Gerbers new "weird" lights....

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: Gerbers new \"weird\" lights....

I've got an evaluation sample of one of these things on the way.
Unless it's coming via "the slow boat", I should have it tomorrow or Monday.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very interesting.

However: Does anyone else thinks that the "Flash Flood" is a design rip-off of the Inova 24/7? I'm not saying that any one of the lights is better than the other. But I find it a little disturbing that Gerber could not come up with a slightly less obvious similar design, since I fail to see the great funtionality advantage of this particular design.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Anyone seen a price list for these lights? I really like the looks of the "Hornet".

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
elgarak said:
Very interesting.

However: Does anyone else thinks that the "Flash Flood" is a design rip-off of the Inova 24/7? I'm not saying that any one of the lights is better than the other. But I find it a little disturbing that Gerber could not come up with a slightly less obvious similar design, since I fail to see the great funtionality advantage of this particular design.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's actually alot of dive beacon lights that look very similar to this light. they were out even before the 24/7.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
Anyone seen a price list for these lights? I really like the looks of the "Hornet".

[/ QUOTE ]

i've tried a couple of the different online retailers but none of them are showing yet......

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

I put up a post about the Flash Flood late last month and got a downright cold reception. HERE Not one single reply... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been checking out that Flash Flood model, it's like INOVA 24/7. But the Flash Flood has a comlumated beam and is built heavier. This Gerber/CMG buy out come to something after all.

chiphead
--------------------------
If ain't got a chip in it, I don't want it.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
LEDmodMan said:
I put up a post about the Flash Flood late last month and got a downright cold reception. HERE Not one single reply... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

that happens to me alot too........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

honestly that particular one doesn't interest me much it's the hornet and inferno that im looking at. there's that other one too but can't remember the name.......

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
chiphead said:
I've been checking out that Flash Flood model, it's like INOVA 24/7. But the Flash Flood has a comlumated beam and is built heavier. This Gerber/CMG buy out come to something after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just picked up a 24/7 for my emergency bag. For that kind of use, lithiums really are required, so the 24/7 still wins, at least until lithium AAAs make it to market. But the Flash Flood does look like a very cool light, and the internal zipka-like wire is an interesting touch.

Joe

Arizona_Dan

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Roy -

I'm with you on the Hornet...not bad at $26...might be replacing my 1 lb (with cannister) Gaz Lumostar lantern for backpacking.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I'll have to get one of those Infernos. Looks interesting and fun. It's good to see Gerber/CMG thinking outside of the box.

Britt

extas

Newly Enlightened

wonder if the flash flood would be a good luxeon host. hrmm.. i like the 3 x aaa format. lol.

Niteowl

Enlightened

That Hornet looks like a winner to me also. I was told last week by Gerbers CS that some production snags were delaying shipments. I'll wait a while to see if there's any bugs involved. I'm curious how the expandable diffuser will hold up.

Not too sure about the Inferno. Different. A friend wants one, so I'll check his out.

Mark

lightbox

Newly Enlightened

Wow, i can't believe they actually produced these. I thought they were just concept designs. The mantis and hornet look pretty cool.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Niteowl said:
That Hornet looks like a winner to me also. I was told last week by Gerbers CS that some production snags were delaying shipments. I'll wait a while to see if there's any bugs involved. I'm curious how the expandable diffuser will hold up.

Not too sure about the Inferno. Different. A friend wants one, so I'll check his out.

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

theres a hornet on ebay for a buy it now price of $22, shipping isn't that bad either

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
lightbox said:
...The mantis and hornet look pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a Mantis, as of earlier today.
It's definitely an unusual light. It has a clamp that clips to anything up to approximately 0.75" thick, and has these accordion-like segments that you can unfold to extend the Mantis's reach.

I'll have a page about it up later this evening or sometime tomorrow morning.