Fight of the Infinitely Variable CR123A lights...

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Today the RRT-0 R5, RRT-0 S2 and V10R-XML, V10R-Ti join this month with the RRT-0 XML to shake up the establishment...

hidcanada20120217202028.jpg

hidcanada20120218030327.jpg

-------

Here are my quick thoughts:

RRT-0 XML:
- Bought this one last month to try out the legendary 550lm. Worried that I wouldn't be able to keep it in the "safe zone" using RCR123A. There's no way of knowing where on the infinitely variable ring that it's drawing under 1.5a. Has the smoothest ring action of them all. Played with the AA extender but is just "too dim" and a waste of the XML horsepower, though the extender made it a joy to hold. Excellent forward tail switch, great feel.

RRT-0 R5:
- Bought this to alleviate problems with going max. In theory should be able to go max without any worry. Because this came with the SMO, the hotspot was small and I missed the super flood of the XML version. The ring is grittier and the color is more purple. Overall, a disappointment. I ran with an AA extender for a while just because. Not so spongy tail switch.

RRT-0 S2:
- Bought this with the OP. Only been a few hours but it's noticably dimmer than the R5 but definitely floodier. The color is also on the green side. I'm not sure if I like this. On the plus side, the ring is tighter and smoother, though still not as buttery as the XML version. Very spongy tail switch.

V10R T6:
- Very, very nice. The build is tight, and solid. The ring is tight but has a very defined movement. Ring only turns about 45 deg vs about 270 deg on the RRT-0. This means it's a little more difficult to "dial in" the setting you want and one hand operation is more difficult. This is also because the ring is flush with the body. Notice that just before dialing to max, there appears to be a "jump" of, oh, 40 lumens? I'm just guessing here. Overall, this fellow has the best build quality. The SWM lights don't have a "standby" setting on the ring like the RRT-0. Have to turn it off using the tail switch.

V10R Ti:
- Very, very nice indeed. The threads are pretty "squeaky" and tight. Beam is better than the RRT-0 R5 mostly because it's more neutral and the OP makes it less "spot throw". If this had the XML and a less tight/squeaky head then it would be absolutely perfect. For the past 30 minutes I've been searching on ways to transplant the V10R T6 XML into this light.

-------

So that's my 2 cents. If I had to only keep one light, it would be the RRT-0 XML hands down. It's just so nice to live with -- smooth dial, forward clicky, excellent flood, etc. The only qualm is then (barring the "where is the >1.5a draw on the dial") if you keep it in your pocket, the ring is loose enough to lose your setting. Luckily, it's just a flick of the wrist to dial in what you want. Oh, and the V10R don't have strobe (or I haven't discovered it) but that's just meh.

I've got an Xtar W21 (and S1) on the way. While the build on the W21 will certainly be less, the price is much, much less as well. It may very well be the poor man's pocket rocket (400+lms with RCR123A).

EDIT: I'm starting to fall for the V10R XML. Will have to live with it for a while longer to be sure. The quality of the beam is just so much better than the RRT-0 XML copy I've got...

Last edited:

TurboTalon

Newly Enlightened
Does your v10r ti also do that little "jump" in lumens when almost dialed to max?

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Yes both the T6 and Ti do it. Couple that with the short 45 deg twist travel, it's a bit annoying for now.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
More thoughts.

The V10R XML is like an Aston Martin DB9... a Stealth Fighter. The RRT-0 XML is like a GTR... Concorde. Sure the latter is quicker, faster, err brighter -- but the former is more satisfying to erm drive when fit, finish and comfort are factored in.