My dream light, Surefire AA E2L

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I have owned a number of surefire lights over the years and between the CR123 battery cost and other things, (such as handing the light to a co worker or buddy wondering what will be come of it, lol...) I have stuck with cheaper (less expensive) flashlights over the last couple years.

I still dream about purchasing the Surefire AA E2L

Duel output and it uses AA batteries!

I had EDC a surefire L1 for about a year and loved it!
I have not looked at surefire.com for awhile, but I now see the L1 has been discontinued!

When did that happen? Being I seem to have flashlight fever I may just have to check out ebay for the L1.

Retinator

Enlightened
I've thought about the E2L-AA myself a few times. But Having the E2DL and E1L, I'm not sure I need it.

The Saint is the only other light that'll take AA's, and I hope the new versions get released someday.

The L1 was supposed to be relaced with the LX1, similar to the L2's replacement by the LX2.

Personally I think there's too many single cell lights in the lineup:

E1L
E1B
Titan (123a version)
I know the L1 (as far as output) was between the E1L & E1B, but I think maybe the E1B's sales eclipsed the L1 altogether (speculation on my part).

Retinator

Enlightened
One of the drawbacks to 2xAA is the length. I too, prefer the 2x123a, but the ability to feed it easily while travelling makes it quite attractive..

Funny, I just sold off my 3-AA Mini Magled last week :) That thing was long (long in the tooth too).

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know you're looking specifically at the E2L AA, but it also sounds like you're just a fan of 2xAA lights in general.

If that's the case, do you own (or have you tried) the Fenix TK20? It's getting a little hard to find now, but in my opinion, the neutral XR-E they used in that light has the best tint any LED has ever put out (and I have my fair share of Nichia 119's, SSC P4's, etc). It was the 2nd "serious" light I purchased and dozens of lights later, it's still my absolute favorite. I've either given (or will be giving) a Fenix TK20 and a Zebralight H501W to all my good friends.

Not trying to derail your thread, just a suggestion for an alternate 2xAA, dual-output light that's tougher than nails.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the E2L AA is great. Love mine. 80 lumen may not seem much but it is definitely plenty bright for 95% of my usage. What I do love however is that at 9 hrs on high it seems to run forever on a couple of L92 lithium batteries. When I run it on low output it just seems to go on and on. Had new batteries in my E2L AA since two or three months ago and have been using it almost every night for a few minutes getting around the house and the batteries are still going strong.

Another thing I like is the TIR optic. Some may not like it for it doesn't produce as much spill light as a what reflector could do but I seem to like it. When outdoors, especially one with plenty of undergrowth, the lack of too much spill actually helps very much in not blinding me. A floody light tend to reflect back at me from the spill light hitting the bushes, and I ended up not being able to see what is behind those bushes. The TIR also helps to throw the light further, thus making an 80 lumen hotspot look almost as bright as a competition 200 lumen light at longer distances.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
How does the E2L run on eneloops? It just went on sale at lapg for 126. Seriously considering it now.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2L runs awesome on Alkies, Eneloops, and Lithium. Plus, it'll also run any 1 cell E-series head (E1B, E1e, L1). Awesome light...I just like theutility of it...I can have 20 eneloops charged up, some spare lithiums, and have a power outage light for months. Add a solar charger to the mix, and you have your perfect end of the world AA light...one that's actually tough enough to survive what you can throw at it.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
I think I already read this somewhere but can the E2L run off of an RCR123? If I were to say stick the head on the E1L Body

Tommygun45

Enlightened
I think I already read this somewhere but can the E2L AA run off of an RCR123? If I were to say stick the head on the E1L Body

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it can't. Surefire seems to have gone out of their way to make sure the AA head only works with AA's. It will run on a primary 123, but that's it. It's amazing that it will run at 3.4v, but flicker on an rcr, but it does.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Now does it flicker the whole run or just till the battery winds down a bit?

I'm satisfied with keeping it AA and paring it with different heads as needed but I am a Lego junkie.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure if it will run at on an rcr at lower voltage. I suppose that a tight voltage range keeps the efficiency high.

bluebonnet

Newly Enlightened
The Surefire E2L AA coupled with a F04 diffuser make for a great, easy-to-locate night-light. Good, all around emergency flashlight that should serve my needs well. No regrets, solid purchase.

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
If it would tail stand I would have it purchased it already, well, I'm going to get one eventually anyway. :)

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it would tail stand I would have it purchased it already, well, I'm going to get one eventually anyway. :)

ive tried my E2L-AA with the Z68 tailcap, as well as the mcclicky tailcap, both will allow for tailstanding. and i prefer the stock tailcap more. the e2l-aa is pretty long, and when used with a shrouded tailcap i usually hold the light more towards the tailcap. with the stock protruding switch i hold the light more towards the middle of the body.

but ive learned to live without tailstanding ability, and actually prefer a protruding switches cause its easier to access.

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
I also like protruding switches for ease of access and have a couple of extra Z68's floating around. I guess with so many other SF lights that I have these days (too many, nahhh) , I try to find a purpose for the next one. For some reason the E2L-AA is what I think of when hurricane season arrives. I did purchase a Sunwayman V20A anniversary edition when they first came out before the SF AA was even available and it is an excellent light. When I use it as a candle I'm thinking it really can't be beat and ended up getting a 2nd one. If I didn't have those I'd have the E2L-AA already but now maybe I'll wait for a used one with some scuffs and a lower prices. Evidently that may be a while.

BIG45-70

Enlightened
My E2L-AA is the only light I would never sell. I take it with me into the field as a backup light and when it's not in my ruck its in a pack. I just wish they made a single cell AA so I could EDC it.