Introducing... the EverMag!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it all started one dark evening here in Milky Labs drinking too many cans of Flashahol (the cheap ones to boot!) with my old buddy whose identity I'll protect by simply calling him the "Lathe Monster." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Under the influence of so many photons, we got to talking, and hatched our nefarious plan. Why? Because we could. Muahahahahahahahaha! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

This was truly a Frankenstonian creation. I took the EverLED that had served me well for so many days of a more innocent existence, strapped it onto a table, then the Lathe Monster and I grafted it into a new body... the... the body of... the... (gasp) the MiniMiniMag. (lightning crashes outside the window.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The Lathe Monster contributed the ring... a ring of AWESOME POWER. As the ring slid around the EverLED, I could feel my spine tingle, and the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. Somewhere a scream was faintly heard. It was at this moment that the EverMag was born. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

Following are some photos of the operation and its aftermath. Warning to those with weak stomachs: turn back now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Here are the parts used in the surgery. Note the Lathe Monster's custom MiniMiniMag (MMM) barrel, the custom EverLED ring, and the cut-down MiniMag reflector...
image-cpf-evermag-parts.jpg

The ring slipped around the EverLED and kept if from flopping to one side inside the MMM barrel. Immediately after the surgery, the subject was able to stand up, candle style...
image-cpf-evermag-candle.jpg

Here is the EverMag with some other test subjects from the lab. Left to right is the MMM with a standard MM+ sandwich and NX05 optic, "Mr. Blue" featuring a MM+ R2H sandwich with NX05 optic, and EverMag using a modded MiniMag reflector...
image-cpf-mrblue-mmm-evermag-standing.jpg

The same lights, in the same order, exhibiting their horrific powers. Note that Mr. Blue is clearly the strongest of the three. The door panels interfering with the beams of the other two weren't the wisest idea. Still, the EverMag gives the standard MM+ sandwich in the MMM a run for its money...
image-cpf-mrblue-mmm-evermag-beams.jpg

Before we condemn the surgery to failure, the EverMag has some tricks of its own. Powered by a single AA NiMH rechargeable battery, the EverMag draws only 415mA midway through its runtime, suggesting a rough estimated runtime of perhaps 4 hours. Plus the EverMag can be focused. At one point, the square shape of the LED die is clearly visible...
image-cpf-evermag-beamshot-square.jpg

But if we keep turning the head, shortly before the light turns off we find the sweet spot...
image-cpf-evermag-beamshot-focused.jpg

The EverMag has one intangible going for it, too. The Lathe Monster has infused it with a strong dose of quality. It feels good in the hand, compact yet solid, with good heft and the smoothest twist action of any MiniMag I've ever used. It wants to be carried.

Beware the EverMag! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice Milky. That side emitter sure does give your AA good spill. I wonder what efficiency the EverLED has? 415mA at the tail. Hmmm. if you can get 4 hours out of say a 2100mAh NiMh, that is superb! Good mod meister /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
SE + MiniMag reflector? Hmmm, has anyone else tried that yet? Might have a winning combo going here!

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
very nice, Milky.

hey, when did you get that ring and custom MMM? because if the person you mean by lathe monster is the same person i think about, then he has some 'splaining to give. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oh yea, the custom MMM has to be longer than the run of MMM from roth, right? because the PR base is simply too long.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice Milky!

Hats off to you and the monster /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Can we common folks get a kit, mmm barell, custom ring and modified reflector. I already have a mmm and house my R2H MM+WO monster led in it.

Bill

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullzeyebill, the kit question would be one for Rothrandir. He made those parts with his superhuman strength. Like Jekyll & Hyde, he drinks a little flashahol and becomes... The Lathe Monster! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shiftd, that's between you and, er, that person. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif BTW, you're right about the length. Just a wee bit longer!

Hotbeam, it's kind of hard to know the efficiency since there's no way to tell the exact current reaching the emitter... but at input of roughly 1.2V and 415mA, it seems safe to say the emitter is being underdriven by a fair amount! I suppose you could make a two cell version of this using a standard MiniOA, but then the battery tube would be a few millimeters too short! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

MR Bulk, Ginseng, thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bravo! Very very good.
I like it.
I guess the heatsinking is totally adaquate. Does it even get warm?

I am interested in one of these as well...

Would modifications to the stock tailcap allow a two cell body?

How does the reflectored throw compare to the NX05?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shankus, nope, it doesn't seem to get even the slightest bit warm. There's a LOT of metal in there!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
hey, even i'm scared! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

shifty, i did this months ago, and yes, my lathe is still down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

i don't think cutting down the dailcap would allow quite enough room /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
i don't have an everled handy, but i believe that in a regular minimag the batteries go pretty much all the way to the end, not allowing enough room for the tailcap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
of course, i [/b]could[/b] be mistaken, i'm not exactly known for my memory /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

as i said, my lathe is packed away right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif , but when it gets back up and i finish several other things of high importance, i might be willing to make a couple of these.

mahoney

Enlightened
I've modded more than a few 2AA Mini-mags to take the PR2 style "Night Pearl" LED lamps, so it should be possible to do an EverLED in the 2AA. Basically, you have to cut the tailcap down to the threads and drill the hole for the spring deeper. Next step is to put the PR2 bulb into a washer or spacer on top of the battery tube and trim the reflector as needed. The gory details of this should be in the CPF archives somewhere.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang you mahoney! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Now I'm gonna have to try to make the EverLED fit into a 2AA MiniMag... well, just BECAUSE... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Another option would be to use a pair of 4/5-AA cells. They are about 6mm shorter than standard, which should give you enough room on a stock 2AA MM body. I've seen a few places that have NiMh 1200 mAh versions.

Batterystation has a 1350mA version, but it is 14.5mm diameter (a bit larger than AA) so it might be too tight in a MM...?

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a hoot to read about this cool mod, kudos to you, Milky, and your associate, The Lathe Monster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BC

unnerv

Enlightened
Very nice Milky and Roth. Even though most of my smaller lights use optics, I really like the beams that reflectors put out. With the luxeons they seems so smooth and have a nice hotspot with plenty of very usefull flood. It looks like you have a winner here.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
illumiGeek, thanks for the tip. Never heard of 'em! But 4/5AA NiMH sounds like it would do the job nicely. Do they recharge in a standard AA charger?

BC0311, thank you sir! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

unnerv, on 1AA the EverLED's output isn't all that bright, but it does put out a nice beam pattern. Thanks for the kind words just the same! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Next up will be an attempt at 2AA. Meanwhile, I've enjoyed reading about your MicroMag, too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
have you tried a nihm battery? i've heard that they work very well in a mmm, and i'm wondering if it would help here, especially since the everled doesn't draw as hard.

everyone else: thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
this really is scotts child. he had the idea and came to me.
i'm just the one who did all the cutting and cursing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
milkyspit said:
illumiGeek, thanks for the tip. Never heard of 'em! But 4/5AA NiMH sounds like it would do the job nicely. Do they recharge in a standard AA charger?

[/ QUOTE ]
Should be no problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roth, in the opening post I mentioned that the EverMag draws 415mA on a NiMH battery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I knew the picture with a lithium AA would be confusing... was just waiting for someone to notice that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Hmm... cutting, cursing... Lathe Monster! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif