Jetbeam        
Page 64 of 70 FirstFirst ... 14545758596061626364656667686970 LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,920 of 2071

Thread: Coronavirus - II

Default Re: Coronavirus - II

are local news caster name is corona . talking about being conffused
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    Our local news caster name is Corona. Talking about being confused.
    It was a fairly popular name once. Doubt anyone will be naming their newborn daughters "Corona" for quite a long time.

In other news, for one-stop shopping; Home Depot has Paper towels, hand-sanitizer (and at better prices than any place else), anti-bacterial wipes, alcohol-based sprays for disinfecting surfaces that way too, and masks (mainly the gaiter variety). Masks are decent. You can get better ones on Etsy. Ironically you can get worst ones on there too. At least H.D. is open and for many, a short drive away.

For anyone thinking I'm giving H.D. free publicity. Nope! Still a scumbag company with plenty of disgusting official political stances. But when you need basic items during a deadly planetary (I'm not calling it "global," that's just idiotic) pandemic, you get what you need from those who have it.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Silver Moderator

Hello Poppy and PhotonWrangler,

They claim that their unit doesn't produce ozone.

Their unit produces H2O2, O2-, and OH- as ions. It looks like the UVC is used to purify the moisture in the air prior to it being ionized.

If your room has an air change every 5 minutes, this unit probably won't help much. If you shut up the room and don't change the air often, this unit seems to have some possibilities.

A consideration... If it is working on the space station, is it possible that it could also work on earth?

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Thank you for clarifying that, Tom. This makes much more sense.

I'm a little unclear on how long the air has to be exposed to the UVC lamp to have a good germicidal effect, however I'm guess it's longer than the second or two that it takes to whiiz past the lamp, so it would probably need to get recirculated pretty often. I'm guessing the HVAC indiustry has some cfm-vs-UVC energy density calculations for this.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    Hello Poppy and PhotonWrangler,

They claim that their unit doesn't produce ozone.

Their unit produces H2O2, O2-, and OH- as ions. It looks like the UVC is used to purify the moisture in the air prior to it being ionized.

If your room has an air change every 5 minutes, this unit probably won't help much. If you shut up the room and don't change the air often, this unit seems to have some possibilities.

A consideration... If it is working on the space station, is it possible that it could also work on earth?

Tom
    Vaporized H2O2 strikes me as tough to pull off and dangerous due to reactivity of the chemical. Like ozone, if you get the concentration high enough to be effective it's a problem. Much more than ozone, it's not just an irritant but an immediate threat to life.

The whole thing strikes me as very questionable in effectiveness and the reality of pulling if off successfully.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapori...rogen_peroxide

O2- ions in vapor form are legit. Very wordy alert for the article below.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4882552/

My guess is that they are mainly generating O2- with trace amounts of H2O2 and OH-. So basically a non-ozone ozone type machine. If they made more than trace amount of H2O2... bad juju. Allowable limits for that are 1ppm.

Still suffers from low CFM and filtering inefficiency.
    Last edited by turbodog; 07-13-2020 at 08:26 PM.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Hi Tom,

I run my HVAC pretty much 24/7 with a HEPA filter in it and change the filter out every 3 weeks. That change out is probably more often than necessary, but I am happy to see that it captured so much dust and dirt.

For years, we had a couple portable tower electro-static filters in the house. They collected so little that we only cleaned them once or twice a year, until I threw them out.

We use "Space Station Technology" to clean our air, may be similar to marketing for those $79 Navy Seal Zoom Flashlights.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Exclamation Re: Coronavirus - II

And now for something completely different (but still on topic)....

How do you enforce social distancing at the pub?
    Install an electric fence around it!

"Get back, ye drunken heathens!"

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-53389977
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Travelers from each of the following states must quarantine for fourteen days, and complete a form stating where they will quarantine upon entry to the state of New York, with contact information. The airlines will assist in disseminating the forms in-flight. Travelers who leave the airport without completing the form will be subject to a $2,000 fine and may be brought to a hearing and ordered to complete mandatory quarantine. Airlines have all pledged to help make passengers aware of the new requirement using pre-flight emails, pre-flight announcements, in-flight announcements and other methods. Additionally, travelers coming to New York from designated states through other means of transport, including trains and cars, must fill out the DOHtraveler form online.

• Alabama
    • Arkansas
    • Arizona
    • California
    • Florida
    • Georgia
    • Iowa
    • Idaho
    • Kansas
    • Louisiana
    • Minnesota
    • Mississippi
    • North Carolina
    • New Mexico
    • Nevada
    • Ohio
    • Oklahoma
    • South Carolina
    • Tennessee
    • Texas
    • Utah
    • Wisconsin

I know that NJ also has a list, probably the same as NY's. EDIT: I just checked, NJ has the same list of 22 states. [end edit]

NY, NJ, and Connecticut, have been working together as a team.
    The concern is that infections will now come from other states.
    Last edited by Poppy; 07-14-2020 at 04:09 PM.

my freinds are still fighting this trust me cpfers you dont want this mess. but im hopeing they pass this i love them both. it has to suck to be so sick and to know ya spouse is just as sick
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Poppy, the phrase they're looking for is "voluntary compliance..." Nobody is quarantining, there are more NY and NJ plates in my little town on any given weekday than locals, and the weekends are worse yet. Masks and social distancing are not enforced, and nowhere near as prevalent as they should be. I hate leaving my house anymore.

Raggie- are your friends hospitalized? Are they together if they are?
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Poppy, the phrase they're looking for is "voluntary compliance..." Nobody is quarantining, there are more NY and NJ plates in my little town on any given weekday than locals, and the weekends are worse yet. Masks and social distancing are not enforced, and nowhere near as prevalent as they should be. I hate leaving my house anymore.

there both like me. we are not sure if dieing is worse then going to hospital

Masks and social distancing are not enforced

Enforcement is incumbent upon the local police. Certainly, not a pleasant position to be put in, but it is what it is.

When drinking was legal at 18 years old, but not until 21 years old in NJ, we went to clubs in NY. There was a little town Tuxedo, NY that had a reputation for ticketing NJ tags if they went over the 25 MPH speed limit. The word got out, and when the speed limit dropped from 50 mph to 25mph, drivers, hit the brakes, HARD, because there would often be an officer within 50 feet of the new limit sign.

Not everyone in NY, or NJ are under quarantine.

However, I fully agree with you. It is for the most part a voluntary quarantine.
    I don't know if there are significant fines imposed upon those caught breaking the quarantine. I've not seen any mention of that.

It's been said that the government only has as much control as the populace allows them to have.

I believe that the Governors know that and tip-toe through this.

I've been here for many years, and feel like I can view you all as friends. So, if I may, let me address you as friend.

Friends,

You'll notice at many times those posting in this thread have attached the admonition to "stay safe" . Well, that admonition does not apply only to the covid-19 concerns. Please don't let the pandemic concerns distract you from your other concerns.

https://www.emergencyemail.org/newse...p?a=22513&z=58

Stay safe.

Yes, agreed.

This thing is happening in waves.

Infection, ~2 weeks later confirmed sick, later on... maybe hospitalized, later on... recover or die

Eventually we will have wave(s) of related deaths due to lack of medical care.

It's both fascinating and terrible to live through this event.

Makes me mad/disappointed/frustrated that the people who carelessly spread this thing will choke out healthcare availability for everyone else. I think 'tragedy of the commons' applies...

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    This is a really good example of what I'm dealing with. This guy was a former gubernatorial (big word of the day!) candidate. His post is currently trending on FB and was featured on the front page of the largest newspaper in the state. There's a poll on tv's website... 2/3 of respondents agree with him.
    Just read that FB post, and must say I can't find any (major) flaws in his logic. That is: not someone spreading fake news, twisting facts, calling things a hoax, or a dumb idiot. Just that a lot of restrictions are based on "better safe than sorry", just plain arbitrary, ignore side-effects that also do a lot of damage, or that he perceives (some) restrictions as a form of government repression that government in a -supposedly- free country shouldn't be doing. For these reasons I'm one of those 2/3 that tend to agree with him. When even experts are largely feeling around in the dark, then translating their findings into policy and decide what restrictions to put in place, what is "not enough", "just right", or "too much", what numbers to pick, is essentially a matter of opinion. And if so, then an informed public can decide for themselves.

If you go to a supermarket without a mask on, you're not putting other people's health at risk. You may be increasing risk to those people who have chosen to go to that supermarket as well (vs. order online), who may have chosen not to wear a mask themselves (vs. wear one even if other people don't), and often still enter that supermarket (at a time of their choosing) even after they see you in there wearing no mask (vs. leave when they arrive at supermarket & think it's too crowded). Nobody needs to eat in a restaurant - if one thinks that's too risky, simply don't eat out. Cook at home, or order takeaway.

That's a lot of opportunities to 'opt out' or otherwise reduce risk, for those that wish to reduce risk to themselves, their loved ones, or the general public. Very different from eg. a drunk driver who risks random strangers' lifes in a way that leaves them without any say in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    They don't get it, they never will. It's all about layers of protection in areas where infection is a real possibility. (..) Same thing with this virus. Masks, social distancing, going out only when necessary, proper and frequent hand-washing, using hand-sanitizer, using gloves.... All layers. Ironically, strictly adhered to, a person doesn't become infected. Will never know if they came close, and avoided inflection due to one of those layers. But good luck convincing people with the same mentality as those 30-somethings of that concept of layers.
    Yes some people don't get it. But many people get it just fine. Yes all those layers contribute to the same thing - reduce the spread of a virus. But life = taking risks. Sometimes this includes risk(s) that affect others beside yourself. Meaning there IS no such thing as a 0 risk life. Nor should there be - some risks are exactly the things that make life worth living. That there exists some risk X to group Y, does not automatically mean it's okay to impose arbitrary restriction(s) on group Z. Risks should be weighed, restrictions imposed only when clearly, absolutely necessary, and lifted / adjusted as soon as new information changes our understanding of those risks. When facts aren't clear cut but fuzzy, and the public has every chance to inform themselves, then your opinion on what restriction(s) are appropriate, is as good as mine.

I think very few people had a problem with quickly going into a lockdown when the virus first hit & most aspects of it where unknown. Some big obstruction crosses your path, you hit the brakes. The frequent anti-government-restrictions protests we're seeing lately, imho means that countries' governments are struggling (or failing) that part of "lift / adjust restrictions as new understanding of the situation allows". Don't play that "better safe than sorry" tune... Something big crossed our path, and we hit the brakes. But now time has passed, and we have examined the thing. There is no 0 risk & never will be. Instead SHOW why even now, restriction X is absolutely necessary, why you picked number Y as maximum # of people that can meet in one building, etc. Can't do that? Then lift that restriction or adjust that number.

As an example: on a press conference, a journalist asked our prime minister how our government arrived at that "1.5m apart" number. And why even outdoors. Prime minister responded with something like "evidence shows it's absolutely clear we need to keep distancing between people, therefore it's essential we stick to that 1.5m rule". NO POINTERS WHATSOEVER as to which evidence would have one conclude it must be 1.5m. And not 2m. Or 83 cm.

It's exactly that kind of thing that makes people lose trust in their government. And thus proceed to ignore it. Yes there is plenty of research out there. And yes obviously two people 1 km. apart are less likely to infect each other than same people 30 cm apart. But why 1.5m? So again: SHOW HOW you arrived at that number. And why it should be the same for indoors & outdoors. While still allowing 4 people to travel in the same car.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroTechie View Post
    I don't want to sound dismissive... but if you are in the Netherlands there's world of difference between your country and the US. You all work together much better than US citizens.

The pandemic asked scientists to do something they don't normally do... move quickly. Yes, mistakes were made. Some bad tests made it onto the market which gave bad results. This is a new virus. Tests did not exist for it. There's all sort of logistical problems around that.

Feedback from changing restrictions is not immediate. You have approximately a 2 week lag between new behavior and positive tests starting (or not) to appear. That makes it tricky to adjust public policy in a fine-grained manner.

If you don't mask up at the grocery store you ARE putting other people at risk unless they are wearing a full body PPE, sealed face shield, and n100 respirator. There are enough unmasked shopping that you literally can't go when all as masked. In addition, curbside is swamped and rarely an option (in the city) and practically never an option in the country.

We are not in phase 2 of this thing... we are not done with phase 1 yet. Keep your head down.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Masks and social distancing are not enforced

Enforcement is incumbent upon the local police. Certainly, not a pleasant position to be put in, but it is what it is.

When drinking was legal at 18 years old, but not until 21 years old in NJ, we went to clubs in NY. There was a little town Tuxedo, NY that had a reputation for ticketing NJ tags if they went over the 25 MPH speed limit. The word got out, and when the speed limit dropped from 50 mph to 25mph, drivers, hit the brakes, HARD, because there would often be an officer within 50 feet of the new limit sign.

Not everyone in NY, or NJ are under quarantine.

However, I fully agree with you. It is for the most part a voluntary quarantine.
    I don't know if there are significant fines imposed upon those caught breaking the quarantine. I've not seen any mention of that.

It's been said that the government only has as much control as the populace allows them to have.

I believe that the Governors know that and tip-toe through this.
    Hence "voluntary compliance." Seatbelts are the law here, but one can't be stopped just for that. Texting and driving, same thing. Things to protect you, things to protect others. I hate wearing a mask, but I love my Wife more than I hate the mask, and I know if I bring the virus home that with her asthma, it wouldn't be pretty. Serious question: Does anyone have U.S. "regular flu" mortality numbers for this year?
    Last edited by scout24; 07-15-2020 at 05:44 AM.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Flashaholic*

Default Coronavirus - II

April 4th was the last week of full reporting so not yet unless the newest report had just come out. Even on the CDC it seems they are waiting for numbers to come in
    Last edited by bigburly912; 07-15-2020 at 05:56 AM.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

No. But I wonder what this will do to flu transmission numbers, long term.

Early on in NYC, back when the virus first hit here, NYPD was enforcing mandatory new mask rules. They stopped doing that after a few weeks. Turns out that about 10 Latinos were arrested and later fined. 1 White male was as well. 34 Black men were too. Local news media started shouting "Racism!"

However, only one of the local sources actually bothered asking those arrested; why they didn't mask-up. A few played the macho card and said it was all a hoax. But ironically, most said that a Black man walking around the streets of NYC with a mask covering his face, was a good way to get shot by the NYPD. Many expressed surprise at getting arrested for not wearing a mask.

After the shouts of racism started up, NYPD stopped enforcing new mask rules. And they've never enforced social distancing. A Black co-worker expressed similar concerns. Simple solution.... wear medical grade surgical masks. He was very fearful of wearing any mask that hid his face while out in public. For him, that type of mask was the best solution. You see a man of any race or ethnicity wearing a medical grade surgical mask over their face, you don't assume he's an armed robber. No one does.

Quote Originally Posted by Empath View Post
    I've been here for many years, and feel like I can view you all as friends. So, if I may, let me address you as friend.

Friends,

You'll notice at many times those posting in this thread have attached the admonition to "stay safe" . Well, that admonition does not apply only to the covid-19 concerns. Please don't let the pandemic concerns distract you from your other concerns.

Stay safe.

Thank you, Empath.
    That needed to be said.
    I've put off doctors visits myself since March.
    Thankfully nothing that absolutely couldn't be put off for that long.
    It is very unfortunate to see individuals putting off serious visits due to Covid-19.

Quote Originally Posted by Empath View Post

Friends,

Stay safe.
    we love you freind

Quote Originally Posted by RetroTechie View Post
    Yes some people don't get it. But many people get it just fine. Yes all those layers contribute to the same thing - reduce the spread of a virus. But life = taking risks. Sometimes this includes risk(s) that affect others beside yourself. Meaning there IS no such thing as a 0 risk life. Nor should there be....
    Well, I do agree with you on that last part. Here's the thing.... an event such as this planetary pandemic doesn't bring out the Best in some, or the Worst in others. It brings out the Real in everybody. That hidden part deep down inside that shows what each and every person is really like. For some of us, we keep that part right on the surface on a daily basis. Both online, and off. Truth is, I never said masks will protect someone 100% and bring the risk down to absolute zero. I have said that wearing a mask, along with other practices, in heavily infected areas can slow the spread of the virus. And if you slow the spread, you don't need to be a genius to figure out that THAT means the virus will burn itself out faster, over time. Allowing everyone to return to normalcy, much more quickly.

Taking risks is perfectly fine. But you should have a mercenary's mentality when doing so. Does the reward make the risks about to be taken, worth it? If the answer is "No." Then you don't take the job. You don't take the risks. I'm sorry, but yes; it is that simple. You weigh the rewards vs. the risks and make your decision based on which outweighs the other.

My friends and I used to hang out at a rough part of town when we were younger. Inside a certain establishment that made square, tiny burgers. Oh, the things that went on there. Among the staff, the patrons.... What can you say about a place where (other than you and your friends) literally the most respectable individuals in there are a large "Boss" and his hard-"working girls." They'd come in quietly, order their food, sit and eat. Not bother anyone. I wish some of the other patrons were half as decent as they are. After a few months of frequenting the place, it dawned on me that this is stupid! Plenty of risk involved, crappy rewards. So that was the end of going there.

I'm not putting myself at risk for nothing. Quite frankly, if your risks are going to directly and negatively effect other people; hey here's a thought. Maybe think of them first, and don't do it. Someone wants to put their own life in danger, and they're an adult? Cool, you do you. Problem is, with this pandemic, it's not just YOU in danger.

Remember those Spring-breakers early on when the virus hit America? All of them being interviewed. Treating the virus like a joke. They got infected because they didn't care. Took risks to get a reward of being able to party, get high, get some.... all the usual stupid things Spring-breakers do every year. Since it was early during the infection, some of them slipped through the cracks and made it home before they realized just how bad this thing truly is. Infected their own family members. Parents, siblings, grand-parents.

"Sorry you died several years earlier than you were supposed to, Grand-ma. But at least Ashley got to have a good time while partying and getting groped by anonymous dudes."
    Last edited by Monocrom; 07-15-2020 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Clarification.

have a nice day everyone
    Last edited by raggie33; 07-15-2020 at 01:17 PM. Reason: did not want to offend

Three more places are now "faceless" Walmart and Sam's Club, Krogers, and Best Buy.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

No. But I wonder what this will do to flu transmission numbers, long term.
    Short term: it will 'take' those people that otherwise would have been taken by other flu strains, complications from respiratory disease, diabetes, or other COVID-19 risk factor. Long term: it will add itself to the yearly flu shot. If & when a vaccine is developed, and it provides protection for a reasonable amount of time, that is.

Maybe we'll see a 2nd wave coming winter. Maybe some particularly nasty mutation will make for a particularly nasty comeback. Maybe not. But one way or the other, SARS-CoV-2 is here to stay. There's just too many carriers out there to stomp it out completely.

Handy tip. Most diseases tend to become less deadly as time goes on through mutations. Does not mean they don't spread as much, just don't kill as high a percentage of the infected.

.... Does not mean they don't spread as much, just don't kill as high a percentage of the infected.
    From the CDC website:

• Based on death certificate data, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia, influenza or COVID-19 (PIC) decreased from 6.9% during week 26 to 5.5% during week 27, representing the eleventh consecutive week during which a declining percentage of deaths due to PIC has been recorded. The percentage is currently below the epidemic threshold but will likely change as additional death certificates for deaths during recent weeks are processed.

"Below the epidemic threshold"?

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    have a nice day everyone
    You too.
    Don't worry about offending folks.
    Heck, you're probably the most loved member on all of CPF.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    [...] Heck, you're probably the most loved member on all of CPF.

Page 64 of 70 FirstFirst ... 14545758596061626364656667686970 LastLast