IBM Thinkpad no more?

supes

Enlightened
I read in PC magazine that IBM's PC division is being bought by a China company Lenavo or something. I was really looking at getting a Thinkpad too but now I'm not sure if I should get one. Anyone have any input on this?

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
My uncle has a ThinkPad T21 (I think) with the titanium inner-skeleton. He has dropped it 3 times. He said that one of those times was from about 4 feet onto the street as he was getting out of his car. It's a tough little laptop. I love the screen on it. It's very btight and clear. That's all I know, sorry.

I don't know if they are changing for the worse or better.

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened
I heard about the IBM deal with Lenovo (chinese co.). I do not think the deal has push through yet and is currently being looked into by the Feds.

Also, i just bought a T42 laptop a few days ago. It is made in China (most probably by Lenovo). I still haven't thoroughly tested it yet, but my first impression is that the Laptop is solid.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
All IBM PCs/Laptops are already being made in China. The take over by Lenovo is simply a matter of paperwork and will have no impact on the current product line.

AW

Newly Enlightened
I think the US Congress is not going to approve the deal because of plain simple protectionism. Remember the Global Crossing deal last year? Hutchison Whampoa had to back out because of the hassle. The Big Blue is a US Icon, they just not going to let a Chinese company get it. Political or otherwise.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC it's ThinkPad not IBM that is being sold and they will keep the name for 5 years before migrating it to the new company. Kind of like Lexmark printers were. IBM got rid of their hard drive division to Hitachi a while back. I'm not certain this is too different except that the brand is more recognizable.

-LT

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Supes...

I just bought a ThinkPad T42p laptop. I haven`t used it much it yet, but I`ll start doing so shortly, through a docking station at my law office.

It`s solidly constructed, and so far works beautifully.

Best wishes.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
well thats a shame, they are among the best built of the PC laptops. But they have never been pretty or trendy or at the top of the curve for performance or all that buzzword compliant. So their marketing department dropped the ball I guess. IBM has always been very good at selling to the corporate client, but I guess that alone wasn't enough to keep the thinkpads profitable.

If they go away it certainly isn't due to problems with the product.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, I like ThinkPads. They have been profitable which is why/how they were sold. Fattened up for the slaughter I guess. IBM seems to be moving in a different direction; less product more services. Kind of sad . . .but nobody asked me.

-LT

blue

Newly Enlightened
IBM plants for PCs are spread out more than just China... either Mexico or Brasil, I can't recall, also had plants.

As for the direction they are moving in, it comes down to global economics. How do you sustain the needed margins to keep your stock at a reasonable level and the company viable longterm. PCs, laptops are a commodity.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spent years as a reseller/support center and found that they broke as much as the other corporate laptops (HP omnibook, Compaq Armada). I was never able to consider one for myself because they never had a touchpad.

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened
The newer T42 models and the R51 models do come with the pointer AND touchpad. I don't know about the other models or exactly when they started adding the touchpads.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, I noticed after I bought my current laptop that they started adding the TP but it was too late then. It will be a while before its time to upgrade so I'll have to look then and see.