Efficient, 'low' lumen, long runtime, single mode p60?

defusion

Enlightened
The title probably makes it clear, but I'm looking for a p60 drop-in for use in an emergency flashlight (g2 body).
It'll mostly live in the car glovebox to provide light when necessary. I'd like as long a runtime as possible while still providing a useful amount of light from 2x cr123 primaries.

I already have plenty lights around the house, so this is specifically for when I dont have access to my stockpile of other lights and batteries.

Some criteria:
- Reliable and simple (preferably no advanced circuitry that may fail, single mode would be sufficient, but efficient mode switching is also fine)
- Efficient/long runtime (preferably 12+ hours of useful light on primaries). Also preferably warm to neutral light.
-> Also means i dont need extreme output, but should be enough to provide light in and around a car. Anything over 100 lumens is probably not necessary, but if runtime criteria is met, i dont mind a bit more power.
- Preferably affordable
-> I already found the malkoff m61ll, but that is a bit over budget. Might as well get another light specifically for this purpose for that amount.

Currently I have the p60l in it, which is decent, but I'd like to upgrade it with a more efficient led. reliability and brightness wise it's already where I'd want it to be. Tint could be better, but mostly it's an old relatively inefficient led.
If i cant find anything affordable though, I might just replace the light altogether or just thrown in a few more batteries and call it a day.

Is there anything out there you can think of?

scout24

Flashaholic
I hate to say cry once buy once, but Malkoff is probably where you want to be... There are or have been several LLL Malkoff's to choose from over the years as well. See the Illum website, they are active here and carry some special run Malkoff stuff. Maybe try getting ahold of Nailbender and seeing if he'll build you what you're looking for. Either are solid choices.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Absolute best option would be a Malkoff, I'd say, but you say that is "a bit over budget" :(

There are certainly no lack of cheaper options, but the only thing I might mention, is that if this is truly an "emergency" light ... an emergency can be a real bad time to have something fail

I use an M60LL for this purpose, in a SF C3 host. Given its voltage range, and a selection of spacers, this provides a lot of flexibility in battery type and output.

An MD3 with a high/low ring might actually be an even better host for this, if you want a dual-level option ....

Last edited:
I realize the M61LL is not super cheap but I can't think of anything that would be better. Probably the M61WLL or M61NLL if you can find them would be ideal. If you want bombproof reliability and great runtime it's the best option I know of.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
X however many Malkoff LL drop ins. It'll pay for itself over time. WLL will look like your light with a bulb with batteries that have been in the light a while, but the brighness of your P60L. 10 hours regulated with several hours of dimming.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just posted in the junkie thread about the Malkoff M61LLL 219. There is still one left and a few M61LL 219s on Illumns site. My advice is grab one while they are still available. A little pricey but all in all not that bad especially if you already have the host and well worth the money IMO.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which begs the question - what's your budget for this drop-in?

And yes, you could buy a new dedicated light for what a Malkoff M61LL drop-in costs, but you'll be hard-pressed to find another light as absurdly reliable and dependable as a Surefire G2 with a Malkoff M61LL drop-in.

remington79

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Malkhoff M61NL for my Surefire Z2. 160 lumens for 5 hours before taper in neutral white is nice. He has them for sale for $44.99. I had put it in my cart at 2 am and went to bed. I checked my email around 11am and he sent an email. Since I had left it and didn't order I had a link that gave me 10% off. That was a surprise to me. I ended up getting the bulb for $40 and change plus shipping.
The bulb lights up a wider area than the P60L that's in my aproimate 2009 era G2Z. My P60L has a purplish tint.

solloron1

Newly Enlightened
I have been thinking about the LLL for a long time, you guys just made me pull the trigger, my poor wallet :broke:

solloron1

Newly Enlightened
You won't regret it! :)

Oh I know I won't, my malkoff collection keeps growing and growing. My favorite drop in is my trusty m60LL, it's one of the lights where I can look past the bluish tint. I wish I bought more of those.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I know I won't, my malkoff collection keeps growing and growing. My favorite drop in is my trusty m60LL, it's one of the lights where I can look past the bluish tint. I wish I bought more of those.

You will probably wish you you had more of the LLL as well. Hopefully Illumn does another run of the 219s. I am interested in the M31LL and maybe a couple more M61LLL myself.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easy answer. Just like everyone else. Malkoff...call it done for ever!

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Just for a different old school option,,, you can buy four Xenon (180lm) drop-ins for about $20
..they'll take 6V

s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180-Lumens-6V-Xenon-Bulb-module-for-SureFire-6P-G2-C2-M2-Z2-P60-P61-Flashlight-

defusion

Enlightened
I like incans, but this definitely wont make the runtime requirement ;)

Anyway, almost ordered the LL malkoff, but apparently shipping it to Europe is more expensive than the dropin itself. At least from the official store.
I have found some sellers on ebay selling malkoff stuff and shipping for around $5, which is much more reasonable. No LL yet, but I might get lucky someday.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Perhaps you can email malkoff devices and explain your situation.

Gene ships USPS priority. They have certain prices on the boxes and he uses pretty much the same box for most orders.
Rates are calculated by space these days and up to a certain weight.

So if you order just a drop in you get one of his typical boxes full of bubble wrap. Shipping here in the US that's all good as it's same rate coast to coast.

In your case he may be able to use a much smaller box, which would cost a lot less to ship.
The boxes I use cost less to ship than Gene's do coast to coast and it cost me $34 to send one to the EU last year. The rate has gone up since then. Next size up at my local post office was $47.

So yeah, email Gene. Maybe he has a solution.

FDP

Newly Enlightened
Honestly, there is nothing even close to a Malkoff LL variant for what you are looking for.