what's a TACTICAL flashlight??

mcfarlie6996

Newly Enlightened
The term is completely open to interpretation. To some it means a tail-switch, to others it means having instant access to Strobe, to a few it means having a strike bezel. Pretty much what ever you feel makes it 'tactical' is its definition.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Around here, the commonly accepted definition of 'tactical' is a light used in a military/police/personal defense situation to illuminate/stun/disorient/disable an opponent. It usually involves some combination of bright light and/or strobe, usually with the ability to operate the light while also operating a firearm of some sort.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
FULLY TACTICAL BRO

ltO0NhO.jpg

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
Most lights I see advertised as 'tactical' usually mean they have a strobe, tail switch and crenellated bezel and a bump in price. I work in law enforcement and am yet to see someone use a strobe or crenellated bezel against another person.

From my point of view strobe is not suitable to use in a critical incident because it can affect others besides the suspect and has no guarantee of having any effect. I think crenellated bezels are a waste of time when other more effective options are available that are less likely to get you in trouble for using non-issued equipment as a weapon.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work in law enforcement and am yet to see someone use a strobe or crenellated bezel against another person...

I think crenellated bezels are a waste of time when other more effective options are available that are less likely to get you in trouble for using non-issued equipment as a weapon.

As always, your perspective as an LEO is welcome and appreciated. I'm just a regular dude who likes flashlights, but being cognizant of what you've said, I don't carry flashlights with strobe functions, crenelated bezels, or extended battery tubes that might resemble a baton. I figure there's no need for trouble and certainly no need to explain my chosen flashlight to a street cop.

I do have a 3D cell Maglite, but it's just for fun in the neighborhood.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work with LEOs and sell a few lights here and there and I can tell you 99.3% of the time the strobe function is only used in HQ messing with each other.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a true "tactical" light should fit a specific use... Generally the more complicated and jam packed with featues the less "tactical" it seems to me.

But as others have said, tactical is mainly a marketing thing. My Malkoff Hound Dog with a momentary tailcap is very "tactical" in my book but not advertised as such.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
As always, your perspective as an LEO is welcome and appreciated. I'm just a regular dude who likes flashlights, but being cognizant of what you've said, I don't carry flashlights with strobe functions, crenelated bezels, or extended battery tubes that might resemble a baton. I figure there's no need for trouble and certainly no need to explain my chosen flashlight to a street cop.

I do have a 3D cell Maglite, but it's just for fun in the neighborhood.

Obviously there are some differences with laws but I think that's a sensible option to take. There are other devices you can legally own in the US that are far more effective for self defence and a flashlight with a crenellated bezel could technically be illegal in my part of Australia.

People that are likely to be involved in confrontations due to their field of work will usually have access to better tools than a strobing flashlight with a crenellated bezel too.

I work with LEOs and sell a few lights here and there and I can tell you 99.3% of the time the strobe function is only used in HQ messing with each other.

Strobe can actually be useful for signalling traffic, particularly with a wand or diffuser.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Tactical" is a term that have been diluted so much by various companies that the term doesn't bear any relevance anymore.

For me, the tactical flashlight should at least be:
* Quick access to high / low output - like the malkoff md2 with the hi/lo bezel or Elzetta with the hi/lo tailcap

* Extremely durable - reliability is a must. Also should be able to endure the recoil if it's mounted to a weapon.

* Simple - no multi click modes going from low/med/hi/sos/strobe

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
What makes one light tactical and not another??

The ability to use the flashlight primarily with a hand gun. The light provides a high lumen output with the press of a rear tail button. The light goes out when the tail button is released. The light does not lock in the on position unless there is a separate adjustment specifically for that purpose. This momentary on/off allows the user to illuminate an armed target instantly but disappear quickly into the dark to re-position for advantage. In addition, the one button push and release requires only gross motor skills so when you are full of adrenaline the light is still easy to operate. Further, if the user is struck with a bullet and drops the light the light will go out. This ensures that the users position is not given away to the armed target.