Blessed by CPF

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been a member since October 2014, so it's kind of fitting that I'd be moved to write this post tonight.

I just want to thank all the members, administrators and Greta for CPF. It has been an integral part of my life, funny as that may sound, since I joined. I really do remember sitting in front of the computer refreshing the boards to read the new posts, as mentioned in the 'you know you're a flashaholic' thread. My wife knows a number of members not only by user name, but first name, too, from me sharing with her about the conversations and kinships I discovered here.

I moved from Maglites to Fenix to Malkoff customs to high CRI to sub-lumen to HDS and back to Maglite incandescents and....y'all know how it goes.

More recently my limited hobby time has been shifting away from lights. After drifting away (I think I may have gone almost a month once without logging in...) I started getting more active on CPF again to get a feel for the market as I was planning to sell off much of my stored lights to help fund other hobbies as well as refocus/restructure my light hobby and collection.

Well, guess what? It's almost like it's 2014 again! I'm not buying like crazy or anything, but I'm enjoying our community here, the hobby and my lights more than I ever have before, even when I was 'eating breathing living' lights!

I would imagine I'm not alone in this appreciation of CPF, meaning the people, and I feel like this post falls short of what I'm trying to express, but it's better than not posting, I think.

Thank you, everyone who makes CPF what it is!

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing. This is an awesome place to enjoy and connect with fellow flashlight enthusiasts. I am greatful for this place as well.:poke:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thanks for the sentiments & info; I personally had a similar experience with drifting away to do other things for a while, only to get back & jump right into the middle again - so I know something of what you're talking about. :)

... and I would say 'Thanks to the members here', who also make this place what it is. :thumbsup:

BTW I have moved your thread to /The Cafe/, where on occasion we get threads similar to this; best regards, :wave:

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been fascinated ny flashlights since i was a kid. It was only when i discovered this place, that I realised that i was not alone.
Thanks to the members and moderators this seems to be a safe place to talk out loud without being derided.
Not sure about FB and the other forums, they seem a bit intense. I've met a few jolly people on here and enjoy the weird camaraderie of aquaintances that only have one common interest, but who discover other similarities.
P

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I answered an ad on craigslist 3 years ago for Fenix bike lights, when I was already deep into lights here. The owner had no idea what he purchased, and when he researched the lights, he found a whole subculture for lights existed. When I started rambling about lux,lumens, flood vs throw, and tint, he looked at me and said, "you're one of them aren't you?"

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hey Grijon………
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. If I recall correct it was you who convinced me I did not need a soldering tool, digital multimeter or other special tools to install an M61 in a 6P.

My interest in flashlights aint what it was a while ago but this place is still a daily habit due to all the normal people here. Eveywhere else I go there aint nothin' but crazy people.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
bykfixer, you are one of those people my wife knows by name :)
We go so far back I don't remember if that was me or not, ha ha.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for every one who has posted here already; y'all definitely get what I'm trying to say :)

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Grijon, what you say mirrors my own path in many ways. When I joined, I was able to read EVERY new post on the ENTIRE forum, EVERY single day. Well.... those days are long gone, let me tell you! Back then, a 60-lumen Surefire 6P that drained two insanely-expensive CR123 cells in under an hour was an incredible piece of lighting technology, and LEDs were producing, if you were lucky, about 3 lumens. But no matter the technology, or the vendor, I could come to CPF and find out all kinds of information and opinions, and I was able, like you, to build relationships with people that have outlasted several jobs and several homes. The online friendships have led to meeting folks in the physical world, and that has led to attending multiple local group CPF events and even several SHOT Shows, where I have been able to meet CPFers from around the country and around the world.

Thank you to DavidW for starting this community, to Greta for taking over when DavidW released the reins, to all the moderators over the years, and to all the wonderful CPFers who have helped make this such a vital, wonderful place for me to spend my time, learn about lights, batteries, and all kinds of other things, and (the only bad part) vastly increase the number of items I simply HAVE to purchase.

It's been a long journey, and I'm glad it's continuing.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF is a classy place, even if we're an odd bunch. I've tried to kindle an interest in other forums but they don't compare favorably. I, too, have drifted into other hobbies, mostly knives, but this is still the place where I want to hang out.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I first arrived I thought "flashlight forum? really?" And none of the discussions were about how awesome zoomies are, so I lurked a while. Then one day my first fixed "good" light arrived. A G2x Pro. Suddenly my thoughts about "Coasts" turned to "aint that where the ocean is?"……
To that point I had never noticed the donut hole from a light bulb'd flashlight, nor any artifacts. Growing up with wac-a-palm flashlights the thought was turn on switch, out comes light, we're good. I bought a few lights based on input from folks here yet I have never been a tint snob or white wall hunter. That's all good if you are in my view, just not for me.

I still use a zoomie on occasion but thanks to CPF I have been able to acquire a bunch of lighting tools that should outlive my children and then some. I'd probably still be marveling at the output of a Coast zoomie if not for CPF. And probably still using $3 headlamps at work too.

My wife and kids have benefitted too a number of times due to making sure my home and theirs are outfitted with at least 2 dependable flashlights in every room. Mrs. Fixer has been really cool about my hobby and on a number of occasions has used knowledge I learned here and shared with a bunch of people in her life.

But I think the biggest blessing to me is normal interaction with normal people while the rest of the world wide web hollers at each other these days. I don't always geek out on trends or technology, but it is refreshing to relate to much of what folks are excited about here. This place is an oasis with a well stocked library.

ven

Flashaholic
Great thread! There are not many places you can sit with like minded friends around the world. CPF is one of the best places for sure, a special place for me and always will be. Made some good friends, some i may never meet, but like i have known them all my life.

Big thanks to greta, the mods for looking after us all , and of course the members for making CPF special..............and expensive! :p
lovecpf

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only been here a short time, but yes the camaraderie of this particular forum is real!!
I few years back I travelled to Arizona for work and after posting that i was going there, lo and behold, a meetup was arranged! The turn out was amazing for such short notice even with the rains we had.....and yes I did geek out a bit when @Greta showed up in person!!