Will Your AA Replace Your AAA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'm still waiting on my ARC-AA 1st, so I wanted to pose this question to those that recieved their 2nds already. I've always thought the AA-cell was more common than the AAA-cell. In my case, my pager uses an AA-cell and serves as always having a readily available spare. Do you feel that your ARC-AA will replace your ARC-AAA as an EDC because of this or other reasons?

I currently carry an ARC-AAA on my keychain and another in my pocket attached via lanyard to my Spyderco LadyBug. My plan is to replace that AAA with the AA and keep the AAA on my keyring.

jtice

Flashaholic
Well, I keep hearing the AA is brighter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
SO, if it is, and its not much bigger, I will probably EDC it on my keychain, in place of my AAA.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
I now have my AA 2nd, and I don't know what to do. My left pocket has a Cyan LS, my original CPF Edition AAA, and my green Traser on the spare keyring. My right pocket (normally) has my green Photon II on my keyring and my Inova X5 (white) {my CMG Infinity got bumped by this}. My original AAA is on a lanyard around my neck, my white LS with a clickie TSP is on my right hip in a spiffy custom pouch, my eternaLight EliteX4X is on my left hip, my right front belt loop has an ASP Elite (Aspen or Sapphire, depending on the day), my left front belt loop has an ASP (Sapphire or Navigator, depending on the day), and I don't know where to carry my AA or my 2003 CPF Edition.

I do know that the Inova X5 is getting bumped off the EDC list in favor of the Arc AA. I know it's not comparable in light output, but I have the two LSes for blinding folks, and the X5 is just too darn big, given my other options.

What I don't know is if I'm going to carry both my CPF Editions or not, and where I'll carry either or both, depending on that decision. If I decide not to carry one, then the question becomes, "what do I do with it now?"

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Considering the variations in the AAs already (color, end-of-barrel style, etc.), don't take my experience as the only state of affairs. Peter has been known to vary the depth and angle of the knurling from time to time, you know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[edit] Btw, the knurling on the head is noticeably more aggressive than the knurling on the body. This makes it relatively easy to turn it on/off with one hand (even my left hand). [end edit]

E

EchoSierraTwo

tin, I have the AA and I must admit that it is a clunker and a half for a keyring edc. The AAA has still got to be the perfect fit. However, I submit to you that it would not b out of place for a guy than it would be for a woman. It has replaced my solitare as my keyring edc. but I can get away with stuff like that. I will have my wife take a snap shpt of it on the ring tomorrow. Twas a long and tiring day in the village of queens today. Went there to pick up some stuff for the family at sears and came back with a puppy (dachshund). Very expensive trip today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Geheim

Newly Enlightened
I do not carry a AAA. I do use AAA flashlights at all. Too small. I do EDC a Ultra, and sometimes a LS depending on what I'm wearing. I figure the ARC AA will replace my Ultra. Though I have become attached to the Ultras.

Chad

rodmeister

Enlightened
I hadn't planned on using my ARC AA Second as EDC because the AAA is so much smaller. But my new AA is about twice as bright - and since the beam is wider, it puts out about three times the total light. It takes three ARC AAA's to match the total light from my ARC AA.

I keep my ARC AA and ARC AAA on the nightstand, and the last two nights I've been grabbing the ARC AA for it's volume of light. Much more useful than the ARC AAA.

I usually EDC the ARC LS since I work swingshift at an airport, and carry a AAA for backup. On weekends I usually carry my AAA solo - but I'm going to switch to the AA for a week or so. My guess is, I'm going to return to the AAA for its compactness - a lot of light for such a small package.

The ARC AA is a great light. Now we have three great ARC lights to chose from depending on the situation. The ARC AA would make a great car and bedside light.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a small guy so everything I carry I try to keep small, so I'll be keeping the AAA. My secondary/backup light is a Mag 2 AAA. I have a small radio also that is 2 AAA.

Hmm, how about a 2AAA Arc?

notos&w

Enlightened
hasnt yet and its even new. dont expect it will, i find it to be substantially larger w/o an equivalent gain in output (or that any additional light is usually needed). ill use it for sure, but wont EDC it.

CyberPMG

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Cyclops942 said:
I just ordered two more AA factory seconds. They're for gifts! Yeah, that's it! I'll tell my wife they're for gifts! (Think it'll work? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

Kris, I'll back you up on that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't think the AA will replace my AAA. It will compliment my AAA. The AA is larger than the AAA (obviously /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) which does make it a bit easier to fit in my hand, but it's also heavier than any of my AAA (LE, CFP, etc.) I like the AAA for the light weight and ability to use less effort to hold in strange positions to light up what I'm working on.

Both can do equally well.

LukeK

Enlightened
I've always loved the AAA for it's tiny size and weight. Needless to say though, as soon as I get my AA 1st, the AAA will be sold to a friend of mine.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
It almost seems like EDC needs to be split into two categories: EDAC (Always) and EDBC (Brighter).

Best example of an EDAC is the Arc AAA or Photon. You're never without it, it's on your keychain, it's your lifeline.

The EDBC is the light you usually or prefer to use because it's brighter and more useful, but due to its size, you'll sometimes leave it behind.

Maybe what I'm trying to say is that if you're consciously carrying an EDC, you're probably carrying at least two lights. I know that I do.

tysonb

Newly Enlightened
Windsor, Canada - across from warzone D (Detroit)
My AA went on my keychain, and my AAA moved to my wife's keychain. To my great surprise, as I was installing her hand me down, she stated that she was wanting one just like mine for some time. Now she has it. It should make the shock of the arrival of the Mclux that Randy Kang is building for me less stressful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif to both of us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tyson

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Nope! ARC AAA is still on my key Ring! The ARC AA and other 1xAA light are ok for pocket carry. EDC for me means, that if I'm up and moving I ALWAYS have my keys with me...if I have keys, I have an AAA. I carry other lights but always the one on the key ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.