

Check them out- http://www.peakledsolutions.net/Products/Matterhorn.html

I believe that Matterhorn's have been out of production at Peak for some time, but the Eiger is much more powerful. Peak is a great choice, and now available in new variable-output QTC flavor :D

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I'm still using an ITP-A3

PROS
-My most reliable EDC light over a 3 year span on my key ring
-No disco modes to fumble with (older models like mine were M/L/H with low frequency PWM, now they are L/M/H, and they fixed the PWM flicker too)
-Twist switch, no clicky to fail
-Small
-220Lumens OTF with a 10440 (80 on an eneloop)
-$20

CONS
-None, as a key ring EDC this light nails all my preferences.

Onuris

Newly Enlightened
I believe that Matterhorn's have been out of production at Peak for some time, but the Eiger is much more powerful. Peak is a great choice, and now available in new variable-output QTC flavor :D

Looks like you're right on that. I just ordered one last year, great little lights, shame they are not making them right now. The Eiger is a great little light. RMSK has the Volcan AAA, which is made for them by Peak, and they sell the Eiger as well.

http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/Peak.html

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that. I am a long time Peak fan, but haven't kept up with recent advances. How exactly does their new "adjustable power output" work?

Andrew

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks for that. I am a long time Peak fan, but haven't kept up with recent advances. How exactly does their new "adjustable power output" work?

The QTC is a pressure sensitive device, i.e. low pressure = high resistance = low brightness, high pressure = low resistance = high brightness.
It is a very simple design, because you just need a QTC pill in series with the battery, when you screw the light together you will increase the pressure on the pill and this will increase the brightness. Some people says that the QTC pill has a very limited lifetime, I have not seen this on my QTC light (Not a Peak light), but I do not use full brightness much.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am I'm the market for a QTC Peak because I like the idea of variable output and neutral tint but I have also not had any problems with my Fenix LD-01.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thank you, gentlemen, for all the helpful replies. HKJ, thank you especially for all your terrific review
Hi Andrew, been awhile - hope all is well.

HKJ's reviews are definitely the source of AAA info. The 4sevens ReVo and Klarus Mi X6 are definititely worth considering, as is the updated ITP A3 (now with xp-g and non-visible PWM). I recently looked at those in my reviews.

Sent from Tapatalk

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Andrew, been awhile - hope all is well.

HKJ's reviews are definitely the source of AAA info. The 4sevens ReVo and Klarus Mi X6 are definititely worth considering, as is the updated ITP A3 (now with xp-g and non-visible PWM). I recently looked at those in my reviews.

Sent from Tapatalk

Hi, Eric.

Always good to talk to you, and I have never quit reading your wonderful reviews. My other hobby is knives (lots of flashlight/knife crossover, it seems), and the sharp side has been monopolizing my attention, and pocketbook, lately.

Maybe I'm not quite as out of it as I thought, as I do have a few of the AAA lights mentioned---Preon Revo, Fenix EO5, and Maratac---and they are all quite good. The Revo is my favorite, my only complaint being that I wish it had a broader base for tailstanding.

I find that I'm now using AAAs more than any other light, though, and was just wondering if I'd missed the Next Big (or should I say Little) Thing.

Cheers,

Andrew

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go the Peak Eiger route. With the QTC it's a serious game changer, variable output and Peaks bulletproof design. You can also choose body styles and of course which metal.
Currently, my keychain light is an Eiger SS with a 10280 lug body and a QTC in the bottom.