Compare for me-Aleph TK vs. Surefire.

N710

Newly Enlightened
I am really close to buying a Aleph 1 DB 917 3watter 2 cell Turnkey Unit.

I like 2 cell lights the best for EDC and my EDC has for a few years been a very white and no donut hole L4.I also own a very good U2 and a fantastic newest generation KL1.

Do I have anything to gain by including this Aleph into my collection? I like the output of the L4 but would like more throw,the U2 is a little large to EDC and the KL1 has no sidespill but I like its runtime so sometimes I rotate it into EDC.

What kind of output in lumens will this Aleph produce and how would the beam compare to my L4 and U2 on high?

Thanks in advance for any input.

N710

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys!

Anyone ompared a Aleph DB917 Lux3 on 2 cellls in the Aleph 1 head to a L4,U2 on high?

seattlite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
N710 said:
Thanks guys!

Anyone ompared a Aleph DB917 Lux3 on 2 cellls in the Aleph 1 head to a L4,U2 on high?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a Aleph 1/Wiz2-1000/Lux3/TXOJ build by Don. I compared it to my L5, G2. The Aleph has a "brighter" more concentrated "hot spot" than the L5. Spill was adequite, but the L5 is much better. The L5 is superior as a "flood" light, but the Aleph out throws both the L5, and G2. I compared the Aleph, L4, L2 at my local SF dealer. Again the Aleph had a "brighter" hotspot, than the L4 and L2. The L4 and L2 were more flood lights. The L2 was NOTICEABLY brighter than the L4. I was planning on getting the L4 for EDC, since the L2 didn't take Pilas, and the Aleph was kind of pricey, but I was really disappointed in the L4's beam.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire 5 watt lights (L2, L4, L5, U2, L6 etc) have greater output of light while the Aleph series with a Lux III will have adequate sidespill with great throw. If you need throw with some sidespill then an Aleph series with a Lux III is for you.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with those above. The Aleph1 and Aleph3 have great throw with some spill. The U2 has lots of spill and less throw. It really depends on your primary needs. The Alephs are better for illuminating dark spaces outside from a distance, while the U2 is better for bathing a room or nearby area with light.

The Aleph2 head does have a wider spill with not as intense a hotspot, so is a little closer to the beam type of the U2.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Beamshots of an Aleph1 with a DB917:
relux3ww27.jpg

relux327.jpg

And of the other lights you wanted with the same camera exposure:
realtl4.jpg

realtu2level6.jpg

To sum it up ... the Aleph1 will win in the throw-department hands-down but has a weaker sidespill than the 5W lights (of course). The runtime is also superior on the high level than the two other contenders. The total light output it less though.

bernhard