Cable release that actually works?

gtjonathan

Newly Enlightened
I'm talking about the old school mechanical ones, not electronic.

I saw a few different types at Henry's, ranging from $5 - $10.

So I try all of them.

And they all have the same problem. I screw in the cable, lock down the button and walk away. But as soon as I drop the cable: *click*. It seems that as the cable bends, the needle retracts back into the cable, thereby ending the bulb exposure! It only works if I hold it straight up for the duration of the exposure, which defeats the purpose of using the cable!

So, where can I buy a cable release that actually locks properly?

fyrstormer

Banned
If I understand the mechanics of what you're trying to do, there is no easy solution. Movable cables inside flexible housings will ALWAYS retract slightly when the housing bends. The housing is made of a tightly-coiled wire coated in rubber, and when the housing bends, the outward sides of the coils flex open a bit, while the inward sides of the coils are already pressed together and cannot contract. This causes the overall length of the housing to increase when the housing bends. The only solution to your problem is to adjust the pin at the end of the cable, so it doesn't disengage until it has been retracted *further* than will occur just from bending the cable housing. This is usually done via a screw-threaded cable length adjuster at one end of the housing; if yours doesn't have an adjuster, you need to add one (perhaps from a bike shop) or buy a better cable.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's not a silly question, does the cable release work if used from the start in its final resting position?
That is, is the travel sufficient to operate (and lock) with a bent cable, but if used straight, movement is stopped by the camera (and subsequently locked) pretty much at the point where it triggers the exposure and any retreat when then bending ends the exposure?

I seem to remember having to get a reasonably long-travel cable release to get reliable operation with my cheap Rollei 35s many years ago - there certainly used to be some meaningful variation between releases in terms of how far the needle extended.

gtjonathan

Newly Enlightened
fyrstormer - thanks, got one with an adjuster and it works much better.

uk_caver - yes, it would stay locked if I started the exposure in it's hanging position. but even then, it's just so sensitive.

I seem to have a working no-name brand cable with an adjuster now. Still, these things are a real pain...