Old host/new dropin compatibility?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, I just dug out one of my old lights that I bought many years ago(2004 maybe). It is a Pentagon L2. I dont know if you remember them or not? They made some very nice quality US made lights but, got put out of business years ago after loosing a lawsuit to Surefire over their switch design. Anyway, the one I have uses a 85 lumen Luxeon 3(3watt) dropin in with OP reflector. I would like to update it as it is such a nice light and was wondering if this would be a suitable host for any of the new dropins? Can anyone tell me what dropins might work in this or what style dropins it would take? Thanks guy:thumbsup:

Here is some pictures I took for reference. Sorry about the quality.

7izG9bE.jpg

YxMTH8w.jpg

WZCl4MS.jpg

wFhNVrE.jpg

AIdwuOa.jpg

AEc5dpz.jpg

Last edited:

blanex1

Newly Enlightened
what size is the font oping !from what i can see,i don't no why it shouldn't be able to take one of the malkoff drop-in's!or even a solarforce R5 or XLM U2's! is the opening the same as say a surefire 6p host! if it is,then you could pick from a bunch of drop-in's,see the p60 list under the sticky's list at the beginning of the forum hear,sorry i can't be of more help!i'm still learning myself.:thinking:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
what size is the font oping !from what i can see,i don't no why it shouldn't be able to take one of the malkoff drop-in's!or even a solarforce R5 or XLM U2's! is the opening the same as say a surefire 6p host! if it is,then you could pick from a bunch of drop-in's,see the p60 list under the sticky's list at the beginning of the forum hear,sorry i can't be of more help!i'm still learning myself.:thinking:

Thanks for the reply. The drop in is about 27.5mm in diameter. What is the diameter of a standard P60? Thanks:thumbsup:

blanex1

Newly Enlightened
on my surefire 6p i get 2.750" on the front opening,i think you could use any P60 size drop-in and update your light.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys:thumbsup:

Sounds like a standard P60 will fit but, some modding may be required. I may have to grab one and give it a go as this light is really nice and it would be a shame to just let it continue to sit in a drawer(its been in a drawer for close to 10 years as it is). These lights were very high quality and are nicer then many of the modern lights. They have double o-rings at all connection points and have some of the best anodizing I have seen to date. Does anyone have some recommendations for a drop in that would not require much heatsinking(that can run without being heatsinked to the body)? I was thinking about a Malkoff M61 219B V2(225 lumen 4000K 93 CRI single mode) or maybe a M361 219B V2(4000K 93 CRI 3 mode - 15/55/275 lumen).

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the light body has a pretty substantial throat that the dropin goes into, so even moderately powered dropins when wrapped with a copper or aluminum tape for a snug fit would have no trouble at all running for extended periods in that thick aluminum body.

scout24

Flashaholic
If a Malkoff "L" level dropin works in the Nitrolon Surefires with Gene's blessing, they should be fine in this even if the contact is terrible. :)

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I would be 1/2 temped to get a Mountian Electronics NW and wrap the heck out of it in foil. Probably fit good if the length accepts P60 and the Al foil would take care of the rest. Then get a 16650 and bang it would be up to date.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If a Malkoff "L" level dropin works in the Nitrolon Surefires with Gene's blessing, they should be fine in this even if the contact is terrible. :)

Seems like in the LED stone age folks made some sort of collars (similar to above suggestions) to keep their P60 sized emitters from rattling around in the head of the L2.

The L2 was apparently meant for taking a beating on a regular basis so everything was way over designed.

ven

Flashaholic
Thats a cool/solid looking host tac, liking that...............i would say it deserves to be malked! Not bullet proof, nuke proof then! :laughing: May even stand up to your extreme activities :D

For a floody output and good value, check the sportac triple outs too, in nichia flavour...............fantastic imho for the money and your side is $35, equiv here is around $45-$50 and worth every bit!!! My most used drop ins, and dropped they get too:ohgeez: Nice floody tint with reasonable reach

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it:thumbsup:

Could one of you guys measure a Malkoff for me and let me know the head diameter, diameter below the head collar, and the length from top of head to bottom of spring please? Thanks a bunch again.

I think I might have to try and upgrade this. It is such a nice light and I havent used it in many years. The stock dropin is pretty nice actually and has a great beam profile but, its CW and only 85 lumens. I pretty much only like NW these days and prefer at least 80 CRI or better. I just have to decide if I want to keep this single mode/weapon compatible or go with a more versatile 3-mode dropin. I think I will use a length of copper or brass sheet/shim material to center it and aid in heat transfer as well possibly an o-ring if needed. I might have to get a 16650 to try too as I prefer rechargeables for all but weapon use.

Last edited: