I Really Like the Look of PEAK's

lenny

Newly Enlightened
I Really Like the Look of PEAK\'s

Yeah, they look really nice and seem to be well made.
I don't have one yet, but am considering the 1 x AA or 1 x 123 models. However, I'm starting to gravitate toward AA models due to battery availability and cost
Are there any models that are real standouts in their line?
Are there any that I should avoid?
Do the multiple LED models really put out more light?
Whatever I choose will be an EDC so size is a consideration and it has to put out more light than my ARC AAA so keep that in mind.
Lenny

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I Really Like the Look of PEAK\'s

I have been considering a single led 123 model for a candle. It wont be that bright for its size but it might be nice as a long running light for those power failures.

Larry1582

Enlightened

I bought one of the brass hi-power 1 LED AAA lights. I really like it. It is a little bigger than the ARC AAA, but at least it turns on 100% of the time unlike the two ARC AAA lights I have.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Lenny,

Having just recently gone down this road myself, I would suggest that you look at the multiple LED High Power models. I have a 3 LED AAA and a 5 LED AA. Both are noticeably brighter than the ARC AAA, and if you go for the Snow LED's, will be whiter than the ARC. They are longer, but I have not found that to be a problem in EDC.

It is interesting that the beam (beyond 6') of the 3 LED AAA and the 5 LED AA is about the same size. Of course the 5 LED is brighter.

Tom

DanM

Newly Enlightened

I have found Peaks AAA and AA lights to be very nice. I have one, three, and five LED lights in AA and AAA they fill a need to have a great light in a common battery.

I love the look and feel of Peak lights. I have several, including the new 1x123 McKinley Stainless Steel (7 LED high power snow). They're not the most powerful lights in the world (yet) but they are certainly quality-built. I highly recommend a brass or stainless steel McKinley as your first one.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an AA - 5 LED light. Get the hi-power version!!!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

According to flashlightreviews.com, the 5 LED single AA put out the most total light. Seems odd that the single 123 with 7 LEDs didn't put out more.

According to one of Dougs posts, they were all supposed to be standard power LEDs.

I just ordered one of the prototype N cells with a single LED but I plan on getting an aluminum 1xAA 5 snow LEDs in HP super/mega/ultra HP (or whatever they call it) through the custom shop. And I think one of the double 123s with 7 HP (or S/M/U HP) snow LEDs on one end and a single red regular power LED on the other end might be nice for a larger light.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cratz2 said:
According to flashlightreviews.com, the 5 LED single AA put out the most total light. Seems odd that the single 123 with 7 LEDs didn't put out more.

According to one of Dougs posts, they were all supposed to be standard power LEDs.

I just ordered one of the prototype N cells with a single LED but I plan on getting an aluminum 1xAA 5 snow LEDs in HP super/mega/ultra HP (or whatever they call it) through the custom shop. And I think one of the double 123s with 7 HP (or S/M/U HP) snow LEDs on one end and a single red regular power LED on the other end might be nice for a larger light.

[/ QUOTE ]

let us know about the N's cell, i am looking at the peaks too, and intend to get the AAA 1 and 3 LED, and a N 1 LED.VDG

gorlank

Enlightened

I just received a few of the N cell prototypes from Peak, (nice folks to deal with btw). I just popped out the brass two N cell Peak light. Build quality is very impressive, high quality machining and knurling. However the led is quite dim especially considering it operates off of two "N" batteries. The light is quite long as well, a little over three and a half inches long. For comparison the Arc AAA is a little over two and three quarters inches. I'll try to take a pic later on. Hopefully I'll be able to get one of the AA bodies from Peak to at least use it with more common AA batteries. Body quality is so high I'd think these would make good starting points for interesting mods.

d'mo

Enlightened

I just got one of their stainless steel 3x5MM LED AAA lights. It's MUCH longer than it needs to be, but is a pleasant looking light. The stainless feels great too.

skr

Newly Enlightened

gorlank,
I believe those 2xN lights only operate off of a single N cell, with the other cell there only for storage -- or for use with a second head on the other end of the light. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

Raybo

Enlightened

I have a proto N cell light, both batteries are on line.

I also just recieved the hi power 3 led snow head for the N cell, it fits on the proto body perfectly and puts out some serious light.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks are not everything, although the Peak does look nice,
I'm not to sure about the twist action of the head, wear and
tear on the battery contact.

Elmie

Enlightened

Am I the only one that thinks the finish of the light is crap?
Most of you think its perfect on the quality of the finsh. I have the 5 LED AA and the finish on the flat sides of the head aren't even stright. they run slightly diagnol. Otherwise the light works just fine. And as some have said it is longer than it needs to be. And that plastic key ring loop just doesn't cut it.
Until they improve on these items I will not be purchasing another Peak light.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

All of the alkaline N cell I have are not really made for a higher load.
That means that my N cell lights behave better with NiMH rechargeables, although I have not checked the voltage under load for both (I think I do not have any alkalines left over).
With a NiMH cell, the (single N) Peak lights are as bright as the other single cell ones (of course). And BTW, brighter as my old ArcAAA Premium.
Finish on all Peak lights I have and had is first class.
And the come on absolutely every time (up to now), unlike other lights of a similar form factor.

gorlank

Enlightened

Elmie,

I can only judge from the N cell prototypes that I've received but the finish on them is first rate. Also the key ring on the end is metal not plastic. The brass versions are particularly impressive, the brass adds a nice heft to them.
Does anyone know a source for rechargable N cells. I went to the local Radio Shack but they only had alkalines, 2 for $3.00!
I am tempted by the high power 3 led head but at $29.95 it's a little pricier than I'd like. I'll probably give in to the temptation though.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast

gorlank- TnC has 500mAh rechargeable N cells and adapter to charge them in an AA charger. They work really well.
Look HERE