Getting started with a good light and batteries for around $200

BrendonTW

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks,

Looking for a light and some good batteries (preferably rechargeable unless those are just all crap) to get me started for around $200 plus or minus a bit.

I don't have anything specific I'm looking for except brightness. Just looking for something to impress some friends and also to have around whether searching for a lost dog or blinding an intruder. I don't think I need anything with a case (you may tell me otherwise), nothing too large or small, don't care throw vs beam width, hot spot, any of that. I'm just getting started so I don't have anything to be picky about yet. Thanks for any input!

scout24

Flashaholic
Visit Malkoff Devices. Look at the Hound Dog 18650 turn key, and or the MD2 with high/low ring. MD2 is far more general purpose, the Hound Dog is more of a thrower. MD2 you will have to purchase batteries and charger seperately, but I'd wager that Mr. Malkoff will sell you the same charger and 18650 cell with an MD2 that he sells with the Hound Dog.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Welcome aboard to CPF Brendon! Although I don't own one (yet), the first light that came to my mind was a Surefire Peacekeeper. You'd have a choice of the single mode, or dual mode versions to consider. And with a little extra money left towards $200, I'd get an Orbtronic 3500mAH 18650; then you'd have the Surefire battery, charger, and a spare!

BrendonTW

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a million guys.

I wont be be carrying it regularly and none of my friends have anything better than a Home Depot light lol. I will look into the lights you guys mentioned when I get to my computer. I hate browsing from my phone. Anyone know anything about a Fenix TK75?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are thinking about stepping up that far the Nitecore TM16 is another serious contender. Right now you should be able to find one for around $150, so charger and four cells will just about do for your $200 limit. At 4000 lumens on Turbo, anyone you hit with it will sit up and take notice. It is a little large for a pocket light, and some would consider it too heavy for a belt light, but it is really comfortable in the hand, and just an all around nice light. It doesn't come with a holster, but I believe it is HKElectronics sells a nice Acebeam holster on Ebay for around $20. I really love mine.

FourSevens currently has two of their Maelstrom lights on sale. Considering the sale price and warranty, they should be given a L@@K. I own and highly recommend both of them. Dude, for $140 you can purchase both! They are normally $100 each. Also, as a member of CPF, Foursevens.com offers an additional 12% off the sale price. :twothumbs

~ Chance
http://www.foursevens.com/

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
If you are thinking about stepping up that far the Nitecore TM16 is another serious contender. Right now you should be able to find one for around $150, so charger and four cells will just about do for your $200 limit. At 4000 lumens on Turbo, anyone you hit with it will sit up and take notice. It is a little large for a pocket light, and some would consider it too heavy for a belt light, but it is really comfortable in the hand, and just an all around nice light. It doesn't come with a holster, but I believe it is HKElectronics sells a nice Acebeam holster on Ebay for around $20. I really love mine.

Here is a selfbuilt review of the TM16
The trees in the distance are about 100 yards away.
The end of the road is 30 yards away.

BrendonTW

Newly Enlightened
I'm leaning towards the Nitecore TM16 or the Fenix TK75. Can you recommend a brand or type of batteries and a charger? I didn't even realize there were so many variables to batteries, lol.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to find something on Amazon because I have a ton of gift cards , lol. Would something like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZSPX5MC/?tag=cpf0b6-20
That would be fine. There are some that would say cells with more capacity, and recommend the D4 or the Xtar VC4 charger, but this is the setup I started with when I bought my TM11, and it worked great. Given that you have a bunch of gift cards, a package like this makes a lot of sense. I will recommend you get a good voltmeter so you can check the state of charge of the cells now and then. The voltmeters Nitecore builds into the TM line seem to be pretty accurate, but it never hurts to have a second opinion, and with a separate meter you can check each individual cell as they come out of the light to make sure they are staying even.

Whatever you get, enjoy your light, and if it hasn't already been said, "Welcome to CPF!"

ven

Flashaholic
Check the acebeam k60 out too, around $180 on amazon,nice control ring UI, 5000lm , great beam from the xhp70.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the TM16. I would skip the bundle as those 2300mah cells it comes with will get sucked dry in no time in a light as powerful as the TM16. Orbtronic or Keeppower 3500mah 10amp are more than worth it. Ive had both the NC i4 and d4 chargers, while good the VC4 is a big step up from those NC chargers. Just remember to get the required wal wart for it which is available at Xtar.com.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Check the acebeam k60 out too, around $180 on amazon,nice control ring UI, 5000lm , great beam from the xhp70.
Here is a nice review of the K60 with comparative beam shots out to 150 yards of five lights including the TK75.

I have the control ring UI on my TN30 (most believe that it was made by Acebeam) and I taped on a label to indicate what run-time I can expect at each level. If I were to select one of these lights, I might get the K40M because it is a little more compact, and has a more pleasing Neutral tint. BUT that's me lol. If obtained to impress people who wouldn't appreciate a neutral tint, the cool white tints are a bit brighter, and for any particular light would throw a little better.

Last edited: