Looking for good household flashlight

ultrarunner2015

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys;
Can anyone recommend a good LED flashlight that can be wall mounted (so it's always visible and available when needed).
I prefer alkaline to rechargeable batteries, as the latter would require an electrical socket near the light, and that is not so easy to find in this old house.
Besides the lack of electric sockets in the right places, rechargeable batteries don't have nearly as long a runtime as alkalines do.

Thanks for your help
Ultrarunner

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of battery do you prefer? I've been impressed with my maglite ML300lx 2D light for around the house duty. You could easily hang it on any wall hanger from Lowe's. Run times are excellent and it's a form factor you would be familiar with. Several different mounting options. They are doing a Valentine's Day sale right now with 20% off.

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have this under a shelf, but it could be mounted on a wall.

VLFo5Cm.jpg

sgt253

Enlightened
I would suggest Mag as a good house light. I have one placed closest to front and back doors in my home. Pelican 3300 series could be an option. They have a box mounted light. The entire light body is electroluminescent. (Glow in the dark). Best of luck.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer alkaline

The Lumintop Tool
works on one AA Alkaline

The Tool, and all other lights that work on AA Alkaline,
also work on AA Eneloop, which is a brand of NiMh battery.

They can be recharged, but do not need to stay plugged in.
That may be a future upgrade option for you.

I have a few similar lights, that use one AA,
hanging on the walls of my old house.

I attach the lanyard, and hang it from a nail.

gToggkal.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Maglite dot com sells a kit that includes an ML25 light, batteries, an orange traffic wand and wall mount brackets for less than $30. The ML25 is a thrower beam light for seeing things at a distance so even though it does not put out tons of lumens it's a lot brighter than expected provided you are using it to see things at a distance. Searching a field for example. That one the head can be removed and used like a candle.

If you prefer a broader beam they have an ML50 kit too. That one would light up inside a barn for instance. That one has an eco setting that allows tons of runtime.

Both are 2C sized flashlights. Both are available in polished silver color but the kit only has black. You buy the wall mount separate in the accessories section.

If you do use alkaline batteries it is best to keep check on them frequently. I check mine each month when changing my comfort system filters. And I only use Rayovac alkaline batteries. If practical store alkalines outside of the light to ensure they don't leak.

Last edited:

morse code

Newly Enlightened
For alkaline flashlights you could never go wrong with the:
Nitecore EA41
or the
Manker MK41

https://amzn.to/2XqaEEj
They sell these mounts so you can mount these flashlights to a cabinet/wall

815WUKvEeVL.jpg

Last edited:

ultrarunner2015

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your suggestions;
I don't know what I was thinking when I said that I preferred alkaline batteries. I wouldn't trust them over long time. I would use Eneloops instead, or as was suggested, just get the rechargeable and top them off every few months. But if I did go with (built-in) rechargeable, I would want lithium vs NiMh. That said, I think I prefer the removable batteries so I can use the Eneloops.
I also need to keep the cost down. These lights are apt to eventually get lost somewhere. We have a 5yr old living in the house. That's the main reason for the wall mount. I will put them up too high for the kid to reach.
I would also prefer something larger than smaller, as it would be less likely to get lost. OTOH, another family member (not sure who) managed to lose a bright yellow lantern type light. Is cheap, so don't really care, but it bothers me that people can be so irresponsible with things like that. I on the other hand, have my own personal lights, and always know where they are, and that they have fully charged (Eneloop) batteries in them.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could do a streamlight survivor and mount the charging cradle to the wall!

But really I've always liked the size of the 3D maglite for this type of application. Get one of the brighter colors like red and it really is tough to loose. Maybe the C version could save some weight/bulk now that we have all these efficient LEDs...

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
You could do a streamlight survivor and mount the charging cradle to the wall!

But really I've always liked the size of the 3D maglite for this type of application. Get one of the brighter colors like red and it really is tough to loose. Maybe the C version could save some weight/bulk now that we have all these efficient LEDs...
3D is also way too heavy for an infant to carry around ;)

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno, my youngest isn't even two yet and he keeps stealing my axe! (It has a heavy leather sheath so no major safety concerns)