Streamlight JR luxeon or modded minimag ?

exrty

Newly Enlightened
Which is best ?
I've seen modded like sandwich, lambda, ..

Regards

exrty

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lambda one for sure, it is a three Watter. The JR luxeon is only a one watter. On the othe hand the JR luxeon is the cheaper option as you don't need to supply your own flashlight.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
exrty

Welcome to CPF, I hope you have deep pockets as the temptation
to buy and mod many good flashlights and becomes irresistable.

exrty

Newly Enlightened
Sure. I had never imagine a such forum exists before to read it. At first i was just looking for acquire a mag directly from the USA.

nexro

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It seems like the lambda one is receiving a lot of attention. Probabaly due to the better heatsinking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Looks like the lambda one will be a better choice if you prefer a brigther light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

exrty

Newly Enlightened
I think i'm gonna order minimag and 3D mag and wait for the last lambda developpment. I will take a 3D MAG also for home purpose only in case of intrusion it could serve as a club... Curious also to know what could be done on a 3D mag basis.

Regards

BillRoberts

Newly Enlightened
I got the Terralux MiniStar 2 which is a 1 watt led for the mini-mag, and it works great.

In fact, I was working with another engineer who had a std maglight, and we were troubleshooting a contol panel. I almost felt like I had to apologize for having such a brighter whiter minimag light.

Actually I'm not sure I'd want a 3 watt for using indoors, if you use it for close up work, (like inside a control panel) The 1 watt can almost be blinding, and ruin you vision for efverything outside the beam.

Also, I get at least 3 good hours out of 2000 NiHH batteries.

And so far, I have been left in the dark for more that 2 hours a day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bill

2dim

Enlightened
I really like my Jr.Lux. It's quite light, relatively cheap and has a good beam for close-up work. Also, the momentary/clicky switch is convenient and the overall size allows use of Mag AA accessories. Regulation gives several hours runtime with NMH batteries. I suggest getting both the mod and the Streamlight. The company guarantees satisfaction so it's easily returnable or exchanged/repaired without any time limits, as far as I know. They've been good to me, anyway. BTW, I was told by them that a 3-watt flashlight will be released very soon. Maybe call for details and ask to speak with one of their engineers, if you want the latest info.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
3D mag? Try checking out Waynes mods at Elektrolumens.
Pentalux= 3watt x 5 = 15 watt super Mag LED. Big light though. I like my stock SL luxeon Jr. Nice small light, works great. Fits in pocket too. Good bang for the buck, just my opinion.

NikolaTesla

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID smokes LED!
Recent additions to My Lights: *** http://www.tjtech.org/gallery/NikolaTesla/Dscn3236

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Define "best" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have a SL Jr Luxeon, and think it's just the bees knees, or something like that. Nice and white, blows Minimags out of the water in terms of whiteness and output, and just generally a super useful and well made light. I wouldn't be much happier with it. Plus, you just open a blister pack and it's ready to go. Can't beat the price, either

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

Honestly I much prefer the SL Jr.

I have a mini-maglite 2AA with a teralux ministar in it.

I enjoy it very much as it litteraly doubbles the standard krypton bulb battery life of the mini-mag

It is very bright and with the new factory made reflector it has a very smooth beam.

The only downside to the ministar kit is that there is no colimnator lens, therefore you won't get as focused a beam as with the Jr.

If you need to compare. A SL Jr with 2300mAh nimh rechagable batteries will last as long as a regular factory krypton mini-maglite.

The minstar will last about 7-8 hours on regular alkaline batteries.

The tail clicky of the Jr is a nice touch, however you loose a laynard attatchment point (strap attatchment).

The ministar conversion is not realy focusable.

With rechagable batteries the SL Jr is a real treasure.

I've even purchased a solar battery charger (long time ago)

Now that's free energy.

Now if they had an adaptor for rechargable lION batteries for AA fl's that would be nice .

enjoy.

yt

NF

simbad

Enlightened
I have a MiniMag with Mini Star 2 powered by two L91 AA Lithium, it is very white and bright for more than 7 hours.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight is a dead-end for me. I've have the light and mostly just look at it. It is done, finished. No modding for the light. There is nothing to make in the light any better. It is no fun for me but I use it to compare other modded lights.

On the other hand the MiniMag is just the beginning for me. I want to give the light its own character by putting different options that are widely available. I've got 18 modded MiniMags with different flavors in front of me now but only one Streamlight Jr that is completely stock.

If my tastes change like wanting a different-tinted emitter, a different LED electronics or I want to chop the light in half (yes, I am the mass-destroyer of MiniMags)then a new creation has started and the whole circle of modding starts again. If I need any parts those parts are a couple of blocks away at ten different stores.

I vote for the modded MiniMag.

rdshores

Enlightened
The Streamlight Jr. has mod possibilities.

JRJR.jpg