What jobs do people do that they need to EDC flashlights?

lacrimosa

Newly Enlightened
I was reading through another thread about how many lights people carry (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?398125-how-many-lights-do-you-carry) and I was wondering what sort of jobs people do that they need to carry so many flashlights. Security work comes to mind, of course, but what other types of work do people do that requires frequent illumination?

FWIW, I work in an office in the middle of the CBD, and I can't really think of a work scenario that I would get into where having a flashlight would save the day. If we had a power outage, the full height windows would let in more than enough light to operate safely. I carry a small flashlight in my bag anyway because, well, I live in hope of coming across that scenario :)

Killfire

Newly Enlightened
I was reading through another thread about how many lights people carry (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?398125-how-many-lights-do-you-carry) and I was wondering what sort of jobs people do that they need to carry so many flashlights. Security work comes to mind, of course, but what other types of work do people do that requires frequent illumination?

FWIW, I work in an office in the middle of the CBD, and I can't really think of a work scenario that I would get into where having a flashlight would save the day. If we had a power outage, the full height windows would let in more than enough light to operate safely. I carry a small flashlight in my bag anyway because, well, I live in hope of coming across that scenario :)

I'm and aircraft mechanic and I have one on me every day and several in my toolbox. Although it's a well lit hanger there are lots of places on the plane that have no light. Having a flashlight on hand saves the walking time.

scout24

Flashaholic
Another mechanic checking in. (Automotive) My brother-in-law does house and commercial property inspections, carries daily as well.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
IT sphere. Switches, firewalls, routers, computers have marked SFP/UTP connectors that are placed in various niches where standard illumination just don't reach or insufficient.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Automotive stuff here too. Also the building has vital computer and other major stuff in rooms with no windows. Most have poor lighting. I guess if your job may require you or others to do any repairs a good light and some basic tools can really come in handy.

_nw

Newly Enlightened
Well I'm a bee keeper so moving bees at night, working under a trailer, or looking for a part in the shed are just a few things I might need my light for. My boss has bought some cheap 3xAAA lights but they're never on hand and only last until the stock alkalines kill them.

NoveskeFan

Newly Enlightened
Law Enforcement. I carry a light of some sort all the time. In general, I believe everyone should EDC a good light. Looking under the hood of your vehicle, looking under your desk for that small thing you dropped or a dark closet for whatever.

D6859

Enlightened
I'm unemployed, but I use my EDC daily. Last night I used it to check my stuff for ticks after walking in a forest for nearly 2 hours.

I do random jobs at construction sites. Many of them don't have working lightning everywhere so that's when a headlamp or a flashlight comes in handy.

I also volunteer at a rock club. During the evening there are lots of dark corners that need to be lit with a flashlight, especially if you're working on the stage and need to connect some stuff. It's also easier to clean up a broken glass on the floor if you use a flashlight.

Also the law requires us to use a light in bicycle if it's dark. And it's dark for the most of the time during the winter. So when I'm riding my bike to the construction site (7am) or to the rock club (6pm) it's often so dark I want to use the light for my own safety.

Edit: In general, I'd say, you don't need to go to work to need your EDC.

Last edited:

skillet

Enlightened
I work on copiers and printers and reach for my light constantly throughout the day. I also find that as my eyes have gotten older, I use my EDC's everywhere I go even when not work related. Most places just don't have enough lighting for me to be able to read labels on shelves or other various places.. The more I use it, the more I find the need to use it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well lacrimosa, have you ever dropped something and just had a heck of a time finding it?
Flashlight near the floor shining the beam causes said it to cast a shadow.
Certainly lighting shadow behind a file cabinet, under the office fridge into computer fan, or numerous other situations do not occur everyday.
But when they do a 1aaa light in your pocket will cause your coworkers to call you hero.

My outdoor job involves inspecting pipes, cavities and other things we try to use sunlight to mirror beams for when possible. But at times the required angle vs the suns position doesn't work out, or cloudy days happen. So a flashlight is useful.

When I'm indoors a flashlight has come in handy for uses described above.

If you carry a pocket sized torch...the kind about the size of a tube of chapstick you'll be surprised how handy it is.

No more squinting.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Usually to light up a room or read small print in a hard to reach area but sometimes to check out my car in a dark parking lot 100 yards away. To do this I have to carry 2 flashlights. For years I looked for a great flood to zoom small enough to pocket carry but I've given up. I never like the looks of the beam. Too fussy.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I make beer for a living, such as it is.
I use a flashlight every day in the Brewery, inspecting the inside of casks, checking the cleanliness of my vats, measuring fluid levels and looking for cobwebs. I prefer a neutral 4000K light but for these jobs a cool white is invaluable. All the lights I use have been dropped in large tanks of water, not beer thankfully, and have lived to see another day.
P

tex.proud

Enlightened
I work as a field technician for a large telecommunications company that doesn't like being mentioned in social media.

I carry a small light for those up close or small places you can find telephone wires either indoor or outside. It also helps to discern the pair colors in weathered and faded splices.

I carry a larger/much brighter light for when I need to light up an attic, under a building, or in drop ceilings and such.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Let's see, er... you are evacuating in a internal staircase and the emergency lighting goes off. Happened to me once at 11.30 a.m, using a mobile phone as a light source is not as good as having a flashlight.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the current lights had been available when I worked in IT, I would definitely EDCed one. I started to EDC when I worked in a commercial kitchen. Lots of shelves to look under and to the back of. Our walk-in cooler and freezer were both about 8'x10', with shelves on both sides, and a single 60w bulb at shoulder height by the door. Very useful for checking those back corners of the shelves. And then there was the time the resident jokester decided to turn the light off on me while I was in the cooler. The expression on his face when I walked out with my flashlight in my hand was priceless.

msim

Enlightened
I work in the software industry but EDC a light every day. Some days it doesn't get much use, other days it comes in handy. However last week here in Seattle during the day there was a blackout in part of the downtown area and there were multiple cases of people being stuck in office building elevators in the dark. Sure everyone has smart phones these days with a 'flashlight' but having even a small dedicated light in moments like those would do a lot to keep myself and others comfortable in that situation.

Just one small example of why keeping a light handy is a good idea no matter your profession. :)

KBobAries

Enlightened

coon

Newly Enlightened
IT-Guy here, i work inside computers and server racks and i miss having a keychainlight pretty much every day so i'll order a new one the next few days ;o)

cerbie

Enlightened
NEED? Um...er...look, a puppy! IT, here. It often saves a lot of time to have a flashlight handy, for everything from looking at some ports in shadow, reading text in odd places, to running cables through holes in desks, to looking for tiny dropped screws. I carry 1-2, depending on if I've misplaced my EDC or not (like today, I'm 99% sure where I left it, yesterday, but haven't had time to go check, so I have only my key fob).

Not sure what CBD is, but more handiness than saving the day. What if you're not in an exterior room during said blackout? Yeah, that cell phone light works, but it kills your battery, and provides poor illumination (personally, I want to save my phone's battery for communication, as well). Of course, the time I was stuck in the office during an outage, Murphy was on hand, and that's exactly what happened to me: pitch black, even though over half the floor space is lit well enough by the sun alone.

Most often it's much more mundane uses, though. FI, one grocery store chain around turns their produce section lights off at night (the ones right above the veggies, not the main floor lights), and multiple said stores are on my way to or from work, no matter what way I go. I have more than once inspected my produce via 85-93 CRI LED, rather than walking into and out of the light, over and over again. Or, I might be trying to read something that's little tough in the light of the room, or that's hard to read under glare, or is low contrast dye-sub text (IC packages, silk-screening, device info on plastic cases, etc.). Other cases are merely taking out trash, or coming home late. The street lights and suburban light pollution are bad enough to ruin any adaptation to the dark, but not enough to navigate without adapted eyes, about half the time. Having a flashlight on my person makes the difference, then, not merely having one accessible nearby.

I see it much like a knife (multitools included). Even if you don't use it every day, once you're used to having it on you when you do have a use for it, it doesn't feel right to go without. It's taken a long time to do it, but I've finally gotten my family carrying, at least in their cars, if not on them, decent flashlights, too (Icons remain a favorite; RIP Icon). Carrying several of them is just being a tool geek :).

ncgrass

Enlightened
I work in a hotel and having a small light is very helpful for digging through our storerooms to find supplies. It's a very poorly lit room so anything helps. I also use it when inspecting rooms after they've been cleaned as dust/stains may not be easy to see under room lighting. I certainly don't need a light but it is very helpful and I end up using it a dozen times a day.

My 1xaaa doesn't add bulk and I don't notice it clipped to my pocket so I might as well carry it.