no company makes the light that I want

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want a small light (under 4.5inches), luxeon high dome (I or III), has ALOT of throw, and is under $70.

-David /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh! Is that all? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I know. No problem. Make it yourself! And modding is fun! (Just a thought). Plus it will certainly give you some perspective on flashlight prices. You will go from "How can they seriously charge $xxx for that light?" to "How can they manage to make that light for only $yyy?"

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a modder, and the items will cost way too much.

-David

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ain't it the truth.

Sorry, David, I was just having some fun at your expense. But perhaps someone will have a few suggestions.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:
I want a small light (under 4.5inches), luxeon high dome (I or III), has ALOT of throw, and is under $70.

-David /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want lots of throw for a small light, just forgot the luxeon and get yourself a laser pointer. They throw, are small, AND generally (red ones) are under $50.

(joking)

Ophiuchus

Newly Enlightened
Cheapo, Over the price range by $20.00 US dollars or so. I would opt for SF KL1 bezel and Vital Gear FB1 body. Throw, compact, good tint and good runtime for single cell light. This is impressive combination for under $100.00 US.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Ophiuchus said:
Cheapo, Over the price range by $20.00 US dollars or so. I would opt for SF KL1 bezel and Vital Gear FB1 body. Throw, compact, good tint and good runtime for single cell light. This is impressive combination for under $100.00 US.

[/ QUOTE ]

WORD.

I use two VG 1X123 bodies with new KL-1 heads.
my fav single level light now. used i bet they would be even better priced. VDG

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, can you guys help me get ahold of a vital-gear body?

-David

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your options will be limited because your expectations at this stage of LED technology are too high.

GregR

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
I still think a Micra would serve you well.

But for hardly any money at all you can buy a Q-III. Just do it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do any of the Inova "T" series fit the bill? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cy

Flashaholic
to get great throw. You need a great reflector. it gets no better than the fab Pelican 27mm reflector used in Mcluxes.

please consider a Pelican M6 LED light. Kevin has a special going on. don't remember price, but way under $70

I've got a PM6 moded with a 5watt w/xbin brightness and bored out to accept 18650. one sweet setup.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I saw the micra review on flashlightreview and it has exactly the same amount of throw as Q3. Q3 has too little throw for me. I am thinking about Inova T3 or Litepro Spitfire I.

-David

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
The T3 is a great choice, but it's certainly longer than the length you specified.

Are you sure you know what you want? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Not sure how long the T1 is but the X0 is well over 5" long.

This just remind me of a sign one of our engineers has on his door:

Software
* Good
* Fast
* Cheap
Choose 2 out of 3.

Offhand I cannot think of anything which will satisfy all of the OPs requirements but if he is willing to give on any one of the requirements he has specified I can think of several possibilities.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
The T1 is in the same ballpart as the Q-III. It has the same throw, around the same runtime ans is fully regulated, but has slightly less overall output and a higher pricetag.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:
Well, I saw the micra review on flashlightreview and it has exactly the same amount of throw as Q3. Q3 has too little throw for me. I am thinking about Inova T3 or Litepro Spitfire I.

-David

[/ QUOTE ]

The Micra tested maybe was driven less hard--maybe they improved the circuit in the newest version? That explains the good runtime Doug got.

All of my Micras throw farther than my Q3s. Perhaps mine are driven harder, but I do pay the price. Runtime has suffered, especially on my c.u. green tinted Micra.

For the amount of throw you want, at the size and price you want, you simply won't find anything given modern LED technology. If you can modify your requirements, you can get a great throwing light, but you will have to give up size and /or price.