Which of the various 4-AA lights would you recommend?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't kept a close eye on new lights for the past 3 years. I did read about the Nitecore EA4 when it first came out, and I read many of the posts from an EA4 thread here at that time. As I recall, most people liked it but not everyone had a perfect experience. I remember there being another 4-AA light that came out at about that same time, but I don't recall who made it.

But now that I've recently been doing some new investigation into newer lights, I've come across the Thrunite TN4A and TN4A HI. Apparently the TN4A HI has a version of the XP-L that provides higher intensity throw, with slightly lower lumens but significantly increased lux(nearly doubled when compared with regular TN4?). In reviews, I've read that it still has a very floody beam(spill beam I assume) while having longer range throw.

It seemed that maybe the TN4 HI was the way to go, but in 1 review, I read that the way it's single button UI functions may leave something to be desired, and that the tint may not be ideal.

So I wanted to get opinions on whether the TN4A HI is worth the extra $6 or if there are disadvantaged to dedoming it's LED, etc. Do they have neutral tints? But mostly I'll refer to the title of the thread, and ask which of the 4-AA lights of different brands is preferable?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the Nitecore EC45S. It is a four AA light in a two by two setup that makes a nice handful to grip easily. I don't have one, but many here have said nice things about it. I have an EA41 which I really like, especially the two button UI. I think it is a much better UI than the EA4, which I have one of as well.

Enlightened
I have had the TN4A in neutral XM-L2 for almost a year now and quite happy with it. Intense and tight hotspot for good range but still a large spill. The hotspot is a little too strong for close up work.

parametrek

Enlightened
Nitecore EA41, neutral white Thrunite TN4A and Fenix LD41 (XM-L2 version) are on my short list. I haven't personally used any of them but they look good.

I'm quite curious about the new Streamlight Survivor. Only 175 lumens but an insane 405 meters of throw, and a little plug you can put in the lens to eliminate the spill. Fire fighters get all the coolest gear :)

DPRoberts

Newly Enlightened
I have a TN4A (the regular neutral XP-L, not the HI version), and I love it. I prefer a floody light, but if I wanted a 4xAA thrower I would certainly have bought the HI instead.

I strongly considered the Sunwayman D40A, which I have not tried. I know Sunwayman is a well-respected brand, but I have several Thrunites and I'm very happy with them, so I went with the TN4A.

I thought that the one-button interface would be the one thing I didn't like about it, but I've become quite used to it and now I consider it one of the light's best features. I find myself using high (outdoors) and firefly (indoors) the most often, and you get direct access to both - a simple press for high, and just hold the button down for firefly. Plus, turbo is a quick double click away. If you really want low or medium (and I usually don't), just hold the button down to cycle through the modes. I have found it to be very intuitive.

With the two-button models, I think I'd forget which button did which things - which one is mode, which is power? Do I hold down the upper button to get firefly, or the lower button? Neither the single button nor double button setups are rocket science, and I think once you understand how the buttons work they all are probably equally easy to use. If either model seems more intuitive to you, I'd just go with that.

I really like the electronic switch on the TN4A - it's silent. The light loses turbo mode as the batteries start to die, so that serves as a first warning that the batteries are going. The blue light under the switch turns red a little while after that, as a more serious low-battery warning.

It's a great size, and is easy to hold. I find that the battery carrier is easy to use - I personally find it easier to use than my 2x2 light that doesn't have a carrier, as my poor old eyes can see the writing on the carrier more easily than looking into the body of my 2x2 to read the battery direction indicators.

My one complaint about the TN4A is the weight. The TN4A is 218g without batteries, while the Sunwayman weighs in at 168g and the Nitecore EA41 weighs only 151g. I primarily use the TN4A around the house, but if I was going hiking with it or carrying it extensively I would seriously consider a lighter... light. However, in those cases I don't carry a 4xAA anyway, so for me I'll stick with the light I have.

Last edited:

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
I have the older XML2 TN4A in NW and I love it. The spillbeam tint is a bit purplish due to the aggressive AR coating, but the spot is spot-on. From what I've read the XP-L variants are a further improvement. Depending on your budget/preferences, it may be the way to go, as the Thrunites are fairly inexpensive for what you get. The spill is extremely wide with a solid hotspot that isn't the tightest, but throws well. The XP-L HI variant has a longer throw due to the LED. Pros: Great price/performance ratio, decent throw, can run on turbo using alkaleaks in a pinch (albeit not for long), feels solid, easy physical lockout. Cons: Chunkier than other options- even other "soda can" style lights. Preferential items: Beam pattern, One button (I had no issues and enjoy single button UIs, but to each their own).

Unless weight is a concern, I would recommend the TN4A over the Nitecore EA41. Slightly better performance, generally cheaper price, and quality NW options give the TN4A the edge in my opinion.
The Nitecore EC45S mentioned by Timothybil is a nice contender due to its easier to hold form factor and great throw. It apparently doesn't lock out, but doesn't have the high parasitic drain other older Nitecore models seem to have.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems most people are recommending the Thrunite TN4A. I'm kinda glad that's the case because I like the descriptions in reviews I've read that seem to say that it's got a very wide floody beam, while throwing its hot spot really well(the HI version). I used to have a TN30 with the XM-L U2. It had a very floody beam but also threw well.

PartyPete

Enlightened
Personally if you want options and best overall performance I think the Sunwayman wins.

Also, I like the wide beam of the Fenix E41. It's often shunned for its momentary burst and lack of bells and whistles but I've always liked it's beam.

None of them are bad really. All great performers.

Wendee

Enlightened
I have two Thrunite TN4A, both NW. I like them a lot. I was actually going to give one as a gift but I can't bear to give it away, lol. So, it looks like I'll have to buy a third one to give as a gift. ;)

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
it all depends on what kind of beam you are after OP. I have 2 D40A's the CW and NW versions, 2 2015 EA41's the CW and NW versions, The Eagtac GX25A3 in CW and 4 TN4A's-the original CW, the HI and both XML2 NW and the new XP-L NW. Let us get something out of the way first. At mere $49-$55 any TN4A variant is a far better value than any other 3/4xAA light. They are well built, thermally regulated and all 4 have the highest max output above all the other lights I mentioned. The next cheapest will be the 2015 EA41. I really like both CW and NW versions of this more compact 4xAA light. It is also the lowest output at max by a solid 200+ lumens it in no way puts out anywhere near 1020 lumens. That being said both the CW and NW are still very bright, the beam is very well defined and the EA41 has all the bells and whistles like strobe, SOS and beacon and then some.

D40A. Both the CW and NW D40A's are out freaking standing. I consider them to be the best lights Sunwayman has ever made. They are also very high output at max putting 940 lumens OTF for 3 minutes before it falls into timed regulation. It also has a LOT more throw than Sunwayman rates it at I believe the independent tests I have seen put it at 33-35K CD for throw. D40A also has all the bells and whistles like the EA41 does. D40A is an incredibly well done design with above average heat sinking and a striking chrome bezel. D40A also comes with a very nice holster. I prefer the NW D40A they did an amazing job on the neutral tint.

Eagletac GX25A3. Do not underestimate this 3xAA beast. This most compact of the class light cranks 910+ lumens out the front. It also has very good throw for its size. It only has 3 main modes though. But it has an impressive 7 flashing modes. My CW version has good tint it does not have any harsh blues or purples. It is the only light in the class that can run off 14500 cells. Value wise its on the low end it is expensive. It is extremely well made though.

The single button lights like the TN4A and GX25A3 work just fine really. Not nearly as difficult as you think it would be. I like all of these lights and use all of them. All of them rotate through my daily carry among many others. As for the TN4A's they are all phenomenal lights. They are thermally regulated instead of timed which makes them the only lights of the class that do not step down on a timer. The are built extremely well. They come with the best holsters of the class. My two favorites out of the four are the HI and sometimes the XML2 NW and sometimes the XP-L NW. The HI is a 55k CD laser. The hot spot is blindingly bright and very well defined. the beam profile just like the rest of the TN4A's is extremely wide. In the HI's case there is tons of usable bright spill. The rest of the TN4A's have big fat hot spots that are diffuse around the edge. They have an average corona around them that evenly transitions into a sea of bright spill.

As for the Fenix E41 I wouldnt even consider one. Why? Because turbo is press and hold only. Even worse when you press and hold to go into turbo the light shuts off for 2 seconds as the electronics up shift into turbo. This is inexcusable to me. The Fenix P40 does this as does my E35UE. Had I known that turbo was press and hold only and that the light was going to shut off for two seconds before turbo came on I would never have bought one.

The NW XML2 and XP-L TN4A's have totally different neutral tints. The XP-L version is higher output and its tint is much warmer(got a bit of orange/red to it). I see the original XML2 version is no longer available which is really a shame the tint is great.

Lastly should you get any of the TN4A's OP there are only TWO battery choices that will properly power the TN4A's to their advertised output and run time specs and they are the 2550mah Eneloop Pro NiMH AA and the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA(also known as the L91)at an amazing 3000mah and a solid 1.5v right up until they die. The Pros average 1.2v. Good luck

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
A really good summary there CelticCross74. [emoji106]
I have the EA41 CW 2015 (well I used to, my son took it)and the GX. Both great lights, although you do notice the extra power of the EA41. If I didn't own them, I'd get the Thrunite with the HI.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you SG Hall! The big difference between the 2014 and 2015 EA41's are these- all the lower modes on the 2015 version are set at higher output levels than the 2014 version so it seems like "wow it really is that much brighter" BUT the max output is literally the same. Strobe. This is something many Nitecore faithful get hung up on. The 2014 version has a constant Hertz frequency strobe it does not change its fast but that is about it. The 2015 strobe is a variable frequency strobe. It goes fast slow medium fast again. The variable frequency strobe is far more effective against an attacker in the night. A persons eyes can adjust to a constant current strobe after a few seconds. With variable frequency by the time an attackers eyes adjust to one frequency the strobe has switched to another leaving an attacker blinded for even longer.

The Eagtac GX25A3 is actually an astonishing little light. It is driven to within an inch of its life off of 3xAA. 920+ OTF lumens off of just 3 AA's is nothing short of amazing. The lights 7 blinking modes are a PIA to access but the basic strobe is at least accessible through the switch. Value factor as I stated for it is low though. It is more expensive than the Sunwayman and comes with the worst holster of the bunch.

So-the 2015 EA41 really does not have more power at max its lower modes are all just set higher and it has a strobe that is much better. EA41 is truly a great light. It is very unique because it is more jam packed with extra features than all the other lights in the class even beating out the outstanding D40A. EA41 I feel is an excellent size for year round EDC. It is almost as compact as the Eagletac.

If you want to see a boost in performance out of the EA41 or any of the other lights mentioned buy a big bulk box of Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's-also known as L91's. I totally understand the money saving aspect of Eneloops I must have 36 pros and a dozen of the older XX cells. But the capacity and higher voltage feed of the L91's cannot be beat. They just last a good bit longer than even the Pros and crank higher voltage right up till they die. I suggest checking out the Energizer PDF specs on the L91 it is an astonishingly good battery. Just ran out of my bulk box of 20 and ordered 60 more tonight.

The TN HI. The HI TN4A as much as I am amazed by it is to much of a laser for me to EDC. It is bright as hell it may actually be the highest output model in the whole TN4A line. But damn its hot spot is just under half as large as the non HI models and it is searingly bright. You get kind of tunnel vision using it anywhere within 20 feet. It does 100% have a massive diameter profile with bright very useful spill but the hot spot is so damn concentrated most people just lock their vision onto the hot spot. Now if your EDC needs require really needing to just light something up past 50 feet like daylight the HI is it.

My CW variant is from the original batch of the light. There is no serial number or lanyard hole. The battery carrier is built with tolerances to tight. The beam out of it has a now well known "boiling" hot spot and corona. The hot spot and corona tint shift yellows and greens in such a way that the hot spot and corona look to be boiling. I got used to it and think its unique. Thrunite reads these forums and made the fixes. Now if you buy a CW TN4A there is a serial number and lanyard connection point. The tint shifting has been taken care of and the battery carrier tolerances are greater now.

Last edited:

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
You definitely should do some reviews! Great info, thanks.

I must confess I didn't know that the GX had Blinky modes at all! I also find it curious that it can take 14500s but there is no increase in output or run times. You are right, it certainly can run with the 4AA lights for output and I like the tailswitch. Interesting re the L91s but I will probably not shoo the moths off my wallet with eneloops spilling out of my front door. :)

Recently I picked up an EA4 for nothing and sent it to Nitecore for repair (battery leakage) so I could give it to my daughter. It came back with the XML2 emitter from the factory and the beam is identical to the EA41 now but with the old UI.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks again SG Hall! Cannot do reviews I am extremely color blind. I would have to have someone with me that is not color blind in order for any pics to not come out messed up looking. Yes the GX25A3 has a total of 7 blinky modes. It is odd that it can take 14500's yet has regulation so good that there is no output increase. Did more research and you wind up with the same run times that NiMH's give the light. L91's are the longest lasting cell you can put into it. The power feed is amazingly even no matter what output mode you are in.

The EA4-I never got one because they were notorious for their rubber switches ballooning up from either the light running hot for long periods of time and or the light gets left in a car on a hot day. NC did come out with a replacement rubber switch cover its made of a thicker higher quality rubber. You had an XM-L version eh? An original run for sure! That is awesome they stuck an XML2 in it. That also means they had to change pretty much close to if not all the electronics. I take it you had alkalines that leaked out into the light? Alkaline screws up everything should it leak out onto contacts etc. I estimate they changed 65% of the electronics. Fact it still has the old UI is really cool. They SHOULD have changed the rubber switch cover to the replacement design...

Eneloops spilling out your door eh? Well at least you know youve got the best NiMHs on the market. The white ones can be recharged so many times a generation will be born before they need to be replaced. At least right off the charger Loops rock 1.5v for a bit before they settle at 1.2v

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Colour blind? I guess you'll never be a tiny snob then. :D

The leak was non alkaline cells so it made a mess. I bought it like that as it was cheap on eBay, back when I used to buy like that. The sender gave a full refund when they realised, so it was an honest mistake. Nitecore actually fixed it for free which is amazing service considering the damage voids all warranties. They did stick with the rubber switch, which is fine 6 months later. I haven't lost a lot if it fails I guess. :)

thejrod

Newly Enlightened
I have the TN4A Hi. It's a thrower for sure. Intense hot spot. it's a great light, just get the version that makes sense for you: the Hi is the thrower, the regular XPL version is more floody. They're also cheap enough that you may consider getting both.