Lithium AAs ok in Streamlight Jr Luxeon?

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Botac.com is selling Lithium AAs with their Streamlight Jr. Luxeon and tells me over the phone that it's no problem and that their safe for the Jr. Lux. Streamlight tells me by phone that using anything other than alkaline AAs will void the warranty.

Anybody out there tried lithium AAs in the Jr.? Any advise?

Aloft

Enlightened
Streamlight told me the same thing about some of my other lights. . . they seem quite intransigent on the lithium issue. I've found that unregulated lights like their 4AA PolyPro LED seem to be more sensitive to the greater voltage of Lithiums, but regulated lights (I think the Jr. Lux is regulated) seem to work ok. Haven't worked up the cougage to fry my Jr. yet though. . .

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you (as a manufacturer) would have to be nuts to recommend higher voltage batteries, that are sure (maybe possibily) to increase your warranty return rate.

Kinda like saying +P .38 loads are OK in small frame revolvers.

I have used lithiums in my SL Task Light Lux with no problems, and it seems to have a much flatter run time at good brightness.

My Streamlight Jr. Lux, as overdriven as it is ( from the run time), sees regular alkalines, as does my SL 4AA7LED.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes,

I have run the Lithium AA's in my SL Jr Lux. and it works just fine. Look, it's a regulated light, and the initial voltage of the lithiums is only slightly higher than alkalines, so why would there be a problem? And it will run a LOT longer on two lithium AA's than on alkalines.

But I have only run one set through it. Perhaps I was just lucky or something, but personally, I think SL is just being over-careful and covering themselves, or something like that.

IIRC, I think that Energizer will replace anything that breaks due to the difference between the Lithium AAs and standard alk's. It's on the back of the package.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks js. It appears that you are the only poster to this forum that has been bold enough to try lithiums in the Jr. Would you care to guesstimate on the run time using lithiums? I know that the light is regulated, but did you notice any difference in brightness?

I also read Energizer statement that they will repair or replace any device damaged by their batteries.

It really surprises me that you are the only person in this forum that's tried this when I see all the various ways members put their lights at risk that aren't covered by any manufacturer. Until your post, the only response I'd gotten is that it's not recommended by Streamlight and it would void the warranty. Using rechargeables voids the warranty also, but people do it all the time. This just puzzles me.

I haven't bought a Jr. yet, but I probably will after I take care of some other expenses. I already have the lithiums, but no lights that I want to use them in.

Thanks again js.

ob1

Newly Enlightened
Lightobsession:
The Streamlight Lux Jr is a great light, and Lithiums shouldn't break the light so don't worry. My Streamlight Lux Jr is one of my EDCs. I run 2500mah nimh energizer batteries in mine.

rdshores

Enlightened
Does anyone know if the Streamlight JR is still the low dome Luxeon? I bought one when they first came out and it has the LD emitter. Wonder if they plan to go to the high dome anytime?