don't reply to PMs from e-mail....Bad Jon

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
don\'t reply to PMs from e-mail....Bad Jon

Ack,,,,

I forgot again. I replied to a PM forwarded to my email from my email. Bad Jon. I thought I would scold myself for my sin.

Bad Jon

Sorry Sasha

Greta

Flashaholic
Re: don\'t reply to PMs from e-mail....Bad Jon

Just for clarification....

If you have your preferences on CPF set so that you receive email notifications of PM's, please do not reply to the PM by clicking on the reply button for your email. If you read the PM notification, you will clearly see at both the top and bottom of the notification... in capital letters... you have to actually glance over it in order to read your PM... it says...

****DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. YOU MUST REPLY USING THE PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM AT THE SITE.****

Now... if you don't heed this warning and click your reply button anyway and answer your PM by email... instead of following the directions and coming here to CPF and answering the PM through the PM system here... then guess who gets the email reply? ... Yep... ME! ... and yep... I read them... every single one of them. Because if you all aren't going to follow directions... well... I figure they are fair game. And let me tell you something else... I know stuff about some of you guys that I KNOW you'd be embarassed as hell to know that I know... but now you do know that I know... don't you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif And I know about ALOT of private deals and dealings that are going on behind the scenes too... again... alot that you all would not want made public.

So what's my point here? It's simple...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif PAY ATTENTION!!! FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!!! ... AND FOR GOD'S SAKE, STOP FILLING UP MY EMAIL WITH YOUR PM REPLIES!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

Brock

Flashaholic

Maybe we should post a couple as an example /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

Sasha, woudld you like me to see if I can set up an address that would parse the reply and get it to the right box? Or at least have it bounce back gently telling the folks what fools they've been?

I run my own mail servers, so it would not be that hard to set up an address something like [email protected] where a script would gently remind the sender to use PM for the reply.

Daniel
(And I promise not to peek)

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

It's too bad that the CPF system does not support an e-mail interface to the PM system.

Daniel

(hows that for a cleaver way to cover up a double post, eh?)

Greta

Flashaholic

Daniel... thanks for the offer but I guess I just have this thing about people following directions. Call it a pet peeve of mine, if you will... but I just feel that I shouldn't have to have scripts written or do extra work just because people can't READ and FOLLOW DIRECTIONS!! .... kinda makes one wonder if they are the same way with everything else in their lives as well... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

It's not that we don't read and follow directions.... It's that we are thinking about the content of the message and not the way it was delivered. After the 10th or 20th mail with
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
****DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. YOU MUST REPLY USING THE PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM
AT THE SITE.****
</pre><hr />

you tend to skip over it and go right to the message. I know I do. The problem is worsened by the tendancy of the message to have exciting (or at least waited for) content.

Wait! It gets worse! I know I no longer read the message immediately above that line, as I have read it before and know aht it will say. If it ever changes I will be one of many that will be caught being inattentive.

In answer to your question, I am told that I am too detail oriented and literal in most things. As a fellow systems person, you know how that goes.

Daniel

Greta

Flashaholic

Daniel... perhaps it just goes with whatever job one happens to have. I'm used to reading the directions... every single time... regardless if I think I've seen them a million times before or not. Think about prescriptions... missing one tiny little thing... for example... "QD" means "every day"... "QID" means "four times a day"... depending on the med and what it's for, if you miss that "I" (or worse still, add it!), you could kill someone. So I read everything... top to bottom... every single time. I realize it's not fair to impose my OCD on others... but... well... if I can do it... so can others... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Greta

Flashaholic

OH... and one other thing to add to this thread...

I'm sorry Jon that you are being used as an example here... in all honesty, I don't think I've received more than 3, maybe 4, of these from you in the past 3 years! We all make occasional mistakes... and that doesn't bother me. What bothers me are the ones who do it over and over and over... damn, I wish *I* got the amount of PM's they do!!! (not really!!! So everyone don't start sending me PM's!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif ) ... But you did present the perfect opportunity for me to address an issue that simply just drives me nuts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

DaFiend

Enlightened

this has turned into a problems/suggestions thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Um, i don't think you have recieved any from me..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif I Hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif Bad john!

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast

I too have gotten excited or not payed attention to what I was doing and responded via e-mail to the PM notifications.

mut

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

If I remember correctly, I've done this exactly once. I realised the mistake right away, and sent Sasha a second email telling her to disregard the first.