Self defence flashlight options (small size)

xyadam

Newly Enlightened
Hey there flashoholics!

I spent the last 2-3 weeks searching for a cheaper alternative for the Surefire E1D Defender. I love that light but the very high price, customs, VAT just makes it way too expensive to order it to Europe.

I love the interface and the relatively high candela output, and that it is pretty short, running on CR123 batteries.

Can you guy help me with a cheaper option? I don't mind Chineese flashlights, all my Nitecores and Thrunites operate perfectly, and love them.

Here are the requirements:
- At least 300 lumens
- At least 4-5000 candelas (must)
- TIR optic (optional)
- Similar form factor as the E1D Defender
- Strike bezel is not a must
- It should always come up in Turbo mode by default (must)
- It should have a 20-50 lumens dimmer mode
- Battery is CR123 or IMR18350 or 2xCR123 if the form factor is slim
- Pocket clip, bezel down carry

So far there are 1 flashlights that get close to these specifications: the Nitecore MT10C and the Olight M18 and M1X

The Nitecore does not always come up in Turbo so it's kinda problem, the M1X is way too fat, and the M18 can only be carried bezel up. So they are not really good for me. The Eagletac D25C2 is pretty good option, buy still looking for a bit cheaper alternatives.

Any other ideas?

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Hey there flashoholics!

I spent the last 2-3 weeks searching for a cheaper alternative for the Surefire E1D Defender. I love that light but the very high price, customs, VAT just makes it way too expensive to order it to Europe.

I love the interface and the relatively high candela output, and that it is pretty short, running on CR123 batteries.

Can you guy help me with a cheaper option? I don't mind Chineese flashlights, all my Nitecores and Thrunites operate perfectly, and love them.

Here are the requirements:
- At least 300 lumens
- At least 4-5000 candelas (must)
- TIR optic (optional)
- Similar form factor as the E1D Defender
- It should always come up in Turbo mode by default (must)
- It should have a 20-50 lumens dimmer mode
- Battery is CR123 or IMR18350 or 2xCR123 if the form factor is slim
- Pocket clip, bezel down carry

So far there are 1 flashlights that get close to these specifications: the Nitecore MT10C and the Olight M18 and M1X

The Nitecore does not always come up in Turbo so it's kinda problem, the M1X is way too fat, and the M18 can only be carried bezel up. So they are not really good for me. The Eagletac D25C2 is pretty good option, buy still looking for a bit cheaper alternatives.

Any other ideas?

Have you checked out the Nitecore P10 or P20? Those both have a dedicated strobe button on the back, as well as programmable modes so that you have have the flashlight always come on in turbo, which for both of them is above 800 lumens. The P10 is also small, at around 5 inches. They both have a crenelated bezel, and use CR123s or an 18650! I have used the P10 for a long time and it is excellent! I have also dropped it several times onto concrete while trying to do fancy spinning/finger twirl things with it, so it hit the ground with some force. It hasn't showedany hindering of it's performance.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like BoB's NItecore suggestions above, but they also both seem to be 2x123 sized lights, and as such, much longer than what you may be looking for.

For me, the obvious answer here is the Klarus XT1C, run off a 16340 battery. This seems to get you everything you asked for, and then some:

- At least 300 lumens Check -- as long as you run off an RCR and not a 123A
- At least 4-5000 candelas (must) Check -- extremely high candlepower beam for its size, higher than many of my 1000-lumen lights
- TIR optic (optional)
- Similar form factor as the E1D Defender check
- It should always come up in Turbo mode by default (must) check -- but you can also choose, through the secondary button, to have it come up in strobe
- It should have a 20-50 lumens dimmer mode check
- Battery is CR123 or IMR18350 or 2xCR123 if the form factor is slim check ... although now I see 2x123 form factor is okay, in which case, my top recommendation over and above the Nitecores would be the Eagletac DX30LC2, at 22k candela and a solid tactical UI, much thinner than the nitecores fanastic choice
- Pocket clip, bezel down carry don't think it comes with clip, you'd have to get aftermarket

Last edited:

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
I like BoB's NItecore suggestions above, but they also both seem to be 2x123 sized lights, and as such, much longer than what you may be looking for.

For me, the obvious answer here is the Klarus XT1C, run off a 16340 battery. This seems to get you everything you asked for, and then some:
That's another good choice. I don't own one but I've heard good about it. Klarus actually just started sending me lights for review, so I'm excited to see how I like them!

xyadam

Newly Enlightened
That is right, as stated above the P10 and P20 are just way too bulky for me. What I am looking for is a long and slim design (like Eagletac D25C2). Or if it's bulky, then it should be very short (like Nitecore MT10C).

Right now my perfect choice would be the Nitecore SRT3. My only complain that the LED is pretty old, I don't really wanna buy XM-L T6 for like 80$. I wish they would upgrade the LED to something like XM-L2 U3, that would be literally the best flashlight, meeting all my demands.

Same goes for the Klarus XT1C, I am looking for a little bit more output, 3-400 lumens would be the bare minimum, and intensity is higher than 5000 cd,

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
That is right, as stated above the P10 and P20 are just way too bulky for me. What I am looking for is a long and slim design (like Eagletac D25C2). Or if it's bulky, then it should be very short (like Nitecore MT10C).

Right now my perfect choice would be the Nitecore SRT3. My only complain that the LED is pretty old, I don't really wanna buy XM-L T6 for like 80$. I wish they would upgrade the LED to something like XM-L2 U3, that would be literally the best flashlight, meeting all my demands.

Same goes for the Klarus XT1C, I am looking for a little bit more output, 3-400 would be the bare minimum.

I do reviews for Nitecore. I can send them a suggestion to upgrade the SRT6. Or at least make a similar design

xyadam

Newly Enlightened
I do reviews for Nitecore. I can send them a suggestion to upgrade the SRT6. Or at least make a similar design

That is a great idea. Could you mention upgrading the SRT3 too? That flashlight is just literally perfect, just a bit oldie :) I wonder if an XM-L2 U3 fits into that. Or at least an XP-L HI, but it would be too small hotspot for EDC usage for sure.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
That is a great idea. Could you mention upgrading the SRT3 too? That flashlight is just literally perfect, just a bit oldie :) I wonder if an XM-L2 U3 fits into that. Or at least an XP-L HI, but it would be too small hotspot for EDC usage for sure.
I would love for them to update their old line with new XM-L2 U3 LEDs They have amazing efficiency and can reach over 1200 lumens at 3000 mAs

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would look into the elzetta alpha. 315 lumens and the tail cap and bezel are modular. Meaning you can have high/low tailcap or swap it out with a clicky, or swap it out with their other tailcaps. Then you can have a smooth or crenelated bezel. However, the hotspot is not as tight as the E1D. It has a small hotspot but has a very nice spill. Prices Start at $130

TurboBlaster

Newly Enlightened
I own both the Nitecore P10 and SRT5 for EDC self-defense

I find the length to be perfect for gripping leverage for a striking self-defense situation. I do not find them to be bulky. The P10 instant on strobe is great and the SRT5 can be configured to have instant on strobe too

Surefire is way overpriced and low in lumens

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit: Apparently what I said must not be said. :party:

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Thanks for editing that. :) Long standing informal policy to not discuss use of flashlights as a physical weapon. Yours was the third polite PM I sent this week. I appreciate your understanding...

EDIT- Third in two weeks.

Edit: Apparently what I said must not be said. :party:

Last edited:

xyadam

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if this thread makes some people get their post deleted, but it's also true that I am not looking for a baseball bat light, nor for fighting bezel.
I am looking for an EDC sized light which I can carry anywhere, and in case I feel unsafe, it has enough power to reliably confuse/blind a person.
I really like almost a the recommended lights, except the maglites.

There is also 1 important requirement for me: the price ceiling is 80$, so please do not recommend 150$ ones. For that price I would rather just buy the Surefire E1D, because that is exactly what I am looking for, just for cheaper price.

Since I am kinda a flashlight collector, I am really happy with my recent purchase of the Nitecore MT10C. I can carry it on highest mode (9000 candelas are pretty distracting in the night to say the least), and its very good feature that I can override the memory when I need it for EDC, and it will come up in the lowest mode.

The only single feature that I miss if I would be able to do that from the tailcap. Still looking for ideas!