Mag-Lite 2 cell LED conversion?

Steve C

Enlightened
Does such exist? I am aware of the TriLight, and think highly of InReTech's work, but 90 bones for something that is, in reality, just an LED version of my SL-20 doesn't make sense for my needs. Plus, I don't have a three-cell body.

What I'm looking for is a long-run general-purpose light for the house during outages, etc. I have plenty of "personal" stuff, but my job may take me away and I want the wife to have something that she won't have to constantly be changing batteries. We have a two-cell (D) Mag-Lite that my mother bought us for Y2K; bless her heart. If she only knew what we had rat-holed away for that non-event...

Anyway, I had completely forgotten about it and just found it the other day; still in the packaging.

Guess I should cough up for a LightWave 3000, eh?

Aloft

Enlightened
I'm fairly impressed by the EverLed, though it's a bit pricey to upgrade a $15 flashlight for $40. But it's still impressive, and I'll hopefully make it up in batteries. I've only tried the white EverLeds, the red ones are apparently backordered for some time.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED Supply quotes a 24 hr runtime on 2 D cells, if memory serves. It is optimal on three cells; runtime would be increased (30+), and it's brighter. In a 3D Mag, heat sinking wouldn't be a problem. It makes a great, long running emergency light. But the 2D would be fine.

Steve C

Enlightened
Thanks for the links and info. The guy I spoke with said 30 hours on two D cells. Guess he was confused.

Anyway, I ordered one. So we'll see...

Aloft

Enlightened
I haven't done a runtime test, I'm still on my first set of batteries. I have no reason to doubt that the runtime will be superior to the old halogen bulb though.

Steve C

Enlightened
Got it yesterday. In a word, it is marvelous.

The improvement over the issue incan bulb (2 D cell Mag-lite) is three-fold or better. It is a LOT brighter than I had expected. In fact, if I was still working the road, I would buy another one of these (and a 2 D cell Mag-Lite to go with it) for an auxillary light to keep in the unit. It doesn't have the throw of of my vintage SL-20, but for working a wreck it would be ideal.

We also have the new StreamLight combo light (3C-XP). The three-LED option on this one is more of a soft flood and is rather wan, IMO; although quite adequate in total darkness. But this Ever-LED is a serious piece of kit. It will replace my old SL-20 as my bedside "what was that?" light.

No more ****ing around with keeping the ni-cad topped off. And with the possible exception of a SureFire A2, I've bought my last incan light.

BTW, I also tried the EverLED in an el cheapo plastic 2 D cell Coleman light; ya know, the kind Wally World sells for a couple of bucks. Simply amazing; although the beam wasn't as bright as in the Mag-Lite. Guess it has a better reflector assembly.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the EverLED, and will probably get a couple more.

Aloft

Enlightened
I'm glad you like it Steve C! I recently garage sold all my old minimags (and they were old, not the new type), but for my 2 D Mags, I bought EverLEDS. I tend to use the light sparingly ("tactically", in the parlance of some CPFers), so my batteries probably die of old age before I use them up. I'm still waiting for my RED EverLED, but I guess thay're back ordered a bit. . . very impressed by the white ones though!

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both my red Everleds had some issues a few months back.
One went "SNAP!!!" in a 6d mag, the other eventually would only dimly glow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif
www.ledsupply.com sent me new white ones at my request as I sent them back my red ones under warranty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Steve C

Enlightened
I think I'm going to do a run-time test this evening; put some fresh batteries in it and let it run.

They (EverLED) claim 24 hours. I'll get home about 1500 tomorrow, so I'll be able to see just when it dies; assuming it lasts that long...

I had it out in the back forty last night. This really is a useful general-purpose light. I believe that the Mag-Lite's ability to focus the beam has a lot to do with the excellent spot this light puts out; the Ray-O-Vac el cheapo beam had some artifacts and wasn't nearly as "solid".

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gotta say I LOVE the EverLEDs too. I've got a 2D and 3D Mag as my two main lights. I use them nearly every day (only for a few minutes...taking out the trash and things like that) and I've had them for over a year, and I'm still using the original batteries! I've had several people comment on how bright they are too. A few months ago I wrecked my truck in the dark. The police officer that came even commented that my 2D mag was much brighter than his 4D! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve C

Enlightened
Well, I got side-tracked last night and completely forgot about my "test"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

So it commenced at 1940 tonight. I'm also "testing" a 4D cell el cheapo emergency lantern I found at Wally World for ten bucks. It is marketed by Energizer and has two light "tubes" in a housing that flips up 180 degrees for uni-directional light, or stays down and compact for semi-directional light. You can also select one tube, or both. I'm running it on both.

So far, seven hours on four Energizer Industrial alkalines that are five years old, but have been stored in a drawer in the house (more Y2K stash... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif), with no readily apparent dimming. I'm impressed.

Anybody know anything about this puppy? Never seen one like it before; its about seven inches tall, four inches wide, and 2.5 inches deep. Has a bail-style handle. Really compact, and puts out good white light; unlike those Coleman 4D cell emergency "lamps" and their wan yellow light that I paid good money for... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Anyway, stay tuned for a progress report on the EverLED/2D Mag-Lite. I put two fresh, recently-purchased Energizer "civilian" cells in it. That pile of industrial batteries I have stashed all have an expiration date of 2003, so they're suspect; but they're holding up well in the lantern.

Steve C

Enlightened
Well, after 24 straight hours, the beam has dimmed to about the level of an Opa-Lec NewBeam; IOW, still quite usable. I have no way to measure the actual lumens, or even quantify my observations, so I'll leave it at that.

I did install a pair of old batteries I've had in storage for some time to see how long they last. Check out the thread on alkalines in the batteries, etc. forum. Sorry, I still don't know my way around this site fully.

Anyway, I am VERY satisfied with this EverLED drop-in conversion.