The Explorer! 6 x Red/White Luxeons. 18watt light.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whilst waiting for the PocketMate parts to arrive, I thought I would put to good use a little stash of goodies I have:<ul type="square">
[*]3 x White High Dome Luxeon III, bin TWOH
[*]3 x Red High Dome Luxeon I, bin Q4FR
[*]3 x Carlco narrow optics (10003) and their holders
[*]1 x Fatman driver
[*]Blue OA2D host
[*]Custom 6AAto2D battery holder
[*]1 x UCL
[*]1 x Trisink heatsink
[*]3 x Mini sink
[*]Miscellaneous bits and pieces. Switch, caps, etc...
[/list]

... and the result, the Explorer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Explorer is a night exploration light with dual colour light output - red flood and medium white spot.. Powering the light with the colour selector switch toggle pointing away you, you'll get a 9 watt flood of red light giving you perfect night vision.

Once you spot something that needs immediate attention, flick the switch toggle towards yourself and you will have access to another 9 watts of medium level spot, blinding the target.

Here are some pics:

explorer3a.jpg

The business end with the 6 emitters clearly visible.

explorer3b.jpg

Business end with the Carlco Narrow Optics

explorer3c.jpg

explorer3d.jpg

Business end with UCL

explorer3e.jpg

Business end with UCL (see the lens tinting?)

explorer3f.jpg

explorer1a.jpg

Beam shot: White medium spot at 2m from the weathered fence

explorer1b.jpg

beam shot: Red flood at 2m from the fence

explorer1d.jpg

Beam shot: White medium spot at 1.5m from white wall

explorer1c.jpg

Beam shot: Red flood at 1.5m

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Hotbeam,

I love that light. I have once in awhile thought of two lights similar to that one.

The first one would be much simpler. I always thought it would be nice to have a light with flood and beam going at the same time to have a wall of light and a great hotspot at the same time.

The send thing I have thought about is exactly what you have there except in Royal Blue....Lots of things pop out that you cannot normally see under a dark blue.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice one Howard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Glad you're finding excellent uses for the Fatman driver. When I designed Fatman (over a w/end) I was wondering whether there was much use for a driver capable of handling multiple Luxeons - but it appears you and a bunch of others have put that question to rest!

george.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice work Howard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif It's about time for you to build me one of these using those X Bin LuxIII's you have been setting on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Later
Sway

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howard, glad you got the red's ok! I too have built my creation, but have to find someone with a camera again. I can't decide on optics... NX05, McFlood, or none! I've been going with none for a while and really like it that way.

What level are the whites being driven at?

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Cool beans!!! Great light!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I like the red/white option, but I agree with JSB that adding blue would really make this thing rock! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif It would be an all-purpose night light, and would really be in it's element hunting!

Plus, you would have a red, white, and blue light!!! That's a good way to support your American buds!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your kind words guys.

JSB... Blue would be nice. I could remove the red LuxIs and replace them with LuxIII blues /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That would be quite nice. I didn't do it because I already have a beast LuxV dental blue blaster /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

George... Yes, the Fatman's capability certainly has good uses. Thanks for your advice re the cap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ticey... Thanks. Well, I thought a red flood would be useful for the night and when the need arises, a flick a the switch and you will have have an instant white spot. Your greenie is nice! I thought about using the S017XA as well but wanted a more even flood of light.

Sway... LOL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you find those X LuxIII, let me know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Would you really need one of these lights?

Isaac... Hey. Thanks. Now you know what I did with those red Luxies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The TWOHs are driven at 1A. I would definately use some sort of optic/reflector. The flood is good but a bit of throw is nice too!

Leddy... red, white and blue would be kinda nice. Now I just need a 3-stage switch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
So that's where the trisink went.......what can I say, beautiful.

Say, do you have any of the 6AA holders for sale and when are you planning to do batch runs of the trisink for those of us who want to go nuts? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Moe

Newly Enlightened
Re: The Explorer! 6 x Red/White Luxeons. 18watt li

What a cool mod! Red / white is the best combination of colors i can think of.

Kiu

Enlightened

HB, You did a very well mod with the trisink!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
and very nice picture as well.

itice, where can I get a fatman? Are it still aviable?
I am really want to mod one of this. You mod very nice too!

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Kiu said:
where can I get a fatman? Are it still aviable?
I am really want to mod one of this. You mod very nice too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I still make & have Fatman drivers. You can find info about them on my web site

george.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

KevinL, Kiu did a good job with his trisink. However, if I were to make more Explorers, I'd get a different sink done to allow for the extra emitters.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dunno why the photos are not showing up in the first post.

Try these...

explorer3a.jpg

The business end with the 6 emitters clearly visible.

explorer3b.jpg

explorer3c.jpg

explorer3d.jpg

Business end with UCL

explorer3e.jpg

Business end with UCL (see the lens tinting?)

explorer3f.jpg

explorer1a.jpg

Beam shot: White medium spot at 2m from the weathered fence

explorer1b.jpg

beam shot: Red flood at 2m from the fence

explorer1d.jpg

Beam shot: White medium spot at 1.5m from white wall

explorer1c.jpg

Beam shot: Red flood at 1.5m

** EDIT. I see it is showing up again!!! WTH?

PANZERWOLF

Newly Enlightened

woah! nice one
since i want to mod my 4D m*g soon, that's a good inspiration
how do you drive the 2 modes with one fatman, since they should require different currents?
does the switch also change the regulation resistance?
is the light still weathertight with the switch you used?
what's the overall cost?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Panzerwolf, thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. The red LuxIs are overdriven to 700mA. Given the thermal transfer available for the LED, it will be fine. I would say the colour switch is weather resistant, rather than weather-proof. Parts alone cost me $230...

PANZERWOLF

Newly Enlightened

i'm thinking about the space behind the head ...
how about sliding contacts instead of external switch? ...
with dimming function? =)
i need a fatman NOW! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Howard: Each red is getting 700ma!? Ouch! Have you ran them for a while and measured output? Does the output drop quickly after a while? Or does it seem brigther on "dead" batteries? If so then the red's are getting too hot, and their output will actually decrease. Overdriving reds results in less output than underdriving them! Allthough others have done it to some extent before and gotten away with it. I think it was Slick who had a MM with several NiMH in series driving one!!

I can't wait for the new Luxeon product, they are making not only the RB-B-C-G-W but also R-RO-A in the new setup!!! can you say X bin 3W RO? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seeing excellent mod again makes me want to build a tri-luxIII w/20mm reflectors, and 8mm multi-die ISP white leds instead of the red lux's for white low power.. Hmm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

PANZERWOLF: How about this, a ring, with a rare earth magnet in it, that when rotated around the mag activates a reed-switch to change between modes? Keeps it waterproof /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You could even put the magnet in a ring on your finger and show people how only you had magic control of the brightness modes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Panzer... There is plenty of space behind the Hotlips in the switch cavity. OK. OK. You can build those switching and dimming functions!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Isaac... I'm afraid I haven't done any output tests on the reds. So output efficacy drops with increasing input current? I was not aware of that. Given that this light will not be sitting in front of a lux meter all the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, I am sure any reduction in output will not be that noticeable.

Oh, what info do you have on the new Lumiled LEDs? I haven't come across anything here...