Durability of the Zebralight sc600

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need to decide if I want to purchase this light...comments regarding failures, drops....durability, dependability ect would be appreciated.

syntax

Newly Enlightened
My SC600 took a fall from waist level to the concrete, bezel down, about 2 weeks ago. The drop shattered the lens and broke either the driver or the LED. It definitely did not survive the drop. The good side is that Zebralight agreed to fix it for $10, presumably shipping costs. On another note, my intermediary light, Eagletac D25LC2, took a fall in the same fashion last week, bezel down on concrete and survived with barely a scratch. I still love my pocket cannon SC600, but I wouldn't call it durable.

sbbsga

Enlightened
The same thing happened to my SC600w after only about 2 weeks of ownership but the floor tile was not chipped, glass did not shatter, only a mark on the bezel at the point of impact. I sent it back and my seller replaced it with a new one. Yes, it is still my EDC and I know its limitation now.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The same thing happened to my SC600w after only about 2 weeks of ownership but the floor tile was not chipped, glass did not shatter, only a mark on the bezel at the point of impact. I sent it back and my seller replaced it with a new one. Yes, it is still my EDC and I know its limitation now.
You returned the light to the dealer because you dropped it and chipped it? That's so unethical right?

sbbsga

Enlightened
You returned the light to the dealer because you dropped it and chipped it? That's so unethical right?

I am truly sorry to have appeared as such, I thought everybody would have understood the context.

Right after the incident, I emailed my seller because I would like to send it back to be fixed - it was still new and really a useful light. I explained how the torch was damaged and whether to ship it back to him or Zebralight. Thankfully, his said he will handle it for me. After a week or so, he replied stating he had received my SC600w and he would replace it free of charge, he did not even ask for shipping fee.

Now, I would love to share the actual conversation here but that would conflict with forum policy and is unethical. :)

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my SC600 for more than a year, and it's been my EDC. Not a shelf queen. The worst drop it's sustained was when it was raining one night and I was running, I began crossing a road, and somehow I think I was fumbling for my jacket zip or something, it slipped and dropped onto the tarmac HARD. It wasn't just a small knock, eg effect of gravity, it had some momentum. The only injury it sustained was a slight mark on the bezel. Maybe I was lucky, with the angle it landed or something. Anyway, it's never failed me, and I'd definitely get another ZL.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am truly sorry to have appeared as such, I thought everybody would have understood the context.

Right after the incident, I emailed my seller because I would like to send it back to be fixed - it was still new and really a useful light. I explained how the torch was damaged and whether to ship it back to him or Zebralight. Thankfully, his said he will handle it for me. After a week or so, he replied stating he had received my SC600w and he would replace it free of charge, he did not even ask for shipping fee.

Now, I would love to share the actual conversation here but that would conflict with forum policy and is unethical. :)
I see. Now I understand why. Hope you are happy with the SC600w. Love mine.

Flask

Newly Enlightened
I have never dropped my Zebralight sc600, (yet), but do use it every night and would hate to be without it now.
It is an Awesome little light and does all I need (and more).
I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should it fail after a few years...say a cracked lens...or just stopped working...where would I send it to for repair...and would you expect the service to be good. What about cost...think they would take me to the cleaners?

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SC600 took a fall from waist level to the concrete, bezel down, about 2 weeks ago. The drop shattered the lens and broke either the driver or the LED. It definitely did not survive the drop. The good side is that Zebralight agreed to fix it for $10, presumably shipping costs. On another note, my intermediary light, Eagletac D25LC2, took a fall in the same fashion last week, bezel down on concrete and survived with barely a scratch. I still love my pocket cannon SC600, but I wouldn't call it durable.
Good info, thanks!
In terms of durability, impact resistance against drops, all China-made production lights are about the same, i would believe. Maybe Armytek is an exception. Are they China-made too?

We should never let our torches drop 100% bezel down, not even Prometheus Alpha ("Dont let it land on the head!"):

I did break my Xeno E03 (glass lens + driver) by such a waist-level drop test bezel down onto bathroom tiles!
( i did get a full replacement though. Xeno warranty. )

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good info, thanks!
In terms of durability, impact resistance against drops, all China-made production lights are about the same, i would believe. Maybe Armytek is an exception. Are they China-made too?

We should never let our torches drop 100% bezel down, not even Prometheus Alpha ("Dont let it land on the head!"):

I did break my Xeno E03 (glass lens + driver) by such a waist-level drop test bezel down onto bathroom tiles!

Wow, thats one tough light....

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Good info, thanks!

I would say that's hasty generalization. Not all China lights are built like that. I've dropped my xt2c multiple times from heights exceeding its 1.5m rating and it still works perfectly. I even dropped some no-name China lights from over 2m and they still work perfectly. My guess is you probably got your light from a bad batch. I'm sure Zebralight makes good quality lights and, like most manufacturers, suffer from lemons in their production line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

keenism

Newly Enlightened
Hmm,only light i've dropped over $30.... TK35 took a nice drop from the top of my truck(almost 6ft) straight to the bezel on concrete and left nothing but a tiny spot. I figured the battery carrier was going to be ****ed...and sure enough I was wrong :twothumbs, bent the hell out of the top of one of my batteries though.

edit: somehow copy/pasted a piece of someone elses post

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elzetta is the king of tough.
They have a video where they literally hammer a nail into a 2x4 using the head of the Elzetta as the hammer, while it is turned on.
Not even a flicker as they drive that nail into the board. And only the most minimal marks on the anodized head of the light.
I have one, and it even feels like you can't break it, when you are holding it.
The most solid and most unbreakable light that I have ever seen/owned. Bomb proof!

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
Not sure about the SC600, but if it's built similar to my XT11, it can take a beating. I lost count of how many times I have dropped this light from waist high to being above a drop ceiling onto concrete. Sure, there are blemishes on it...it's a work light...I don't really care. It never fails and just keeps performing...that's what counts.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I ordered one...and a 3100 18650 batt. Will not be a work light for me...$100 is just to high a price for that, and I have other lights for those things. But...I know it will get dropped sooner of later. So...

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thats pretty messed up! I have repeatedly dropped my BC-10 from over 1.5 meter onto the head with no breakage, and I am glad I dont use my SC600 for an EDC light knowing this^. However, even though my SC600 pretty much just has sat on my shelf for the past 4-5 months with only occasional use, there is this dent in its bezel, and I cant ever remember it being dropped. Its not a huge dent, but obviously it it hit something at some point and has about a 1mm deep x 2mm wide divot knocked into the side of the aluminum bezel.(?)

syntax

Newly Enlightened
I got my repaired SC600 back from Zebralight today. It's good as new! Although I'd default to my Eagletac D25LC2 if I needed durability, the output on the SC600 is still nothing short of amazing. Still love the light.