Get your Dark adapted eyes ready for some shooting stars!

Poppy

Flashaholic
The Perseid meteor shower will occur with moonless nights this summer Aug 11-15 or so. I think the best night will be Wednesday night into Thursday morning.

Shooting stars are cool, especially with kids!

If you have a dark sky near you, and a clear sky, you may see up to 50 shooting stars an hour!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Poppy! I have my lasers & lights ready. Only part is I am in the Southern area. It looks like we will have less to view. However, I will give it a go. I drive out to the country for the best view. Too many lights in the city.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, talked to wife tonight to confirm short road trip out of city to see some of the action.. Not 100% sure where yet though.. New spot we've never been before or old haunt.
Decisions ☕

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am guessing any time as long as it is dark? I know sometimes they peak at different times. Its almost dark here. I have about another 30 or so min before its fully dark.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight's the night for peak shower viewing! Camera loaded and ready, headlamp batts charged, lens fan batt charged, 2 SD cards cleared and ready......
Now just hoping for clear sky's and low light pollution! If I get any good ones, I'll post 'em here after post production! GL watchers!

(Peak is between 11pm and sunrise but I've found it's always more intense closer to dawn)

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good news: No local light pollution, straight up forest is less than 1km away.

Bad news: My GF gets back home tonight. Maybe I can talk her into staying up until 3 am... after a really long road trip...

Hmm. Oh well, my heart is in the right place at least.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Not good viewing conditions at my location and I've still seen ~4 in roughly half an hour. Watched an Iridium flare thanks to the GoSatWatch app, and spotted a couple unlisted satellites as well. With Art Bell playing over the Bluetooth speaker, of course.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeahkayno...
I Obvious expletive removed HATE Florida.
1st, humidity found its way into my wide angle lens.
2nd, once I finally got everything set up and auto-shooting.... Clouds rolled in. :'(

Last edited by a moderator:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
FRITZHID, this is the second time today that I have removed vulgar comments by you. Please no third time. This is a warning.

Bill

markr6

Flashaholic
I saw a whole lot of nothing. Even the pros posting hours and hours (condensed) footage online was pretty weak IMO. You never really know until it happens I guess, like predicting the weather.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'm spoiled from the 2002 Leonids, got more than one per minute out of that one; I sat out in a lawn chair in a Kansas backyard, 30 degrees with frost settling on me, totally worth it..

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm spoiled from the 2002 Leonids, got more than one per minute out of that one; I sat out in a lawn chair in a Kansas backyard, 30 degrees with frost settling on me, totally worth it..

I remember that year too.
Was great, in northern WI, dark as the ****ens and clear, crisp air.
Now I'm in the south, city lights, humid as all hell. :(

Poppy

Flashaholic
Unfortunately one of my grandkids was running a 101F fever and we didn't go to a dark section of the state. NJ has few dark skies sections. I stepped out a few times for a few minutes at a time, and saw some stars, but it really wasn't dark enough, too much light pollution.

The cub scouts did go to a dark section and saw some... they stayed up until 11:00 then hit the cots. At 3:00 AM, the leaders got them up, they looked at the sky for a few minutes, and went back to bed. I was told that they did see some, and that they over-all had a great time.

I feel badly that WE didn't make it this year... but there is always next year :)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I feel badly that WE didn't make it this year... but there is always next year :)

There are meteors all the time, it's just that normally you'll get maybe ten an hour; if you sit out for roughly an hour on any given night, you'll rack up a few meteors and satellites.