Zebralight SC600 review - impressions, pictures and beamshots

dheim

Newly Enlightened
The SC600 (2nd​ wave) is an 18650 fed torch, powered by a Cree XM-L emitter. It's the biggest and most powerful flashlight in Zebralight's arsenal but it's still surprisingly small, with a minimalistic, clean and extremely compact design. It's layout is not meant for tactical or cigar grips as-seen-in-tv, but for a much more relaxed stance, thanks to its side button (smaller, more recessed and stiffer than on previous models, to avoid accidental activations) and the small cuts in the body that provide a comfortable rest for fingers. Finish is Zebra's trademark greenish gunmetal (a nice departure from the usual black anodizing).

IMG_9779_resize.jpg

IMG_9809_resize.jpg

IMG_9798_resize.jpg

size comparison... from left to right: fenix tk21 (18650 or 2xCR123), xeno g10v2 (18650 or 2xCR123), led lenser t7 (4xAAA), zebralight sc600 (18650), led lenser Vsquared (old model - 3xAAA), AA cell

The UI is identical to the SC51s (and I presume to every current Zebralight model), with 3 main modes and 2 submodes each: when light's off a single brief press activates high mode, two fast clicks switch it on in medium mode and a slightly longer press is for low mode. When light's on a single click shuts it off and double click change sub-mode. Regardless of the light's status, holding the button cycles through main modes, from low to high.
It can sound quite confusing, but I'm not a 27-functions-in-a-single-button type and yet find it very easy and intuitive to use. The range of available light levels (all current regulated) is wide, for every situation and taste:

• Low2: 0.1 lumens (80 days of continuous use). Lots of flashlight fanatics don't even buy a torch if it lacks such sidereal light modes. I'm not one of them, but I agree that it's got some use… in complete darkness it's enough to read a map or simply a book without impairing night vision or annoying other people around.
  • Low1: 2.8 lm (280 h). enough bright to light a small room and actually see something…
  • Mid 2: 21 lm (50 h). more than enough for indoor use.
  • Mid1: 65 lm (18 h). very usable outdoors (and more than some 600$ tactical flashlight on the market…), you'll hardly need more light indoors
  • High2: 200 lm (5.9 h) default, can be programmed (after 6 subsequent double clicks) to 330 lm (3 h), 500 lm (2.1 h) or 4 Hz beacon strobe. Personally I stick with the default 200 lm level, that's all I need for general outdoor use if there's no need for very long running times
  • High1: 750 lm (!) for 5 minutes, then 500 lm (2 h). this time limit has nothing to do with battery voltage but it's timer-regulated to avoid overheating, so it resets after the torch has been switched off… anyway 500 lm are still LOTS of light.
The SC600 (like all Zebras) is a very floody light, unable to throw at more than 150 m (that means more or less 100 m of usable light at maximum brightness), but extremely useful in most real life situations, thanks to its big and "soft" hotspot that smoothly and gradually diffuses into a very wide spill (I have a thing for floody lights, I know…). The only problem, that the SC600 shares with every XM-L light I used, is the greenish tint. The REAL problem is that – perhaps because of the floody nature of the beam – it appears visibly greener than on other lights, most of all on lower output modes… I'm not a tint snob, but if you are be warned… neutral white versions should be available.

warning! the following beamshots are not really indicative of actual brightness... wall shots are dimmed to better show tint and patterns, but in real life the SC600 (as well as the other torches portrayed) is much brighter (and definitely blinding on a white wall on turbo)! outdoor shots are all but "scientific"... i can't say how far are the trees in the background, and the torches have been held in random positions during the shooting session...

SC600turbo_resize.jpg

IMG_9841_resize.jpg

turbo (750 lm)

SC600H2_resize.jpg

IMG_9840_resize.jpg

high 2 (200 lm)

SC600M1_resize.jpg

IMG_9839_resize.jpg

mid 1 (65 lm)

SC600M2_resize.jpg

IMG_9838_resize.jpg

mid 2 (21 lm)

SC600L1_resize.jpg

IMG_9837_resize.jpg

low 1 (2.8 lm) - the green tint is definitely visible

Compared to my Fenix TK21U2 and Xeno G10v2, the SC600 is smaller, lighter and brighter, with lots of possible light levels and a slightly better cell life. It's by far the worst thrower (both Chinese torches fire beyond 200 meters), but it's designed to be a short-medium range light – and it does its work perfectly good, providing a wider view angle and no blinding hotspot unless at very close range.

SC600turbo_resize.jpg
TK21turbo_resize.jpg
G10v2high_resize.jpg

IMG_9841_resize_resize.jpg
IMG_9845_resize_resize.jpg
IMG_9849_resize_resize.jpg

from left to right: SC600 (750lm), TK21 (468lm), G10v2 (480lm) on maximum output - the Zebralight is by far the best flooder, the Xeno has got a slightly wider spot than the Fenix but less spill (G10v2's wall shot is little biased by the slightly farther position, while the outdoor beam looks narrower than it is actually, i held the torch in a different relative position to the camera, the gods know why...). it's much less apparent than in real life, but the Xeno has got the best tint, more bluish than greenish.

with a maximum output rated at 750 lumens, the SC600 is able to withstand a comparative "test" alongside a couple of much bigger torches like the Fenix TK41 (800 lm) and TK45 (760 lm) - that are able to sustain turbo mode for a much longer time, by the way.

SC600turbo_resize.jpg
TK45turbo_resize.jpg
TK41turbo_2_resize.jpg

IMG_9841_resize_resize.jpg
IMG_9836_resize_resize.jpg
IMG_9832_resize_resize.jpg

SC600 (750lm), TK45 (760lm), TK41 (800lm)

So, concluding, the SC600 is compact (just a tad bulkier than the Led Lenser M1 that's been my EDC for some time) and can be easily carried in a pocket, floods lots of light and it's extremely versatile, so it's currently on top of my advice list for both EDC use (if dimensions are not a strict requisite) outdoor walking (if real throw capability is not needed) and general indoor use.
I just wonder why Zebralight offers no included nor optional pouch/holster, but (for who cares, I'm a pouch maniac) the Led Lenser V series pouch fits like a glove, unless the clip is attached.

Just watch out if you don't particularly like GREEN... :eek:

Last edited:

saypat

Enlightened
Terrific review! You really have that product photography down! Those 1st two pics are wow! Nice light but I'm waiting on the H502 next month. What, get both?

Quelalumieresoit

Newly Enlightened
Greetings from BELGIUM,
Thanks for the great review.
I own the SC600 first version and I really appreciate this fantastic small light.

I need confirmation on one point: are you sure that the 2nd generation is 2 X RCR 123 compatible?
"The SC600 (2nd​ wave) is an 18650 (or 2xRC123)"

dheim

Newly Enlightened
Greetings from BELGIUM,
Thanks for the great review.
I own the SC600 first version and I really appreciate this fantastic small light.

I need confirmation on one point: are you sure that the 2nd generation is 2 X RCR 123 compatible?
"The SC600 (2nd​ wave) is an 18650 (or 2xRC123)"

no, it was a mistake, promptly corrected... i wish it were true! :)

dheim

Newly Enlightened
Nice light but I'm waiting on the H502 next month. What, get both?

:hitit:
exactly!

i'm really curious about the incoming Q50, but i'm not sure i'll buy so soon another flashlight of the current generation... time will tell!

wildweed

Newly Enlightened
I must have got lucky in the tint lottery. Mine don't have hardly any green in it. I like the tint of mine better than my others. Lucky I guess

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course it's the fact that Zebralight chose to optimize the circuit for 18650 that helps give this light it's excellent efficiency (best in class I believe, according to selfbuilt), so while I too would love to be able to feed it CR123 cells, in reality I rarely use them and it's a pretty minor issue for me.

Very nice review and photos, dheim. Enjoy your new light!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I am waiting impatiently for the SC600W. Can't stand cool lights that are green tinted.
I am waiting for the SC600w too but I can assure you that the SC600 isn't as green as what you have thought. Both of mine looks somewhat nearer to yellow than green. Not too sure how I would describe it. It is still pretty white but more to creamy white with a very very slight yellow green to it. In fact, I think the tint is quite identical to the latest Quark XM-L neutral white (if you have one), but much cooler.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review dheim! Good work on those beam shots! I always like to see beam shots in actual use opposed to white wall shots. Thank you!

dheim

Newly Enlightened
for those interested, i edited the review adding comparative shots with the Fenix TK45 and TK41 as well! :naughty:

Chip

Newly Enlightened
Just watch out if you don't particularly like GREEN... :eek:

No!! I hate the green tint. Those photos look green to me too. I thought this was "cool white" and had more of a blue if anything. I have a zebra light SC51 and it looks about as pure white as I can tell.

fnj

Enlightened
You can't possibly judge tints from beamshots in a browser, except somewhat and only relatively, from carefully run A-B comparisons with precisely the same setup, run back to back with equivalent manual camera settings. You'll be able to see which lights have weird rings of color and stuff like that, but not the degree of weirdness.

Trying to judge absolute tints in your browser is doomed because, first, the camera won't have the same response as your own eyes, and second, your monitor won't look exactly the same as anybody else's monitor.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't possibly judge tints from beamshots in a browser, except somewhat and only relatively, from carefully run A-B comparisons with precisely the same setup, run back to back with equivalent manual camera settings. You'll be able to see which lights have weird rings of color and stuff like that, but not the degree of weirdness.

Trying to judge absolute tints in your browser is doomed because, first, the camera won't have the same response as your own eyes, and second, your monitor won't look exactly the same as anybody else's monitor.
Spot on. That's why I don't trust what I see on the browser.