I need help picking a high performance flashlight

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Hi everyone, I've been a member of CPF for a month or so, pretty much spending all my time in the laser forum as they are my main interest. However the flashlight craze that's going on around here is rubbing off on me. Don't laugh, I own several large Maglights that run on 3 or 4 D cell batteries and I think I've had them for so long that there were no lightbulb options at all, they were all incandesent.
So I have a few questions.
Is there an FAQ or website that has lots of info for a newbie? What give the most output power, battery life, best built? How do you covert between all these specs like candlepower, lumens, lux and such? Are LED brighter than the incandesent? Has technology come so far that the old D cell maglight I have, that seems pretty darn bright; could be replaced by something smaller that puts out even more light and maybe lasts much longer?
Thanks in advance if anyone can answer some of these questions and or point me to a site or sites where I can learn more about these things to help me in my quest for a great new flashlight.

Jack

Size15's

Flashaholic
Re: I need help picking a high performance flashli

Hi Jack

First of all I think you need to tell us what sorts of applications you are anticipating using a flashlight for.

What gives the most output power and battery life ?
Usually its normal for battery life (aka runtime) to decrease as output power is increased.
Therefore a 500 Lumen SureFire M6 or 10X is about the brightest sort of normal sized flashlight (similar to a 2D or 3D Maglight in size) but they have a runtime of about 20 minutes.
They are also so bright they are mostly for use outdoors and illuminating things further away.

Best built?
I'd say SureFire but I think it is fair to say that quite a few companies are really on the ball most of the time with regards to build quality.

It is not possible to convert between candlepower and lumens. It's like trying to convert feet to gallons. Lux is normally given as the intensity of light the sensor is detecting at a given distance from the light source. Lumens is normally the total amount of light. Candlepower is normally a marketing device that should be ignored. It is not possible to compare the output rating of different companies. There is no standardised method of measuring and rating flashlight output.

Your D cell Maglights are history. Things have moved on significantly in every area. Bulbs, reflectors, batteries, switches, materials, construction, batteries, ergonomics. Everything.

I don't have a 4D Maglight but I'm pretty sure that the SureFire E2e outputs more overal light and it is a significantly smaller flashlight. It's been won't shine as far because the E2e's reflector is much smaller in depth and diameter.
As for lasting longer - runtime has tended to be shortened in order to save space. However, the quality of light from modern flashlights will remain far more consistant throughout the runtime that in reality you are gaining.

I hope that people will be giving their answers to your questions as well.

If I was asked to suggest a high performance flashlight for somebody getting started in the flashlight hobby I would suggest getting a SureFire E2e. You can then built (convert) this into an LED light using accessory bezels such as the KL1 and KL4.

If you have an application in mind another light(s) may be more appropriate.

Al

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast

www.flashlightreviews.com is a good place to start. Quickbeam, its creator, has some good general explanations there. LED's are rarely brighter than incandecents (yet) but their advantages are a whiter light that doesn't redden as the batteries fade, the fact that they are solid state makes them virtually impervious to shock, and most will work for about 10 years constantly on before needing to be replaced.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's also the led museum where a lot of cpfer's started.
It's worth checking out.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ditto what both Size15 and Solstice say above.

As a first starter high performance flashlight, I'd add the 6P (Surefire) to the list to consider. Its relatively cheap ($56), and has good output for its size. If you can live with soft anodize 2 finish (like your Mags have), then I think its a good bet. I like the Executive series too, but they run about $30 more per light--perhaps a little too much for someone just starting out in the hobby?

Size15's

Flashaholic

I figure that if you don't get an E2e to begin with you will pretty much be getting one (or at least an E2L or L4) at some point. I find the E2e a far more useful flashlight to the 6P. The E2e can be carried clipped inside your pocket with ease. It's compact (slim) and very practical.

Al

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just get a SureFire A2 to start with. And then get a super bright incan, such as the SF M6 or TigerLight or SF 10X.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

bootleg2go

Enlightened

Thanks guy's, this gives me a good starting point.

Jack

Wrangler

Enlightened

A nice starter kit could be a Pelican PM6 LED + a Xenon spare bulp. You can change between them and get a nice, bright and white LED light with a good runtime and a very good thrower when using the incan bulp, in one single light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wolfgang