Durability of the Fenix PD35

tvsinesperanto

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm after a really bright EDC light & one of the lights on my short list is the a Fenix PD35. However, I have some concerns about it's durability & I'm hoping that someone who owns one can allay or confirm my fears.

I've never actually seen a PD35 in real life, just pics & videos on the net, so I may be way off base, if so please say so. That said however, it seems to me that the rubber switches, particularly the side switch, could be a weak point & break/wear out fairly easily. The side switch appears to be a soft touch rubber type rather than a tougher hard plastic (like on the Olight S10/20 Baton for example) & I'm concerned that this could be pierced or cut by sharp objects or will simply wear thinner & thinner through use to the point that it splits. I'm not thrilled about the rubber tail switch either but that at least seems to be a bit more robust & is protected somewhat by the end cap.

My main concern is damage incurred while it's in my pocket as I usually like to carry my EDC knife & a couple of other hard objects in the same pocket.

My other concern, albeit a far more minor one, is the Bezel which, if I'm not mistaken, is made from Aluminium & not Stainless Steel. It seems to me that this could result in a hell of a lot of dings & dents, especially in my pocket. Has anyone found this to be the case?

Can anyone who has had experience with using & carrying this particular model tell me if I am right to be concerned about this? My EDC gear tends to get a lot of use & takes a beating, so the last thing I want is a fragile light. In fact, it needs to be bulletproof to survive the punishment I'm likely to put it through.

Another question... How does the PD35 carry as an EDC light? It's bordering on the upper limit of what I'd consider a practical size for an EDC so I'd be interested to know if anyone thinks it's uncomfortable or cumbersome to carry (I'd be carrying it in my front jeans pocket using the pocket clip in case it matters).

Thanks in advance,
TV

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
not really PD35 related, but I have used fenix's such as the PD32UE / PD32 and after a short while the tail cap button becomes pretty flimsy all over the place.
seems like really cheap rubber or not a strong design in the tail somewhere. when i would press it , it would be all over the place, so that's why I no longer buy fenix, unless the tail button has been changed to a tougher one.

with the side button, that is not so bad.

thanks.

arcadesdude

Newly Enlightened
No problem with the tail-cap it is been sturdy enough for me and I have been EDCing my pd35 since I preordered it for a couple months now. The aluminum body has not scratched anything in my pockets but it has been dinged when dropped on concrete a few times. I've moved the pocket clip to the back of the light so jet carries deeper and more comfortably in pocket (cargo pants) just fine. Also aligned the pocket clip to "face" the mode switch button for easier access in the dark. From reading reviews on Fenix's lights the mode switch button is probably the weakest part of the light but I have not had issue with it yet.

Sent from my ThL W8 using Tapatalk

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are worrying over nothing,reading to much rubbish from armchair experts who have a mate who has an uncle that is related to the Pope who just happens to own a PD35.Buy it use it and if it fails during warranty get it fixed simple as.

I use my PD32 and PD35 regularly together with my collection.

Good enjoyable hobbies are 100% spoilt by nit picking at any such fault reported as when you read them are actually catastrophes.

Want a good laugh read all the bogey man stories about 18650 batteries.All this written bs spoils the hobby and confuses new people.

wjv

Enlightened
Have several Fenix lights with the side switch. Some of them are from when Fenix first started using that UI (2 years ago??). Have not had a failure of either the side switch or the tail switch. You do have to tighten the Fenix tail switch internals now and then with some needle nose pliers. That takes all of 15 seconds to do.

My only thought is that the PD35 might be a bit large for pocket carry. Personally I carry all of my larger lights (PD32, PD32UE, TK15 and Predator) using holsters. If you don't like the Fenix holsters, Lens Lenser / leatherman has some awesome holsters on their web site for dirt cheap. High quality holsters (similar to the EagleTac holster format.

If you do get a PD35, pick up a couple 18650 batteries & a charger (if you don't already have them). Long term it's cheaper, and with protected batteries, is safer than mix-matching CR123s.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have several Fenix lights with the side switch. Some of them are from when Fenix first started using that UI (2 years ago??). Have not had a failure of either the side switch or the tail switch. You do have to tighten the Fenix tail switch internals now and then with some needle nose pliers. That takes all of 15 seconds to do.

My only thought is that the PD35 might be a bit large for pocket carry. Personally I carry all of my larger lights (PD32, PD32UE, TK15 and Predator) using holsters. If you don't like the Fenix holsters, Lens Lenser / leatherman has some awesome holsters on their web site for dirt cheap. High quality holsters (similar to the EagleTac holster format.

If you do get a PD35, pick up a couple 18650 batteries & a charger (if you don't already have them). Long term it's cheaper, and with protected batteries, is safer than mix-matching CR123s.

+1 very sound advice.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the Nitecore P12 out if you're thinking of buying a PD35.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't speak to the PD35, but I've had my PD32 XP-G R5 for going on two years and with light use, it's been fine. I still have a P1D from maybe six years back and it works well, in limited duty. I've read posts here where some have had issues with the PD35, so keep that in mind, but manufacturers run into problems sometimes.

Look at the Ferrari 458 Italia, lol.

Chris

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the Ferrari 458 Italia, lol.

Chris

:oops:

it happens. i have recently received a pd35 and i like the build very much, it has some weight, good wall thickness and feels solid. i have worn in my pants/jeans pocket, feels ok - i couldnt go any bigger, this is the limit. the side switch sits lower than the fins so is protected some what, you get a spare rubber boot for the main switch.
I think youl like it ,
~ if you damage it you will have to buy the next upgrade :)

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are worrying over nothing,reading to much rubbish from armchair experts who have a mate who has an uncle that is related to the Pope who just happens to own a PD35.Buy it use it and if it fails during warranty get it fixed simple as.
LOL! +1 on myths on flashlight problems. If the PD35 had a faulty part by design, you'd have at least a couple of dedicated threads and dozens of CPFers reporting the same issue.

The only "problem" of sort I can confirm is that the PD32 forward clicky needs occasional tightening, not sure if the PD35 one does too.
Aside from that, out of 18 Fenix lights I own. I only had problems with a Fenix light once and after a few months of daily use: it was replaced in no time!

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a PD35 owner, and you'd be amazed how durable this light can be. So far no problems with it. If you are concerned about scratching the light, the anodizing of this light is quite good and doesn't scratch easily. However if you prefer an EDC light with SS protection, try looking at the Klarus ST2C. I believe it also has PWM like the rest of their lights, but if you can live with the PWM, you don't have to look much further. Klarus ST11 is also okay, will give a bit more lumens and a bit more throw. For the other brands, you have the new P12 from Nitecore (I just ordered mine). Don't forget the venerable Zebralight SC600 MKII L2, one of best EDC's out there. For Sunwayman, they have the V25C, its a new and improved version of the V20C they had a while back. There's the EC25 Cobra from Nitecore. Sunwayman also have the C20C and the more recent C21C. So far those are some of the lights which share the same category as the PD35.

Good luck with your choice! I suggest you check out the features of each, then decide what you are looking for in a flashlight.

tvsinesperanto

Newly Enlightened

Good enjoyable hobbies are 100% spoilt by nit picking at any such fault reported as when you read them are actually catastrophes.

Want a good laugh read all the bogey man stories about 18650 batteries.All this written bs spoils the hobby and confuses new people.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions on this, especially those of you who own the PD35.

Actually, I have heard nothing but good things about the PD35, the only reason I thought that the side switch may wear/break easily is that it looked vulnerable to me. I've seen side switches like that on other devices (printers, dishwashers, etc.) & have seen them tear around the borders merely from use. From what people are saying though, it's not a problem on the PD35.

There are 2 other drawbacks to the PD35 (and the Nitecore P12) in my opinion...

1) It really is on the upper limit of what is practical to EDC
2) The tail switch makes tail standing a no-go. I also find tail clickers a bit awkward.

After some consultation with the forum, I have been advised that I probably don't need 800+ lumens for my purposes (night walking in dark urban areas, finding fallen objects, working on things, etc.) & that the 550 lumens of the Olight S20-L2 Baton would be sufficient. I like the S20 but I also like the JetBeam RRT-01 so I think my choice is going to boil down to one of those, maybe both if I can get it past the missus. ;-)

I think the benefits of the smaller size & nice feature set of the S20/RRT-01 will outweigh the extra output I'd get from the PD35 but if anyone disagrees, I'd like to hear your reasoning.

Thanks again to everyone for helping out a newb, it's appreciated.

Cheers,
TV

tvsinesperanto

Newly Enlightened
The P12 can tail-stand while the PD35 cannot.

Oh, can it? As with the PD35, I've never actually seen one in real life so I'm judging purely from pictures on the net & it looked to me like the tail switch would prevent tail standing.

I guess those are the drawbacks of not being able to actually handle one to get a good feel for it when making a decision like this. The limited range of lights available in Australian stores is a real handicap.

Thanks for the correction.

Cheers,
TV

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, just to add, the good thing about having a light with high lumens is that it's there when you need it, unlike carrying a light which maxes out quite low.

For example, the SC52 can bust 500 lumens with a 14500 cell, but you wont be blasting away at max while walking the dog at night. It would be wiser to leave it running on the next lower setting of 200 lumens or mid at about 70 lumens. If in an emergency when you need big light, 500 lumens is available on tap. This is why it is nice to have an EDC light with the capability when you need it.

the P12 can tail stand, while the PD35, can tail stand a bit once the switch is engaged, but it will not be stable. S20 is also a nice light, i have the non-L2 version.

It really boils down to what you need to use it for.

Stainz

Enlightened
I am a Surefire person, but my new E2D LED Defender Ultra, acquired in Sept, quickly gained a half-sibling - an Olight M22 'kit' complete with 18650 and charger. Hmmmm, there is life beyond CR123a's, I found. Early October found my local haunt with a stack of Fenix PD35's - for $69.99! They sold four hundred of them - including one to me. Wow -another 18650 user - I bought four protected 3600 mA-Hr cells - and have tried to wear the PD35 out. It's well made - close to S-F quality. On or off, however, it won't tail stand - the S-F Defender Ultra will. You could buy a pair of PD35's, 18650's, and charger for what the S-F cost. It's as bright and whiter than the warm toned S-F, which is meant for CR123a's. The Fenix PD35 is a decent flashlight.

Stainz

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

:crackup:

so funny and so true.
thanks for the laugh!

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what it's worth, I've been happy with my PD32UE so far. I've had it for almost a year, and I've used it to work on cars off and on as well as taken it camping. It's been dropped on asphalt two or three times, and other than a few small dings in the finish it still looks great and performs just fine. Oh, and as others have mentioned, I do have to tighten the tailcap ring from time to time.

The PD32UE is my main EDC, but I carry it in a holster which works well for me. I don't think I'd like to have it in my pocket all the time, but then again I also can't stand having much of anything in my pockets all the time. When I sit down I put things on a table beside me, except for holstered items like my Leatherman Surge and PD32UE.

Good luck, and have fun!

wjv

Enlightened
For what it's worth, I've been happy with my PD32UE so far.

I'd personally get the PD32UE over the PD35 simply because:
- The Natural White tint is awesome
- It would be easier to EDC
- It still has very good throw and spill and the beam pattern is very clean

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are fair points, and I agree as well. I prefer the PD32UE tint, and I also prefer the floodier beam of the PD32UE as compared to the PD35. For more throw I prefer using a light that throws a lot farther than the PD35 instead, so for a small light like this I prefer the extra flood for doing up-close work.

However, this is all up to you, and both lights are very nice in my opinion!