Arc AAA and the spin cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aux

Newly Enlightened
I usually do not write "statisfied customer" letters, but a recent experience made posting this seem worthwhile. In another forum, I replied to an inquiry with how I was impressed by the durability of my first Arc AAA. I felt it might be worth sharing here.

I purchased an Arc AAA for some experimentation in forensic identification. At the time, I needed a small, inexpensive, near UV light for some field tests. The Arc AAA was the quickest for me to get.

I carried it around for a while, but the UV light has it's limitations for an EDC, so I did not pay daily attention to it. Some time later I went looking for the little Arc, and sure enough, it was no where to be found.

Turns out I had put it in the coin pocket of a pair of jeans, and forgot it there. It proceeded to get launderes in the washing machine, and came out of the pocket during the cycle, and spent the majority of the wash free floating.

I would have assumed that the water, detergent, the spin cycles would have killed it. I have destroyed a few good gadgets that way. Amazingly however, it lit right up! I removed the head, and the interior was perfectly dry. The only damage was some minor wear to the anodizing, from contact with the drum during the spin cycle, otherwise it is in perfect working order. Tough little bugger. Needless to say, I was somewhat impressed, enough that I have arranged to get a white LED model for EDC.

Now I just need to find a red LED unit for carry on duty for the stealthy nighttime stuff. Kudos on a well executed design Arc!

paulr

Flashaholic
You can get a red Arc AAA from pocketlights.com. Someone also had one on BST a few days ago.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Aux said:
...I would have assumed that the water, detergent, the spin cycles would have killed it...

[/ QUOTE ]

you're kidding right?
the aaa is indestructable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Mine has gone through the dryer too. Full ride in both machines. It might have chipped the paint inside the dryer drum. I was wondering about the clunking sound.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i gave mom a aaa le for christmas today.
dropped it into her mug of 7up while she had her back turned.
turned on.
kinda startled her till she saw what it was.
told her she could rinse it off or toss it in the dishwasher to clean it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
i ran one through the washer here but it didnt get a full ride as i was worried about banging up the drum and rust starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.