The LAST WORD On These Danged Reflectors!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Last word? Not really, but I made ya look, eh?

I finally received samples of the IMS reflectors, got a few "chopped" ones from Chop (I am just So Clevah with words lately, eh?), and had on hand a couple of *other* reflectors, one being used in other mods extensively now and, IMHO, is a Very Good reflector indeed (Pelican M6), and the other is the "Mystery Reflector" (MR) which, based on what little I know about light collimation technology just might possibly stand a chance of taking the Crown from everybody else...plus go hand in hand nicely with the King's Crown on the other end (thar's thet clevah-niss agin!)...

First of all here's everybody:

Refl%20All%20Line%20top.jpg

Refl%20All%20Line%20angle.jpg

Refl%20All%20Line%20side.jpg

From left to right:

IMS 17mm original (Chop's chopped one)
IMS 17mm new style (short legged)
IMS 17mm new style (long legged)
IMS 20.5mm
IMS 27.5mm
Pelican (cut down for Luxeon use)
Mystery Reflector (MR) - note greater cup depth which theoretically should capture more of the off-angle photons broadcast from the Luxeon, thereby catching and directing forward a greater volume of total light.

It is immediately apparent that barring a perfectly lucky placement between the mess of wires on top of the VIP's heatsink, the legs of the "new" version 17mm may possibly interfere with installation on the Luxeon. However those legs Could be cut.

Here's the three 17's again, up a little closer:

Refl%2017%20Line%20side.jpg

As can be seen, the only real differences are in the length of the legs, or in the case of the original design, no legs at all. The cups are about the same diameter and depth, plastic casting flash and vacuum metallized plating variances notwithstanding.

Here's a close-up of the three Big Boys - PR, 27.5mm and MR:

Refl%2027%20Line%20side.jpg

Although not verified with calipers, the 27.5mm and PR appear just about identical in diameter as well as depth:

Refl%2027-pr%20e.jpg

The MR however, is a hair narrower than the 27.5mm:

Refl%2027-mr%20e.jpg

But look at the obvious difference in cup depth:

Refl%2027-mr.jpg

Finally, note the differences in coarseness of texture between the three, as well as the areas on which they are applied:

Refl%2027%20Line%20angle.jpg

In my phone conversation with IMS VP Greg Rhoads he stated that as a result of their own independent research, the degree of stippling they designed into their reflectors was just enough to smooth out artifacts and no more. He said that additional texturing would only result in loss of overall collimated light.

Thus it can be seen that their 27.5mm has a "smoother" texture, and the MR's stippling is pretty much the same; however, the manufacturer of the MR reflector chose to leave the outer portion of the reflective surface mirror smooth, hopefully a knowledgeable twist on current technology to provide even greater forward throw than the 27.5mm -- we'll see, as I have already commenced production of the BH (that's *regular* BulkHead) using the MR reflector. The same CNC shop that did the VIP bodies is proceeding on this full speed ahead... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Hopefully this bold experiment will result in greater collective knowledge for CPF'ers, and greater benefit for about 2/3rds of the VIP buyers (I have a little less than 200 MR reflectors, with no more coming ever).

MY

Enlightened
Mr. B., Does this mean that you are now going to use the MR reflector as standard insue in 200 of the VIPs instead of the standard optic.

Please say yes. YES. Thank you.

Does the VIP come standard with the "regular" bulkhead or is this one of the optional larger heads.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Great post Charlie! Thanks for the images. I like the looks of the 20.5 too. It might be possible to squeak that one into a 1" OD head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, does that ever help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the great comparison photos and information.

Britt

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right. Looks like your "mystery reflector" might be designed with a shorter apex-directrix length. The result would be a shorter focal length and greater capture of the overall outout (this would be more true for a uniformly radiating source like a small incan filament) in a reflector of the same maximum interior diameter. You should be able to determine that this is the case if the focal point (presumably where you place the LED plane) is at the same relative location in the parabola as with the 27mm. For example, a millimeter or so from the rear, cut off edge of the parabola.

I would imagine that playing with similar reflectors in a "family" might be easy to do if one were to take castings of the L4, L5, L6 reflectors and use those as templates to tease out the focal length/diameter relationships and the resulting effect on collimation effciency.

Wilkey

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Don and Britt, thanks. The 20.5mm should fit a 1-incher with a lil' turnin' (certainly no problem for you, Don)...

MY, the MR reflector will only fit in a 1-1/4" or so head, hence the BH (which I will put up at Modder's BST when I get the go ahead from the machine shop). The lip of the MR could be turned off but then you run into spacing issues as optimal focus is not with the cone end exactly resting on the Luxeon's dome or base, and thus the lip is retained so that it will rest on the top edge of the new BH head with a bezel screwing down over it to be held firmly in place. Depending on the final configuration it may even be focusable.

The standard VIP will still come with the Fraen, centering problems notwithstanding.

The 17mm'er does indeed bring another facet to the VIP's output game - as KeithR has found out and already commented on in another thread, measured output can and sometimes actually will be the same or even vice versa, dependent upon a particular Luxeon3's flux variance. But for those who walk the dog, they can now swap out for the SO17XA to avoid stepping in *it*, then stick the Fraen back in to get that solid "slab of light" as Britt has also stated so eloquently elsewhere.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Good idea Wilkey; we already found the MR prior and had the workings all figured out, I was very pleased with the beam at that time. But if the 27.5mm (or Don's new PR equivalent) turns out to be its near equivalent (or perhaps even superior) later, then continued offerings of the BHs could be maintained with slight adjustments to the final machined configuration of the BulkHead's width and depth.

Ideally I would have liked to find a reflector with the MR/BH's output that still fit in the stock VIP head, but as I have always maintained - size Does matter... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have already put the original VIP optic back in my proto VIP because it gave a more powerful light beam. The sidespill seemed to weaken the intensity of the light which was measureable as well. Some will like the side spill with smaller hot spot of the reflector and some will like the blaster type effect of the optic in the VIP. Either way you can't go wrong.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
BuddTX said:
I AM SO CONFUSED!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruce here's the deal:

1) The VIPs will ship in their original form (w/Fraen).

2) Chop has been modding and selling the IMS 17mm reflectors for the VIP, you can order those from him.

3) The BH is currently in the works; I have already gotten back CNC machining quotes and accepted the best one. They are first making a CNC'd proto (at a cost to me of several hundred dollars!) and sending it over for exact and final fitting on one of my assembled VIPs, so I can make last minute adjustments if necessary (we want the focus and throw to be absolutely PERFECT when the head is screwed all the way down tight) before dialing in the exact NC parameters and letting the machines loose. It will use the MR reflector.

4) According to Otokoyama, the BBH is at about the same point in development, he is just weighing several different machining quotes and alternate methods of production.

Clear as mud now, I hope...

AnywaY, I gotta get back - TO VOTING!!!