What traits make a good battlefield flashlight?

Rob Flanery

Newly Enlightened
A friend of mine has a son who is currently headed into harms way and I was thinking that a good light system would serve him well. But at this point I am stuck. What makes a flashlight great in field service? Battery type, throw or spill, ultra low map mode, rail mount? Many more things come to mind. Should it be based on AA's to provide for ease of replacement? Would a solar charging solution serve? It would have to be tough, and not at all shiny when carried.

A little help from those of you who might have gone down this road, or those who have a good feel for this would be much appreciated. I have a hard time coming up with a better gift for a young man in the field.

Semper Fi, Bob

JCD

Enlightened
Are you looking for a personal light or weapon light? What light(s) will he be issued?

Avoid alkaline cells. CR123A primary lithium cells offer greater energy density. Rechargeable cells on the battlefield would be more trouble than they're worth, especially considering the extra precautions they require. Plus, I think troops have pretty easy access to primary cells.

The two guiding principles I would use for choosing a light for a combat theater would be simplicity and durability. More than three modes (H-M-L) is probably too much.

I don't think any lights have been battlefield tested as extensively as Surefires. There are very few other production brands I would even consider, maybe Malkoff, Streamlight, and Elzetta. But Surefire would have the edge simply because of how many have been successfully used by troops.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'll echo some of what JCD stated.

Decide if he needs handheld or weapon mounted then find out what cells he has access to. It's usually CR123's but some units are issued lots of AA's too. A one or two mode light that's reliable would probably be most appreciated and Surefire is by far the most commonly used light by US forces. I have lots of friends who are serving or who have served over there and a Surefire flashlight, a good knife or candy are often the most appreciated gifts.

Rob Flanery

Newly Enlightened
I will take a look in the direction of the Surefires. I was not aware that batteries were that readily available. I do agree that less complexity would be better. It is the durability that I am most concerned with. Interesting that you mentioned a knife. I am looking at that as well in a different venue. I am a big fan of making informed decisions, thus the reason for this post.

Hmmmm.... Hard candy. The grunts best friend. And if you send any you better make sure you send enough for all.

I am off to start reading over Surefire. Thanks.

SF, Bob

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends. In Army speak the universal answer is METT-TC (Mission Enemy Time and Troops available - Civil Consideration) dictates is the "right" answer to all such questions.

It really depends on a lot of different factors. There's no one right answer for "the battlefield." One friend I knew liked all AA devices based on his Afghan experience. It wasn't because CR123 weren't available through the supply system but because he spent a lot of time far from convenient supply by that system. AAs he could buy all over the place and he had operational funds to do it with.

Rob Flanery

Newly Enlightened
One friend I knew liked all AA devices based on his Afghan experience. It wasn't because CR123 weren't available through the supply system but because he spent a lot of time far from convenient supply by that system. AAs he could buy all over the place and he had operational funds to do it with.

This is the kind of thinking that has me leaning AA as well. I don't think that he would find himself in a location that he couldn't be supplied but I wouldn't want to make that judgement with what is now know only to find that the situation on the ground changed or?

There are a lot of good flashlights out there but I will have to make my mind up fairly soon. I am leaning heavily towards a Jetbeam at the moment.

firelord777

Enlightened
What traits? I guess whatever offers a good beam pattern and UI,

Though I don't particularly support the conflicts we got ourselves in, please convey my appreciation to him,

Cheers