out of town/bike race/flashlights galore

turbodog

Flashaholic
Leaving town in an hour or two for a 3 day weekend of 24 hour mtn bike races. Up all night, racing, 1000+ people running around with their lights. Lots of hid lights will be there. Should get to see some of the new led bike lights also. See you guys late Sunday night.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Last year, after the race was in it's 4th hour or so, my wife went and checked the standings for our team. She came back saying "2nd place". We then went around for the next few hours telling everyone this. Found out later we were in 2nd place..... that's 2nd from the top on the 2nd sheet of standings, which put us more like in 32nd place.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Got back late last night. Soooooo tired and sore. Will put up some photos later on. Tried to get some shots of the different lights at night; will have to see how they turned out.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Well, I looked at the pictures. The night photos turned out crummy. I need to re-read the manual for my camera. I have put up a few pictures though, for those interested.

conyers1.jpg

This is the campsite. Shows tables, chairs, etc. If you look cloesly you can see the dirt path between our canopy and the blue tent. The race course exists the woods for about 1/2 mile and runs around the camping area. We were lucky enough to be right on the course. That was nice when JP stopped by with a broken-off crank arm. It was also nice when Cliff stopp by with a snapped derailleur cable.

conyers2.jpg

Typical photo of some of the throng of people waiting for the race to start.

conyers3.jpg

Ty cleaning his chain and JP hanging out between laps.

conyers4.jpg

Night beamshot (hehe) of my fluorescent hanging light.

As far as lights went. We were using some nightrider and turbocat systems. About 25% of racers were using HID lights. About 25% of people were using crappy 25 dollar lights. I never understood putting a $25 light on a $1000+ plus bike...???

When we rode by the campsite, we would holler out so the rest of the team knew we had just passed. This let the next rider up know when to get ready. It was a pain to pick out our campsite from all the others though when you were flying by doing about 20-25 mph (with your tongue hanging out). I strapped my eternalight to the canopy and put it in flash mode. After that, it was easy to pickout our campsite.

My L4 got a lot of use clipped to the bill of my hat. It burned through 2 sets of batteries during the cable repair at about 3:30 a.m. Sunday morning.

We had a great time, and are already looking forward to next year. I'm spending the rest of today (Monday) recovering. My heart rate during the race usually was about 176 beats per minute. Can anyone say "lactic acid buildup"?