Brightest light under 4 inches?

SC300TWINTURBO

Newly Enlightened
I love flashlights now! Didn't know that such company carries so many flashlight. I love my SC600 so far, suits my daily need.

I haven't yet actually fork up the $$$ to purchase the JetB RRT-3 yet.

I was looking for some stuff in the garage and happen to stumble upon my old LED (30 LED) flashlight that is 3.8'' in length and 1.2'' in diameter on the sleeve handle area. The diameter of the head is 1.8''.

I then thought, this is a very sturdy feel for a light that I misplaced awhile ago and found just now. Then I ponder if there is any light out there that is less than 4 inches long and doesn't use the 30 odd so LED.

Shoot me in the right directions please!

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Plenty of lights around shorter than 4", and lots of them will blow your 30 led showerhead light totally into the weeds.

Some more info on your requirements and priorities will help us give you better advice:

Intended usage, preferred diameter, weight, batteries (primary or rechargeable, NiMh, Li-ion, AA, AAA, (R)cr123), user interface, levels of output, run time, budget, material (Alu, Ti, Copper, SS), LED Tint, beam (flood vs throw) etc.

As an example of what's currently available in small, bright lights, look at ZL's SC51 or SC31

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming that by asking for the "brightest" you mean "most output" then you have it. There is no other light 4" or under that puts out more light than the SC600 (that I know of).

g.p.

Enlightened
The Zebralight S6330 that is coming out early next year is going to be under four inches and 2400 lumens - basically three SC600's bundled together. The reflector version has specs of 4" and the non-reflector version is claimed to be 3.5".

Quality

Newly Enlightened
THE Q50!

Darn LEDninja beat me to it.

Seriously though, its the Q50. Its 3.35 inches long though, not 3.8 anymore.

Last edited:

hamhead

Banned
The Zebralight S6330 that is coming out early next year is going to be under four inches and 2400 lumens - basically three SC600's bundled together. The reflector version has specs of 4" and the non-reflector version is claimed to be 3.5".
are u serious ?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
are u serious ?

Yeah. Wow. That's a lot of lumens. However I don't know if the OP has something that will necessarily be such an unusual shape in mind. The Q50 is going to be tough to beat with this particular list of requirements.

g.p.

Enlightened
However I don't know if the OP has something that will necessarily be such an unusual shape in mind.
Have you found a picture of it? It's 18650 x3, but I would love to know if it's going to have a round body, triangular, or batteries all side-by-side?

jbrett14

Enlightened
Have you found a picture of it? It's 18650 x3, but I would love to know if it's going to have a round body, triangular, or batteries all side-by-side?

It's listed as 2.25" DIAMETER, so I am guessing that it's a "round body".

Quality

Newly Enlightened
Its going to be a soup can. Its not due out for awhile though, they say first quarter 2012, but we'll see.

Thats why I suggested the Q50 its coming out this month.

Last edited:

g.p.

Enlightened
It's listed as 2.25" DIAMETER, so I am guessing that it's a "round body".
Sweet!

Thanks, I didn't see that. I triangular body would be cool looking, and would be a great anti-roll design too.

SC300TWINTURBO

Newly Enlightened
My intended usage is just ordinary spare light to carry around rather than my ZL SC600 (for full time mechanic work).
Preferred diameter(head) would need to be less than 2 inches.
Batteries wise, I preferred 18650 rechargeables. By all means, CR123A are fine also.
Level of output prefer it to be roughly at least 300 Lumen.
Run Time, Would like it to be on High for a good 1 hour at tops. I don't use the lower modes at all. Prefer it to be use at the brightest mode and once that dims, recharge the battery.
Budget would be $300 and under.
Material, Aluminum is fine.
Beam should be flood. It would be used for close quarters. No more than 20 feet away usage.

Very cool information on the ZL flashlights coming out in the near future.

When can I order one? I am very interested! I'm beginning to start my first flashlight collection.

If the ZL new flashlights are coming out longer than expect date, I don't mind purchasing something else in the meantime and then purchase the Q50 down the line as well.

I'd like to spend money, and flashlights have always seem to fascinate me. It does even more since I've joined this forum.

Thanks for the advices and future information on the ZL new lights!

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
SC600! Best, brightest light at about 4 inches. Just be careful of the quality. ZL's have been known to have quality issues, just check out the threads in our forums.

g.p.

Enlightened
I use my lights at work too (aircraft mechanic) and my most used light is my SC600 (on my belt). After that it's a toss up between:

Zebralight SC51 - 200 lumen, super small, and pretty tough. Runs on AA's which are everywhere at work, and it's tiny enough for pant or shirt pockets. Easy to have it on hand at all times due to it's size.

Lumapower Trust 1 - almost as bright as the SC51 with a standard AA, and much brighter with a 14500. Bigger than the SC51, but not much. The best part is that it has a reversible clip, so I can put it on the brim of my hat and use it like a headlamp for hands free work in a pinch.

Zebralight H51 - for longer jobs I use the H51 along with it's headband. I also glued a rare earth magnet to the battery cap. That way I can usually find something nearby to stick it on while I'm working.

Crappy Maglite with Fusion 36 LED module - It's big and it sucks, but I use it for messy jobs when I don't want to wreck one of my "nice" lights. The Fusion 36 makes it a pretty decent light.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
brightest light under 4"

Would be easier if you'd rename this thread "brightest light OVER 4 inches", & allow burst mode runtimes, turboheads, AA's, & lights that are not yet available!

:laughing:

>under 4 inches?
>high (300l) for a good 1 hour
>diameter(head) less than 2 inches.
>18650 or cr123a
>When can I order one?

If 4" & under inclusive is allowed at least, ET's new minis are out:
-d25c2 4" x .78" 295 lumens 1hr 30min, 343 lumen burst

And JetBeam's RRT-0 with infinitely variable UI gets you real close on 1 cr123a (xml is now shipping):
-s2 3.8" x 1" 260 lumens 45min
-xml 3.9" x 1" 260 lumen 1hr 15min, 550 lumen 20min